CH Precision L1 / Gryphon Poweramp

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Hello!

Here's a strange, curious question thread of mine: Have any of you ever tried or at least consciously listened to the combination of a CH preamp with a Gryphon Poweramp?

Background: Some time ago, someone who sold me a device, told me about it. Our conversation was about the combination of preamps and poweramps. If I understood him correctly, he first looked for a suitable poweramp for his speakers and came in this way to a Gryphon Mephisto (whether mono or stereo I do not know). He had compared with some. I only remember that he found Vitus lame in comparison. As for the preamp, he felt the combination of the Mephisto with a CH L1 was much better than with a Gryphon preamp. Also better than with Trinity and some other brand I can't remember now.

So, if anyone has listened to this or even tried it themselves, please give me a little description. Thanks!

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hello,

I have had a Mephisto. Really great amp. I later tried the L1 and now have the L10. Regretfully I never had the L1 on the Mephisto. I believe that would indeed be a magical combination.

Reactions: Verdier

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi!

I’ve compared Pandora vs L1 in my system in combination with Mephisto Stereo and bought L1. Pandora was good, but L1 is more refined, more delicate sounding in my view. Pandora was a bit ‘rough’ in comparison. Also, CH is more appealing to a gadget lover as myself, it has many extra features like DC blocking etc. Pandora is an old design and most likely will be replaced soon.
And finally, that clicking sound when you change volume with Pandora is really annoying:)

Hope this helps.
Aziz

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Hi!

I’ve compared Pandora vs L1 in my system in combination with Mephisto Stereo and bought L1. Pandora was good, but L1 is more refined, more delicate sounding in my view. Pandora was a bit ‘rough’ in comparison. Also, CH is more appealing to a gadget lover as myself, it has many extra features like DC blocking etc. Pandora is an old design and most likely will be replaced soon.
And finally, that clicking sound when you change volume with Pandora is really annoying:)

Hope this helps.
Aziz
I actually like the clicking sound. Feel satisfying :D

• Haha
Reactions: abeidrov

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Hi!

Hope this helps.
Aziz
Thanks!

How would you describe the sound of the combination as a whole - which attributes would you rather assign to the combination and which not?

- extremely high resolution
- very realistic timbres
- strong coarse dynamics
- emotional
- full-bodied
- extreme fine dynamics
- extremely neutral
- slender

Thank you!

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thanks!

How would you describe the sound of the combination as a whole - which attributes would you rather assign to the combination and which not?

- extremely high resolution
- very realistic timbres
- strong coarse dynamics
- emotional
- full-bodied
- extreme fine dynamics
- extremely neutral
- slender

Thank you!
It’s all very subjective and we all put different meanings in various audiophile terms, but I will try anyway.
My take would be:
- extremely high resolution - definitely high resolution, not idea what extremely high res means
- very realistic timbres - maybe maybe not
- strong coarse dynamics - yes yes
- emotional - no idea
- full-bodied - yes
- extreme fine dynamics - not sure
- extremely neutral - no, I don’t think any neutral combination exists
- slender - no, but quite attractive:)

Mar 30, 2023
Украина
????????????!

??? ????????, ?????????? ??? ??????: ???-?????? ?? ??? ?????-???? ???????? ???, ?? ??????? ????, ??????????? ?????? ????????? CH-??????? ? Gryphon Poweramp?

???????????: ????????? ????? ????? ???-??, ??? ?????? ??? ??????????, ????????? ??? ?? ????. ??? ???????? ??? ? ????????? ??????? ? ??????? ?????. ???? ? ????????? ????? ???, ?? ??????? ????? ?????????? ??????? ??? ????? ????????? ? ?????? ????? ??????? ? ?????? ??????? (???? ?? ???? ??? ??????, ? ?? ????). ?? ??????? ? ??????????. ? ????? ??????, ??? ?? ????? ???? ??????? ? ?????????. ??? ???????? ?????????, ?? ??????????, ??? ????????? ??????? ? CH L1 ???? ??????? ?????, ??? ? ?????????? Gryphon. ????? ?????, ??? ? Trinity ? ?????????? ??????? ????????, ??????? ? ?? ???? ????????? ??????.

??? ???, ???? ???-?? ???????? ??? ??? ???? ??? ??????????, ??????????, ????? ??? ????????? ????????. ???????! ???????!
I use both Gryphon Mephisto and CH L1, but I can't fully characterize the sound because I haven't finished selecting cables.

???????????_viber_2023-08-30_23-36-41-775.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing