CH Precision A1

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Your Dragons will definitely be on top of my shopping list when I have the space and I hope to have that space very soon. I will then have you design the room for me! Any advice on how to put the server together for the C1? I'm absolutely delighted to know that it can scale the height of the Air Force One.

Tan, I said "almost" :D

There's lots of information on putting together your own server here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7385-Gary-s-Music-Server

I normally build a new server every year for CES. However, this year I was so smitten by the Air Force One that I'm not even bringing a server. Digital pales in comparison because we mostly have Redbook files, and the digital that approach the LP are rare.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Tan, I said "almost" :D

There's lots of information on putting together your own server here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7385-Gary-s-Music-Server

I normally build a new server every year for CES. However, this year I was so smitten by the Air Force One that I'm not even bringing a server. Digital pales in comparison because we mostly have Redbook files, and the digital that approach the LP are rare.

"Almost" is good enough. In fact, when you can pit any piece of equipment against the Air Force One, it will be good enough.

Last edited:

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
The sound of A1 is different on the feedback levels - at 100% the sound is smooth and warm, at 0% brighter.

On different type of music try feedback levels between 40-80%.

On bright recordings try more feedback for smoothing out the sound, and one can listen to it for a long time.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Inverted tweeters; you have your own set of informations about them tweeters Wiz?

...The other drivers as well, and the rest of the enclosure's design. ...And the crossover network.

Then we can have a better perspective by what drives them best at the end. :b

wizard

Oct 17, 2010

At Audio Arts in NYC - speakers are Zellaton Concert and Trinity preamp + phono stage.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
Could someone write a few words about the sound of CH Precision full system?

From my friend.

"Burmester 911 III monos is "old good sound" which works well with most of the garbage speakers the on market today because it's colored, soft but powerful - offering an overall pleasing sound - never offends.

Once you use a speaker like Zellaton the rules change and you hear the coloration's, noise and somewhat slow quality of the 911 III. Once the CH A1 is in, the noise floor drops significantly and the lens is sharpened with finer detail but coherent and much more linear and honest. Using Zellaton speakers, A1 and C1 with ethernet streaming/NAS is another world. The A1 just keeps getting better - makes everything else sound dated..."

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Who doesn't like "old good sound" or even better, good old sound? :D

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is that from your friend Gideon? If so, you should note that he is the distributor for CH Precision and Zellaton and the assessment of the gear should be colored with that fact. Afterall, it's a preference.

:)

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
Is that from your friend Gideon? If so, you should note that he is the distributor for CH Precision and Zellaton and the assessment of the gear should be colored with that fact. Afterall, it's a preference.

Yes its Gideon, I met him first at Highend 2013 in May.
I heard C1 and A1 before I met him, so I know the sound is outstanding.

And the Zellaton speakers he refers to - Studio Ref One - heard them with Analog Domain amp and Vdh Emerald preamp - these are one of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard.
The speakers use a special widebander driver and a woofer by Podszus.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes its Gideon, I met him first at Highend 2013 in May.
I heard C1 and A1 before I met him, so I know the sound is outstanding.
(...)

Wizard,
I really enjoy having your opinion on the nice goodies you often show us first hand. However, in all frankness, I find this particular reference to other brands unfriendly and unfair, specially as you are just transmitting others opinion.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
Wizard,
I really enjoy having your opinion on the nice goodies you often show us first hand. However, in all frankness, I find this particular reference to other brands unfriendly and unfair, specially as you are just transmitting others opinion.

??

I've heard CH C1+A1 with Vivid G-series and Zellaton Reference - both sounding very good, actually the best sound I've heard from a G-series speaker.
Yes Gideon is not afraid to talk straight out about the audio industry and other equipment's sound - he also sell Burmester.
Zellaton is very good sounding, but saying that others speakers are just garbage is too much.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
From my friend.

"Burmester 911 III monos is "old good sound" which works well with most of the garbage speakers the on market today

Getting too harsh here....losing respect for opinions, Wizard.....once again, always try to remember just how subjective audio is...PLEASE

Cheers,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing