Choose Python ZiTron or Alpha HC power cable

dhart86

Oct 18, 2019
I am getting more acquainted with all things Shunyata Reseach and I must say that I am a big fan of their products. While I am aware that choices made between audio products are mostly subjective in nature, I would like to hear which cable you would prefer and why. Also, if someone could point out the differences between the Python ZiTron and Alpha HC cables, I'd really appreciate that!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I started with a Venom cable years ago, and just upgraded to the TOL over the years. Just buy the best you can afford, and don’t look back.

Reactions: dan31 and ack

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
You would be wise to email Grant at Shunyata as he will give you (IMO) some valuable guidance, provided you outline your requirements and budget and audio kit.

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
Sure.
The Python ZiTron has a fuller sound from bottom to top. And non-euphonic (like the previous generation (non Zi-Tron ) Python.

The Alpha HC (ZiTron) is to my ears, leaner in the upper bass and lower midrange unless you have components that have compensated for this. (Current Shunyata cords: Cobra ZiTron, Alpha (not HC), Python ZiTron, Sigma NR ZiTron.)

The standard wisdom is to go for the Alpha HC, but after having it for 3 years, I finally couldn't shake the sound of "leanness", (think of it as "analytical" and with lesser "musicality," meaning "the way actual live instruments sound" in my living room, basement OR at Carnegie Hall/The Metropolitan Opera/Avery Fisher (now David B. Geffen Hall), all in New York; Louise Davies (San Francisco) - in comparison to the Python ZiTron, which I love. Can't go wrong there.

I'm sure the Alpha HC noise floor is lower, but it didn't impress me that much. It sounds a bit sterile to my ears Keep in mind, I've owned Shunyata since 2003, and have had every single iteration and listened to nearly everything they have made. Bought Sigmas (both versions: the one preceding the NR (the NR is considerably better in my opinion that the preceding Sigma cable, whose designation I do not recall). Listened to the Alpha NR, bought the Delta (sold it: don't go to a non-ZiTron once you've owned ZiTron. You'll notice it immediately and if you're anything like me, will be disappointed. It's a good cord, but once you hit ZiTron, you'll have to stay 'ZiTron-ed" for life. A half-deaf person (oh, wait, that's me!) can hear it, so unless your hearing's deteriorated, you, too, will hear it.
My favorite is the Sigma NR, which is breathtaking - and THAT (!) on a modest system. Wasn't as keen on the Alpha NR, much to my dismay. Shunyata disagrees with my summation of the Alpha (NR version), but others have heard this too (somewhere in a thread on here from 3 years ago), but I have to report what I heard in my system.

Last edited:

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
I started with a Venom cable years ago, and just upgraded to the TOL over the years. Just buy the best you can afford, and don’t look back.
The "best" is not always the more expensive product, especially with power cords. There is lots of competition out there and of course design changes within a company. Throwing money at it is not the answer.

Reactions: Vienna

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
Sure.
The Python ZiTron has a fuller sound from bottom to top. And non-euphonic (like the previous generation (non Zi-Tron ) Python.

The Alpha HC (ZiTron) is to my ears, leaner in the upper bass and lower midrange unless you have components that have compensated for this. (Current Shunyata cords: Cobra ZiTron, Alpha (not HC), Python ZiTron, Sigma NR ZiTron.)

The standard wisdom is to go for the Alpha HC, but after having it for 3 years, I finally couldn't shake the sound of "leanness", (think of it as "analytical" and with lesser "musicality," meaning "the way actual live instruments sound" in my living room, basement OR at Carnegie Hall/The Metropolitan Opera/Avery Fisher (now David B. Geffen Hall), all in New York; Louise Davies (San Francisco) - in comparison to the Python ZiTron, which I love. Can't go wrong there.

I'm sure the Alpha HC noise floor is lower, but it didn't impress me that much. It sounds a bit sterile to my ears Keep in mind, I've owned Shunyata since 2003, and have had every single iteration and listened to nearly everything they have made. Bought Sigmas (both versions: the one preceding the NR (the NR is considerably better in my opinion that the preceding Sigma cable, whose designation I do not recall). Listened to the Alpha NR, bought the Delta (sold it: don't go to a non-ZiTron once you've owned ZiTron. You'll notice it immediately and if you're anything like me, will be disappointed. It's a good cord, but once you hit ZiTron, you'll have to stay 'ZiTron-ed" for life. A half-deaf person (oh, wait, that's me!) can hear it, so unless your hearing's deteriorated, you, too, will hear it.
My favorite is the Sigma NR, which is breathtaking - and THAT (!) on a modest system. Wasn't as keen on the Alpha NR, much to my dismay. Shunyata disagrees with my summation of the Alpha (NR version), but others have heard this too (somewhere in a thread on here from 3 years ago), but I have to report what I heard in my system.
I have to agree with you 90 percent. I also have both of these cords. One of my references for "richness" is the Triode Wire Labs 7 power cord. My final two cords for a SET amplifier was the TWL-7 and the Python Zitron. I still have both here and plan to get a Sigma NR in the next month and try it on each component.

crion

Oct 29, 2014
I would suggest you get a Sigma NR V2 to in this eval. I too have owned many Shunytas though not all.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Bought Sigmas (both versions: the one preceding the NR (the NR is considerably better in my opinion that the preceding Sigma cable, whose designation I do not recall). Listened to the Alpha NR, bought the Delta (sold it: don't go to a non-ZiTron once you've owned ZiTron. You'll notice it immediately and if you're anything like me, will be disappointed. It's a good cord, but once you hit ZiTron, you'll have to stay 'ZiTron-ed" for life.

I believe the power cord preceding the Sigma NR was named Sigma (without the NR.)

Generally across the board for the signal cables the last five generations:

-Anaconda Helix.....|-Python Helix......|-Taipan Helix <--- in Alpha or VX versions, the VX encapsulating FeSi-1000 compound.

-King Cobra CX...... |-Anaconda CX.....|-Python CX ....

-Zitron Anaconda... |-Zitron Python....|-Zitron Cobra

-Sigma series.........|-Alpha Series.......|-Delta Series ...

-Sigma V2 series...|-Alpha V2 Series..|-Delta Series V2...

There are varietals but I think that covers things generally. I *think* this is right, but please correct if not.

Power cords added 'NR (Noise Reduction) after the initial Sigma, and then V2 NR. Top-of-the line PC now goes to Omega (no V2 there). Sigma through Delta (signal) and Omega through Delta (power) are in the Reference Line. Since the Greek alphabet runs Alpha through Omega, it will not be surprising if we see an Omega series for signal cables. (speculation on my part)

The switch to the Greek alphabet names ended the long running snake names for specific models although the present day 2nd tier (after Reference) retains a hint of that past as the Venom Line. Snake names held for a long time and it is only recently that 'https;//www.powersnakes.com' no longer resolves to the Shunyata home page. (Either that or a domain server thing.)

One is probably better off picking a specific generation of power cord to say "once you've gone xxxxxx don't go to a non-xxxxxx product" than saying Zitron in place of xxxxxx. The Zitron technology itself, at least to my understanding, is really applicable to the signal cables moreso than power cables.

Zitron's intent is to mitigate dielectric absorbtion and relaxation which can impact the audio signal and induce signal smearing. (There are different ways to say that.) I don't think that is an issue for audio power cords. Shunyata's present descriptions of their reference line of power cables does not mention Zitron and if it was implemented in the PC, pretty sure Shunyata would mention it.

Wrt signal cables, the introduction of Zitron technology was genuinely significant, ingenious actually. Among Shunyata's offerings across the years I think it is fair to say that going back to a pre-Zitron signal cable is indeed a step backwards in sound quality.

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I believe the power cord preceding the Sigma NR was named Sigma (without the NR.)

Generally across the board for the signal cables the last five generations:

-Anaconda Helix.....|-Python Helix......|-Taipan Helix <--- in Alpha or VX versions, the VX encapsulating FeSi-1000 compound.

-King Cobra CX...... |-Anaconda CX.....|-Python CX ....

-Zitron Anaconda... |-Zitron Python....|-Zitron Cobra

-Sigma series.........|-Alpha Series.......|-Delta Series ...

-Sigma V2 series...|-Alpha V2 Series..|-Delta Series V2...

There are varietals but I think that covers things generally. I *think* this is right, but please correct if not.

Power cords added 'NR (Noise Reduction) after the initial Sigma, and then V2 NR. Top-of-the line PC now goes to Omega (no V2 there). Sigma through Delta (signal) and Omega through Delta (power) are in the Reference Line. Since the Greek alphabet runs Alpha through Omega, it will not be surprising if we see an Omega series for signal cables. (speculation on my part)

The switch to the Greek alphabet names ended the long running snake names for specific models although the present day 2nd tier (after Reference) retains a hint of that past as the Venom Line. Snake names held for a long time and it is only recently that 'https;//www.powersnakes.com' no longer resolves to the Shunyata home page. (Either that or a domain server thing.)

One is probably better off picking a specific generation of power cord to say "once you've gone xxxxxx don't go to a non-xxxxxx product" than saying Zitron in place of xxxxxx. The Zitron technology itself, at least to my understanding, is really applicable to the signal cables moreso than power cables.

Zitron's intent is to mitigate dielectric absorbtion and relaxation which can impact the audio signal and induce signal smearing. (There are different ways to say that.) I don't think that is an issue for audio power cords. Shunyata's present descriptions of their reference line of power cables does not mention Zitron and if it was implemented in the PC, pretty sure Shunyata would mention it.

Wrt signal cables, the introduction of Zitron technology was genuinely significant, ingenious actually. Among Shunyata's offerings across the years I think it is fair to say that going back to a pre-Zitron signal cable is indeed a step backwards in sound quality.
The preceding power cord was the Sigma Analogue. There was another Sigma at the same time, but if memory serves correctly , it was for digital applications. Regardless, the Sigma NR was quite noticeably superior to the Sigma Analogue. The nicest thing about Sigma cables is that you hear the improvement immediately - even when new. (Break in was always a b****, but even then you heard the improvements in some areas immediately, enough so that you were willing to wait for the full break-in to occur, because it was going to be GLORIOUS!) I loved the Sigma NR V1 from the start. I'm sure the Sigma NR V2 is even better, but that V1 is no slouch whatsoever.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The preceding power cord was the Sigma Analogue. There was another Sigma at the same time, but if memory serves correctly , it was for digital applications. Regardless, the Sigma NR was quite noticeably superior to the Sigma Analogue.

I understand it can be hard to keep up with all of Shunyata's new products and the various names used to describe them. So, pardon the minor disagreement; you are mistaken wrt naming conventions.

To my knowledge there was never a Shunyata power cord named "Sigma Analogue"

Wrt names, note that my post (#8) distinquishes between signal cables and power cords.

Talking about signal cables, I'm thinking that Shunyata does not use the designation 'Sigma Analog', but rather 'Sigma RCA', just as they also use 'Sigma XLR'. Retailer MusicDirect uses 'Analog' instead of RCA. I think there was a time when the cable termination type was not part of the name and perhaps latter adopted to clarify the two types. Note the Sigma Phono cable does not include 'RCA' in its name perhaps because there is no XLR version. (cf. my review)

You can see the contrast between the designations at these links:
Music Direct: Sigma Analog V2
Shunyata Web site: Sigma V2 RCA

Regardless, the Sigma NR was quite noticeably superior to the Sigma Analogue. The nicest thing about Sigma cables is that you hear the improvement immediately - even when new.

The 'NR' qualifier only applies to power cords while 'Analogue' only applies to signal cables though I suggest sticking with Shunyata convention and use 'RCA' instead of 'Analogue'. What the Sigma NR may be superior to was the preceding power cord named 'Sigma' (w/out a qualifier.)

Shunyata now uses their Kinetic Phase Inversion Process (KPIP) on both signal cables and power cords. I believe this was introduced with signal cables only. This process, invented by Gabriel, significantly reduces lengthy break-in time although the cables and wires still need a couple days to settle from travel to their new environment.

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I understand it can be hard to keep up with all of Shunyata's new products and the various names used to describe them. So, pardon the minor disagreement; you are mistaken wrt naming conventions.

To my knowledge there was never a Shunyata power cord named "Sigma Analogue"

Wrt names, note that my post (#8) distinquishes between signal cables and power cords.

Talking about signal cables, I'm thinking that Shunyata does not use the designation 'Sigma Analog', but rather 'Sigma RCA', just as they also use 'Sigma XLR'. Retailer MusicDirect uses 'Analog' instead of RCA. I think there was a time when the cable termination type was not part of the name and perhaps latter adopted to clarify the two types. Note the Sigma Phono cable does not include 'RCA' in its name perhaps because there is no XLR version. (cf. my review)

You can see the contrast between the designations at these links:
Music Direct: Sigma Analog V2
Shunyata Web site: Sigma V2 RCA

The 'NR' qualifier only applies to power cords while 'Analogue' only applies to signal cables though I suggest sticking with Shunyata convention and use 'RCA' instead of 'Analogue'. What the Sigma NR may be superior to was the preceding power cord named 'Sigma' (w/out a qualifier.)

Shunyata now uses their Kinetic Phase Inversion Process (KPIP) on both signal cables and power cords. I believe this was introduced with signal cables only. This process, invented by Gabriel, significantly reduces lengthy break-in time although the cables and wires still need a couple days to settle from travel to their new environment.
As I recall, the earlier power cord was designated "Sigma Analogue," and they had a power cord for digital. I'm pretty sure that was the name for it. Here's a link to Music Direct, which seems to confirm the name. And this was back in 2014 or so. I don't know if this is the same one. I do know what it said on my box, though. I'm only speaking about the power cord, NOT the interconnects.

The next cord I bought - clearly of the "NR" designation, was a different cord.

Regardless, there was a significant difference. The analogue - I have to be honest - didn't impress me, no matter where I put it. The NR, by contrast, made its presence known instantly.

Last edited:

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I have seen used Shunyata Sigma Analog power cables listed for sale.

ozzy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing