choosing speakers to replace Devialet Phantom - need your advice

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Hi

i got the Phantom Silver , i just don't get the hipe around this speakers
not so great.

i like the idea of control the music from my ipad / Macbook without cables and using Tidal account
but the sound not so good , too much bass also

i went to best buy and check Sonos 5 and B&W A7 and Bose , the Phantom much better.

it's for my Master bedroom , size 21X18

Thanks

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Get a devialet 120/200 and any decent set of speakers.. still a simple 1 box solution with WAF galore and streaming etc (make sure the speakers also appeal to the significant Other..)
As to what speakers..well that's your choice....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you are looking for an integrated, simple and nice sounding system, take a look at KEF X300A: http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/digital_music_solutions/x_300a/x_300aw/index.html#.Vfl_ghFVhBc

It has the same sound of highly recommended LS50 but in an integrated package with Wifi streaming, built-in DAC and power amplifiers. It sounded great when I heard it a couple of years ago.

The only down side to it is that it stops at 96 Khz for high-resolution downloaded files.

PLEASE NOTE: my company Madrona Digital does some business in KEF so please keep this in mind as you read my comments on this brand :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
For any room, where WAF is high priority, this is a very exciting "game changer" solution

http://kiiaudio.com/en/

I have read a lot of glowing reports, and will be hearing them in 2 weeks time at the Bonn Audio Show in Germany
Really? They are large typical stereo speaker boxes. Nothing WAF friendly about them. Just because it has some rounded corners it doesn't mean all of a sudden it becomes invisible to your wife or her decorator :).

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Really? They are large typical stereo speaker boxes. Nothing WAF friendly about them. Just because it has some rounded corners it doesn't mean all of a sudden it becomes invisible to your wife or her decorator :).

They are only 8" x 16" x 16" - that's pretty compact and friendly.

it's 2 speakers or one like the Devialet Phantom?
price?
they sell in USA?

They are designed to be used as a stereo pair.

GTT Audio is the US distributor

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Shhhhh... the Kii speakers are magical, haven't you heard? ;)

pelo, you need to go listen to a bunch of speakers and figure out what you prefer. If you want recommendations we need more info.... price, size, are you listening in the sweet spot or all around the room, in bed, etc? photos of the room would help too.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Shhhhh... the Kii speakers are magical, haven't you heard? ;)

pelo, you need to go listen to a bunch of speakers and figure out what you prefer. If you want recommendations we need more info.... price, size, are you listening in the sweet spot or all around the room, in bed, etc? photos of the room would help too.

both , sweet spot (Sofa)
and near my desk or bed

i think the problem is: i have Focal Maestro with Vitus mono's
and almost everything sound boring compare to them.

if there is no chance to get all in one package like the Phantom but with great sound , i think i don't have any choice and i will get stereo speakers.
i thought about used Magico S1 or YG Carmel or Focal Diablo / Sopra No.1
i just don't sure if they provide bass or must add small Sub to it.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
IMO, keep what you have. Focals like more damped rooms though...

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
I agree with your assessment of the Phantom. Not made for the critical listener.
I have the Dev 200 paired with KEF LS50's and a JLf112 woofer in my office room at home. Very musical. I do plan to upgrade the speakers to KEF Reference 1's eventually.
As a secondary system at my vacation home I have the Naim Muso. It's more musical and better balanced than the Phantom but lacks the separation you get with a pair of stand alone speakers. I am very pleased with it for its intended purpose.
popspin

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sorry but I don't think you can win with an "all-in-one" solution. For a bedroom I'd get a pair of Harbreth P3ESR so I could get them within a foot of a wall, out of the way, and they'd still sound very good. The downside is they need a good sized amplifier (contrary to silly comments about not needing at last 100w).

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
I agree the all in one solution is inferior to having a good pair of speakers that meet the WAF. That's why I mentioned that I have a Dev 200 with speakers as well as the Mu-so. If critical listening is part of the plan an all in one won't cut it.
It really depends on space and what makes your wife happy!!

Sorry but I don't think you can win with an "all-in-one" solution. For a bedroom I'd get a pair of Harbreth P3ESR so I could get them within a foot of a wall, out of the way, and they'd still sound very good. The downside is they need a good sized amplifier (contrary to silly comments about not needing at last 100w).

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I just don't want my bedroom dominated by a stereo. And I'll probably be listening to vocalists in it more than say rock.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
If you are looking for an integrated, simple and nice sounding system, take a look at KEF X300A: http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/digital_music_solutions/x_300a/x_300aw/index.html#.Vfl_ghFVhBc

It has the same sound of highly recommended LS50 but in an integrated package with Wifi streaming, built-in DAC and power amplifiers. It sounded great when I heard it a couple of years ago.

The only down side to it is that it stops at 96 Khz for high-resolution downloaded files.

PLEASE NOTE: my company Madrona Digital does some business in KEF so please keep this in mind as you read my comments on this brand :).

They do look a lot like the LS50. But even with amps and DAC built in, they're a lot less money?

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing