CH Precision P10 phonostage

Peterhongkong

Oct 14, 2023
Hong Kong
Hi Daryl, well my observations, impressions and experience after 15 weeks of almost daily listening with the P10 are - in one short sentence - that any kind of music sounds just more beautiful. It is such a pleasure to listen to any kind of my vinyl now.

After 3 months of constantantly using it, the P10 finally really "opened" up - fabulous and so so nice. 3 dimensional sound stage, depth, width, micro details, bass... and everything much more effortless, smooth with a warm sound enabling me to listen sometimes for hours without getting tired.
After lots of testings, forwards-and-backwards I finally set the gain at 24 db. If I further reduce it (and increase the volume output accordingly) the sound becomes more muddy the lower I adjust the gain. Interesting as the “best ratio” should be between 12db to 18db?
But it really depends on the system and gain of the preamp. Lower the gain means lower noise floor but might not be the best sounding gain level for my system with L10 preamp and the Koetsu with the quite low impedance.
Hope you like your P10 as much as i do and enjoy wonderful music experiences. Cheers

TLi

May 27, 2016
Hi Daryl, well my observations, impressions and experience after 15 weeks of almost daily listening with the P10 are - in one short sentence - that any kind of music sounds just more beautiful. It is such a pleasure to listen to any kind of my vinyl now.

After 3 months of constantantly using it, the P10 finally really "opened" up - fabulous and so so nice. 3 dimensional sound stage, depth, width, micro details, bass... and everything much more effortless, smooth with a warm sound enabling me to listen sometimes for hours without getting tired.
After lots of testings, forwards-and-backwards I finally set the gain at 24 db. If I further reduce it (and increase the volume output accordingly) the sound becomes more muddy the lower I adjust the gain. Interesting as the “best ratio” should be between 12db to 18db?
But it really depends on the system and gain of the preamp. Lower the gain means lower noise floor but might not be the best sounding gain level for my system with L10 preamp and the Koetsu with the quite low impedance.
Hope you like your P10 as much as i do and enjoy wonderful music experiences. Cheers
Peter and I roughly have our P10 in Hong Kong at the same time. It sounded very well brand new and is getting better and better by the week.

I use Koetsu most of the time as well but my best gain is between 12dB and 15 dB. For 18dB or above, the image is enlarged and starts to sound a little rough. That is for me and my system.

P10 is very sensitive to vibration, good isolation is needed to get the best juice from it. I use active isolator for both the main and power supply unit. The result is very good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What my friends up North said. I'm not missing anything and I feel I've got nothing more to look for quite honestly. This is something I can live with for a very, very long time. The killer is that because of the modular architecture, upgrades will likely be made available in the future.

Peterhongkong

Oct 14, 2023
Hong Kong
Today I received finally the matching “partner” for my P10! After listening since years to the wonderful performance of the great Mstislaw Rostropovich playing Schubert’s “Appeggione Sonata” on Japanese 1st pressing CD, I was looking in vain for the LP. It is the favorite album in my classic collection. But this week my wife found the LP, also Japanese pressing, in a 2nd hand shop in Beijing and bought it for me. It’s in excellent condition and sounds just beautiful. Such a fantastic performance and super rare album! With the P10 and super silent background it just “blows” me away, the sound is fantastic, so mellow and beautiful.

Attachments

• PHOTO-2024-02-03-18-27-40.jpg
    PHOTO-2024-02-03-18-27-40.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 13
  • PHOTO-2024-02-03-18-27-41.jpg
    PHOTO-2024-02-03-18-27-41.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 11

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing