Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
use google translate.

Nevermind google translate screws it up. Need to either find someone Chinese, take a crash course in Chinese, try to press buttons and see if you can get to the end, or pay $200 more.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
For some reason random button pushing and credit cards doesn't sound like a good outcome.

Nevermind google translate screws it up. Need to either find someone Chinese, take a crash course in Chinese, try to press buttons and see if you can get to the end, or pay $200 more.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
For some reason random button pushing and credit cards doesn't sound like a good outcome.

Might be better to find a Chinese friend.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I could rent a Chinese friend for $100 and still save a $100.

Great plan. If you do buy it, maybe the Sonic imagery opamps are too big. I think the opamps are spaced too close together. I would try the Sparko SS3601's. You can put them in either the LME 49710 sockets or the OPA 1632's. Or both if you want. They have a much smaller footprint, and are 90% as good. They are very easy to swap, just like changing a tube.

http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I am not sure how much better the Jenny will be over the Custard since I just did an extensive comparison of 3 other DACs and could throw a blanket over all in the test.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I am not sure how much better the Jenny will be over the Custard since I just did an extensive comparison of 3 other DACs and could throw a blanket over all in the test.

You might be surprised if you loaded up all 4 sockets with the Sparko discrete opamps.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I am wearing the gold off my XLR jacks and plugs. I gotta stop and smell the roses for a little while. :D

Sounds like you need some Furutech's with thick gold plating:

FP-602F(G).jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
That's what I am using Mike.

Hey thanks for the recommendation on Neotech cable. The NEI-2002 is amazing!

No problem. Yeah great cable. You should try the 3004 for your speaker's. I'm very curious to try their 3004-II, with 2 of the 8 conductors plated with their UPOCC silver. It might be just the right blend to get a bit more sparkle, yet still have all the silky smoothness of the pure UPOCC copper.

These guys even cryo treat:

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=1404

NES-3004s.jpg

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I bought that too, just can't stay home long enough to terminate it. Maybe I am just lazy.

Mike find me someone who sells the Neotech NEI-1001 in bulk. This stuff has got to be unbelievable.

No problem. Yeah great cable. You should try the 3004 for your speaker's. I'm very curious to try their 3004-II, with 2 of the 8 conductors plated with their UPOCC silver. It might be just the right blend to get a bit more sparkle, yet still have all the silky smoothness of the pure UPOCC copper.

mresseguie

Feb 26, 2016
My technical Chinese isn't the best, but I'm pretty certain the Jemmy Audio DAD1 DAC uses a single ES9018 chip. I'm willing to bet this is on the same or similar level as the Gustard x12 DAC. I need to read a bit more to be 100%.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I bought that too, just can't stay home long enough to terminate it. Maybe I am just lazy.

Mike find me someone who sells the Neotech NEI-1001 in bulk. This stuff has got to be unbelievable.

I don't think they sell it in bulk. You need to buy the hookup wire from either Dave C or Parts Connexion.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
NEI-1002 is a solid UP-OCC Silver conductor design with individual polyethylene as a dielectric. The tubular configuration with Microporous *Teflon, plus 100% braided shielding (AL-Mylar & Silver Plated OFC), has made this NEI-1002 a must test item.

I don't think they sell it in bulk. You need to buy the hookup wire from either Dave C or Parts Connexion.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
NEI-1002 is a solid UP-OCC Silver conductor design with individual polyethylene as a dielectric. The tubular configuration with Microporous *Teflon, plus 100% braided shielding (AL-Mylar & Silver Plated OFC), has made this NEI-1002 a must test item.

https://www.usahifi.com/products/neotech-nei-1002-10m

I can't believe the difference the Neotech NEP-3002 power cable/plugs made with my amps as well

http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_ac_neotech.html

http://www.partsconnexion.com/NEOTECH-78818.html

http://www.partsconnexion.com/NEOTECH-78817.html

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
The opa1632 are surface mount parts and differential amps....completely different pin outs from regular op amps. You cannot swap them for anything.....you can eliminate them....that is another story.

The Jemmy crack corn DAC is probably good but no way is going to compete with Creamy Custard stock and has way less potential to mod. Only one DAC and the power transformers are tiny widdle bitty thangs (5 Watt each). The tranformers in the Custard are at least 50 watters......look even bigger than that. The bigger the tranny the better the sound. And power connector cables with connectors will mess up the sound as well.

I will be doing a second level of baby mods to the Custard tomorrow (twisting AC wires, WA quantum dots, shorting out unused digital inputs and damping a couple of parts). Early next week I will remove the entire output stage and get serious. I will post pics of the mods as I go. The baby mods anyone can do themselves. So far, the first two mods (eliminate fuse and bolts on trannies) have taken the DAC to another whole level of reality......Guys, you must do these mods! Costs you next to nothing!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
The opa1632 are surface mount parts and differential amps....completely different pin outs from regular op amps. You cannot swap them for anything.....you can eliminate them....that is another story.

The Jemmy crack corn DAC is probably good but no way is going to compete with Creamy Custard stock and has way less potential to mod. Only one DAC and the power transformers are tiny widdle bitty thangs (5 Watt each). The tranformers in the Custard are at least 50 watters......look even bigger than that. The bigger the tranny the better the sound. And power connector cables with connectors will mess up the sound as well.

I will be doing a second level of baby mods to the Custard tomorrow (twisting AC wires, WA quantum dots, shorting out unused digital inputs and damping a couple of parts). Early next week I will remove the entire output stage and get serious. I will post pics of the mods as I go. The baby mods anyone can do themselves. So far, the first two mods (eliminate fuse and bolts on trannies) have taken the DAC to another whole level of reality......Guys, you must do these mods! Costs you next to nothing!

Oh I was thinking 2 of these opamps in the picture were them. Anyways, if you find someone Chinese, they are only $350. Pop 4 Sparko's in those sockets and I'm sure it will kill many well known commercial DAC's costing several times its price. Not only that it's quad DSD capable. Used in conjunction with HQplayer upsampling everything to Quad DSD, it sounds much better through the Sabre chip no matter which DAC it's in.

Audiohippo has the older non modded version and says it's great. This guy knows good sound. Have you seen his other systems?

image.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing