Ceiling Clouds (For Tom treitz3 and others)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
@sbnx -

Todd, I am SO sorry that I did not see this post until now...

I have no excuse or even a reason to how or why I missed this. Thank you for pointing to me. I was running a search on something else tonight and just so happened to run across this thread. I felt like I hit a brick wall when you specifically called me out and brought this to my attention.

DOH!

Anyhoo, it was a pleasure to have met you and the other folks at LSAF. I have been and am still interested in what this thread describes. Thank you, sir. It may be many years later that I finally responded but I do thank you. We shall meet again and dinner is on me bro'. ....dang

(Damn, I feel bad now...I had no clue.....)

Tom

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Tom, no worries. I had forgotten all about this post but glad you discovered it. You seemed pretty interested in the idea of ceiling treatment when we talked back in 2019.

Maybe we will see each other again if there is ever another LSAF. There hasn't been one since Covid and from the posts over there it seems a lot of feathers were ruffled when deciding to have it in 2020/2021.

Todd

Reactions: christoph

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
This project was completed in mid 2022 but seemed relevant to this thread... After adding Atmos overhead channels to our dual duty stereo & multi-channel big rig 2 years ago, I eventually decided to address the primary ceiling reflections of both the bed surrounds and the new rear Atmos channels. While at it I added some overhead 2D QRD diffusion as well.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I’m a big fan of using the ceiling for acoustic treatments. In one setup I’ve got diffusion above my head, absorption in key places, and both broadband and bass-focused RPG devices at key points around the perimeter where modeling suggested they’d be particularly efficacious. In another setup we simply installed a “decorative” treatment in the beamed ceiling that is 3” fiberglass floated 2” off the ceiling surface. Both were transformative and leveraged otherwise ”unused” space.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
As I am in the middle of designing the new room, I do have to ask for those who have done this...

What is the optimal point to place said ceiling absorption/diffraction panels?

Todd, on a different note? It was great to see you again at LSAF this year and I look forward to visiting with you next year. I do not think I can swing both events down there due to work obligations/schedule but I am looking forward to spending some extra time down there to listen to different systems either before or after said event (SWAF).

Tom

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
As I am in the middle of designing the new room, I do have to ask for those who have done this...

What is the optimal point to place said ceiling absorption/diffraction panels?

I put mine on the first reflection points between listener and tweeters of the speakers. For that, I established the optimal mid-point with a mirror on the ceiling. Once I could see the tweeter in the mirror while seated at my listening spot, that was the mid-point around which I installed the panels (I did it for one speaker, the mid-point for the other speaker followed geometrically). The panels covered enough space that some movement of either speaker position or listening seat position was tolerated.

It's basically the same concept as for first reflection points on the sidewalls, but then on the ceiling.

This approach of course requires at least approximate knowledge of the preferred listening and speaker positions. Those cannot be quite known at the time of designing the room (computer models only go so far), so perhaps it is best to install ceiling panels after some lived experience.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
An alternative would be to cover a large area from the onset, upon designing the room. But then the ceiling panels would best be entirely diffractive, with no or minimal absorption factor, such as wood diffractors would provide.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Al M. is right on. Two choices. 1. move in the room and place your chair and speakers then add a few panels at the point of first reflection. or 2. cover a big enough ceiing area that would allow a generous area to move the speakers and still cover the reflection point.

Also, my philosophy is to go ahead and hang thick panels on the ceiling as they are very unobtrusive up there. Something like the GIK Monster Bass panel that is 7.3" thick. A few of these on the ceiling will go quite a way in treating the room. I also see GIK has now come out with a bracket that enables ceiling mount very easy.

I forgot to say, my choice would be option 1 for the best sound. Option 2 is more convenient.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing