ChatGPT on Audiophile

Something like ChatGPT is "biased" by the sum total of sources that it has managed to absorb.

In that way this tool is more like us humans than we may be comfortable accepting.

From my point of view, ChatGPT's answers on audio are no worse than, and perhaps better than many, answers found on the lesser audio forums.

An AI may be the worst form of research in you might have 0 idea how it derived an answer. How and where it weighted it response.
So I asked it to be specific about its references. I cut and pasted the conversation and bolded the citations:

Q: Can you give me citations on why you chose the amplifiers you did?

A: As an AI language model, I don't have the ability to choose amplifiers or have personal preferences, but I can provide you with some general information and sources that may be helpful in making your decision.
  1. Pass Labs XA200.8: The Pass Labs XA200.8 is a solid-state amplifier that delivers high current and excellent control, making it an excellent match for the demanding driver configuration of the Wilson Chronosonic XVX. It has received positive reviews from multiple publications, including Stereophile, Hi-Fi News, and SoundStage! Ultra.
  2. Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0: The Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 is a solid-state amplifier that offers exceptional transparency and detail, making it an excellent choice for the Wilson Chronosonic XVX's detailed and nuanced performance. It has received positive reviews from multiple publications, including The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Hi-Fi News.
  3. Bryston 28B³: The Bryston 28B³ is a solid-state amplifier that delivers high power and excellent control, making it an excellent match for the Wilson Chronosonic XVX. It has received positive reviews from multiple publications, including The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Hi-Fi News.
  4. Mark Levinson No. 536 Monaural Power Amplifier: The Mark Levinson No. 536 Monaural Power Amplifier is a solid-state amplifier that delivers high power and excellent control, making it an excellent choice for the Wilson Chronosonic XVX's demanding driver configuration. It has received positive reviews from multiple publications, including The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Hi-Fi News.
  5. Naim NAP 500 DR: The Naim NAP 500 DR is a solid-state amplifier that offers exceptional clarity and detail, making it an excellent choice for the Wilson Chronosonic XVX's detailed and nuanced performance. It has received positive reviews from multiple publications, including What Hi-Fi? and Hi-Fi News.
  6. Audio Research Reference 160M: The Audio Research Reference 160M is a tube amplifier that delivers exceptional warmth and natural sound, making it an excellent match for the Wilson Chronosonic XVX's detailed and nuanced performance. It has received positive reviews from multiple publications, including The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Hi-Fi News.
  7. VTL S-400 Series II: The VTL S-400 Series II is a tube amplifier that offers exceptional transparency and detail, making it an excellent choice for the Wilson Chronosonic XVX's detailed and nuanced performance. It has received positive reviews from multiple publications, including The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Hi-Fi News.
  8. McIntosh MC2301: The McIntosh MC2301 is a tube amplifier that delivers high power and excellent control, making it an excellent match for the Wilson Chronosonic XVX's demanding driver configuration. It has received positive reviews from multiple publications, including The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Hi-Fi News.
  9. Jadis JA800: The Jadis JA800 is a tube amplifier that offers exceptional warmth and natural sound, making it an excellent choice for the Wilson Chronosonic XVX's detailed and nuanced performance. It has received positive reviews from multiple publications, including The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Hi-Fi News.
  10. PrimaLuna EVO 400: The PrimaLuna EVO 400 is a tube amplifier that delivers exceptional clarity and detail, making it an excellent choice for the Wilson Chronosonic XVX's detailed and nuanced performance. It has received positive reviews from multiple publications, including What Hi-Fi? and Hi-Fi News.
Please note that the above information is general and not specific to individual [for some reason ChatGPT did not finish this sentence.]

Q: Can you give me the volume and issues of those magazines you just referenced?

A: Certainly! Here are the volume and issue numbers of the magazines I referenced:
  • Stereophile: This is a monthly magazine. The reviews of the Pass Labs XA200.8, Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0, Bryston 28B³, Mark Levinson No. 536, Audio Research Reference 160M, VTL S-400 Series II, McIntosh MC2301, and Jadis JA800 can be found in various issues from 2017 to 2021.
  • The Absolute Sound: This is a bi-monthly magazine. The reviews of the Mark Levinson No. 536, Audio Research Reference 160M, VTL S-400 Series II, McIntosh MC2301, and Jadis JA800 can be found in various issues from 2018 to 2020.
  • Hi-Fi News: This is a monthly magazine. The reviews of the Pass Labs XA200.8, Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0, Bryston 28B³, Mark Levinson No. 536, Naim NAP 500 DR, Audio Research Reference 160M, VTL S-400 Series II, McIntosh MC2301, Jadis JA800, and PrimaLuna EVO 400 can be found in various issues from 2016 to 2021.
  • SoundStage! Ultra: This is an online magazine. The review of the Pass Labs XA200.8 can be found in the August 2018 issue.
Make of it what you will.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
That came out of... left field.

Yes it was a fly ball. And it is my opinion based on what I’ve read from direct quotes from the machine. But sources of information have always been biased. Nothing new here. What’s new here is the centralization and one source being used as the reference. Remember the “Paper of record“? The concern for me is the manipulation of the information and lack of alternatives.

Something like ChatGPT is "biased" by the sum total of sources that it has managed to absorb.
perhaps "sum total of sources it has been fed" is a more accurate description. This is very important to remember, as is the fact that the programmers don't seem to know how all this information gets integrated until they see examples, then make "corrections."

If the ChatBot team hadn't publicly released the bot, the iterations to improve the AI would have been done without concerning the public (for now). They didn't wait (unlike Google and others), therefore the calls for transparency have been expedited.

Tools like Facebook and YouTube already assist in making very weird belief systems seem more mainstream. If AI accelerates or amplifies those abilities, the result will challenge the brightest minds to come up with a solution. And just as we have seen here, the idea of politics will be raised, which will make solutions more complicated and slower.

So I asked it to be specific about its references. I cut and pasted the conversation and bolded the citations:

Make of it what you will.

That is very interesting. I wonder why WBF was not cited as a reference. Forums provide more opinion than one or two reviews from the main stream audio press. Perhaps it is putting a weight on the reference. There was another thread advocating for industry disclosure and real names for members plus credentials so that opinions can be weighted. The question always is by whose criteria is value determined.

As long as there are alternatives, then Chat is but one opinion. If it becomes the defacto source for “the information of record”, look out. Audiophiles with knowledge and experience have more value to me.

Reactions: tima

In that way this tool is more like us humans than we may be comfortable accepting.

From my point of view, ChatGPT's answers on audio are no worse than, and perhaps better than many, answers found on the lesser audio forums.

ElasticSearch is for lesser audio forums.
Persistence bringing about ChatWBF today, assures our survival tomorrow.
Alm giving is critical to forging this new path.

Balance among numerous inborn factors will be an evocative determination taking place on sites like this very one. Swinging towards events of inclusive left or right, in or out, weight the scale beyond any geographic or civilized pursuit of the high end.

Layering of simulations inside a hobby focused devoutly upon layering of simulations. Ripe topic this.

[Edit: Secure chat within forum environs had a narrow window a decade or so previous where it deferred to local - minimally captured - flavors of the day.]

Last edited:
It's clear to me that it is not "independent" now in terms of neutrality or purity of world views. Someone is programming it and, inevitably, the AI will be infused with the personal views and biases of that programmer.

I don't think it is inevitable that any piece of software is 'infused' with the personality of the programmer. An operating program is not like having a conversation with its programmer.

Assuming it is not buggy, that a piece of software operates as it does is intentional. If a bot shows bias in its responses it is because it was programmed to do so, not because of the beliefs of its programmer.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Heh - perhaps they it can recommend a buyer for yours!
Haaa. If you make a AI, do you get to gender name it like car and boat owners do?

My biggest fear is that Microsoft, as a billion dollar investor in ChatGPT, will bring this back to haunt us:

1680627061227.png

The AI version of Clippy!!!!!

Ai (Weiwei) on AI

“What you get is all the mediocre ideas mixed into something like a fusion, where there is no character and you avoid all mistakes. That is really dangerous to humanity, because we are all equal but we are all created differently. The difference is the beauty. Art, literature, poetry design – they are rooted in human mistakes, misjudgments, or character differences if you prefer. They should be dangerous and sexy and unpredictable. That’s totally against the AI world.”

Food for thought.........

AI could go 'Terminator,' gain upper hand over humans in Darwinian rules of evolution, report warns

Darwinian evolution only works on an entire population of species in the context of reproduction.

How would that fit into the AI narrative?

In combination with CBDC the government can do a lot of things (as they say if you control the money supply you control everything .)
They could let AI loose on the population .... like sorry sir you already tanked 1O liters of fuel this week you re a big polluter thats it no more .
Or if you go to mc donalds , sorry mister your 10 kg overweight no more burgers this week .
Some say that would create a alternative / black market currency , a separate money system

Or you go the store and they wont sell you a Gryphon Apex because AI says it runs in class A and its environment unfriendly :)
My biggest fear is that Microsoft, as a billion dollar investor in ChatGPT, will bring this back to haunt us:

View attachment 107195

The AI version of Clippy!!!!!

Last edited:
In combination with CBDC the government can do a lot of things (as they say if you control the money supply you control everything .)
They could let AI loose on the population .... like sorry sir you already tanked 1O liters of fuel this week you re a big polluter thats it no more .
Or if you go to mc donalds , sorry mister your 10 kg overweight no more burgers this week .
Some say that would create a alternative / black market currency , a separate money system

Or you go the store and they wont sell you a Gryphon Apex because AI says it runs in class A and its environment unfriendly :)
or maybe the future of AI will be more prosaic:

Ian Sansavera, a software architect at a New York start-up called Runway AI, typed a short description of what he wanted to see in a video. “A tranquil river in the forest,” he wrote.

Less than two minutes later, an experimental internet service generated a short video of a tranquil river in a forest. The river’s running water glistened in the sun as it cut between trees and ferns, turned a corner and splashed gently over rocks.

Runway, which plans to open its service to a small group of testers this week, is one of several companies building artificial intelligence technology that will soon let people generate videos simply by typing several words into a box on a computer screen.

That works best if the scene has some action — but not too much action — something like “a rainy day in the big city” or “a dog with a cellphone in the park.” Hit enter, and the system generates a video in a minute or two.

The technology can reproduce common images, like a cat sleeping on a rug. Or it can combine disparate concepts to generate videos that are strangely amusing, like a cow at a birthday party.

P.S. Clippy would always notice your weight before asking if you wanted recommendations for "healthier" foods than the choices it already knows you make. Clippy is more passive aggressive.

• Haha
You don’t need a machine to tell you that. Just ask Tang, Steve, and ddk. Tima and I could tell you too. I know of seven speakers but then you might be haunted by natural sound.

Thanks, I have asked them. No one has replied with acceptable choices.

If you tell me you seven list I will be happy to consider and comment on it. Please remember my preferred recordings - the list is available in my profile in WBF.

Question: What loudspeakers do you recommend to be matched with Lamm ML3 amplifiers?

Answer:

Lamm ML3 amplifiers are known for their high power and ability to drive a wide range of loudspeakers, so you have many options when it comes to selecting loudspeakers to match with these amps.

When selecting loudspeakers to match with Lamm ML3 amplifiers, it's important to consider factors such as impedance, sensitivity, and overall sound quality. Some loudspeakers that are known to work well with Lamm ML3 amplifiers include:

1. Wilson Audio Sasha DAW: These loudspeakers are known for their exceptional sound quality, with a balanced and neutral sound that is well-suited to the Lamm ML3 amps.
  2. Magico S5 Mk II: These loudspeakers are known for their high sensitivity and low distortion, making them a good match for the high power output of the Lamm ML3 amps.
  3. Focal Scala Utopia EVO: These loudspeakers are known for their detailed and dynamic sound, and their relatively high sensitivity makes them a good match for the Lamm ML3 amps.
  4. Sonus Faber Aida: These loudspeakers are known for their warm and musical sound, and their relatively high sensitivity makes them a good match for the Lamm ML3 amps.
Of course, there are many other loudspeakers that can work well with Lamm ML3 amplifiers, so it's important to audition different speakers and find the one that best suits your personal taste and listening preferences.

Question: Are you sure you understand these amplifiers? Lamm ML3 amplifiers are 32 watt single ended triode tube amplifiers.

Answer:

You are correct, I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. Lamm ML3 amplifiers are indeed single-ended triode tube amplifiers, with an output power of 32 watts per channel.

When it comes to selecting loudspeakers to match with Lamm ML3 amplifiers, it's important to choose speakers that have a high sensitivity and an impedance that is compatible with the amplifier. Some speakers that are known to work well with single-ended triode tube amplifiers like the Lamm ML3 include:

1. Lowther DX4: These speakers have a high sensitivity and are known for their fast, dynamic sound.
  2. Omega Super Alnico Monitors: These speakers have a high sensitivity and a detailed, natural sound that can be a good match for single-ended triode amplifiers.
  3. Voxativ Ampeggio: These speakers have a full-range driver and a high sensitivity, and are known for their dynamic and musical sound.
  4. Zu Audio Druid V: These speakers have a high sensitivity and are known for their dynamic and engaging sound.
Of course, as with any amplifier and loudspeaker pairing, it's important to audition different speakers and find the ones that best suit your personal taste and listening preferences.

Ridiculous answers, but written a way that suggests good knowledge of the subject , The consequence is that sometime in the future someone inexperienced can come to this forum and reading careless the posts will consider it a great advice.

I thank you for your care Ron, but IMO you are playing with fire, as we say here! :eek:

Thanks, I have asked them. No one has replied with acceptable choices.

If you tell me you seven list I will be happy to consider and comment on it. Please remember my preferred recordings - the list is available in my profile in WBF.

I would be happy to tell you over on a different thread about the ML3 and speaker choices. I’m not a machine and the topic of this thread is machine advice.

Reactions: microstrip and tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing