Clash of the titans - Seeking experience from you guys

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I truly believe any LampizatOR DAC will bring enjoyment to the mix … all LampizatOR DACs seem to get the emotion variable right … just the Horizon brings it all to life .

he will prefer both over the others or he will prefer neither. The mistake in his shortlist is to think only the top models of each are required to face off against each other. GG3 should be sufficient to see off most if not all. I have no experience with the Ypsilon Dac

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Hello folks

So I´m building a serious 2-channel system for a private client

The soundideal for the client is a "Musicality, midrange magic, a big wide and deep soundstage with some 3 dimensionality. Warmth over cold and a welcoming sound that doesn’t hurt his ears with a bright thin sound"
OK, so enhanced clarity without harshness and extended FR on both ends, especially in the bass (to avoid thin sound).
That sounds like my Ideon Absolute Epsilon (not saying there aren't others)
We are leaning towards a Taiko Extreme server as the source, with FLAC/WAV/DSD64-512 and SACD-files.
I auditioned the Epsilon using the Taiko server as well as Ideon's own.
The sound was spectacular with both server / streamers.

Last edited:

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@Kingrex wrote,

“What I have found is preamps, speakers, amps and sources all have a profound influence. No one is bigger than the other. In some sence, its important to have a balance between them all.”

Agreed. I believe an attempt to declare one audio component more vital or important than another is faulty. Any one subpar component in an audio system will cause undeniable sound quality deterioration.

I don’t know how one can develop a hierarchy of audio component impact effects. They all rely on each other in the signal chain. It is truly a system that they comprise.
Charles

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
@Kingrex wrote,

“What I have found is preamps, speakers, amps and sources all have a profound influence. No one is bigger than the other. In some sence, its important to have a balance between them all.”

Agreed. I believe an attempt to declare one audio component more vital or important than another is faulty. Any one subpar component in an audio system will cause undeniable sound quality deterioration.

I don’t know how one can develop a hierarchy of audio component impact effects. They all rely on each other in the signal chain. It is truly a system that they comprise.
Charles
Hi, I also fully agree with these observations. There are so many variables to consider, including synergies, cables, power conditioners, music sources (Redbook, high resolution, PCM, DSD, etc), and resonance control components.

Last edited:

b345t

May 10, 2020
Not so sure I agree that everything holds equal weight when you are playing with a specific budget to get the most bang for buck in a system. Lets say the main components in a system are: Speakers, Source, Preamplifier, Amplifiers, Cables and power distribution. If you have $50k budget to make a system, it doesn't make so much sense to me to have exactly 1/5th of the budget so 10k worth of cables for example, while you are using a 10k speaker. I do agree though that after a specific reference 'level' of speaker is reached, where it interacts very well in your room and suits the sound you are looking for; it is important to bring the rest of the system to a high level before you change the speaker.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Not so sure I agree that everything holds equal weight when you are playing with a specific budget to get the most bang for buck in a system. Lets say the main components in a system are: Speakers, Source, Preamplifier, Amplifiers, Cables and power distribution. If you have $50k budget to make a system, it doesn't make so much sense to me to have exactly 1/5th of the budget so 10k worth of cables for example, while you are using a 10k speaker. I do agree though that after a specific reference 'level' of speaker is reached, where it interacts very well in your room and suits the sound you are looking for; it is important to bring the rest of the system to a high level before you change the speaker.
Value does not have to be measured with $$$$$. I think my point is, it all matters and a deficiency in any one place impacts the system globally. A glaring deficiency in one place can drag the entire system down.

In the same sense, overkill in any one piece probably won't result in full appreciation of what that component can do. The whole will lift, but not as far as the piece could still go.

Last edited:
Reactions: b345t and adamaley

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Value does not have to be measured with $$$$$. I think my point is, it all matters and a deficiency in any one place impacts the system globally. A glaring deficiency in one place can drag the entire system down.

In the same sense, oerkill in any one piece probably won't result in full appreciation of what that component can do. The whole will lift, but not as far as the piece could still go.
Absolutely my point as well. I wasn’t referring to equally divided expenditures. I am speaking in terms of obtaining a balance of sonic performance/quality throughout the audio system signal chain.

This doesn’t require that each component cost the same.
Charles

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
At some point a speaker head is going to get rattled and say a speaker is the voice and its the most critical component. I know the pot is simmering!!!!

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
At some point a speaker head is going to get rattled and say a speaker is the voice and its the most critical component. I know the pot is simmering!!!!
I see none of you could compare this side by side. I wonder i have Tambaqui, and I really like it. But I just bought Horning Agalme and start to think maybe I like to try Lampi Pacific, do you guys think I can gain or I will be sorry? Tambaqui goung straght to amps with ts analog vol reg is the best sounding by far, no preamp could match this quality of sound Pink faun/Tabaqui/SE-833

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Tambaqui goung straght to amps with ts analog vol reg is the best sounding by far, no preamp could match this quality of sound Pink faun/Tabaqui/SE-833
Hello Kingrex, In my system, my Tambaqui sounds much better through my preamp. I believe the Tambaqui has digital volume control and benefits from full or very near full volume output. I use the 6v output and -2db on output (not volume) control.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
oops...meant HELLO ZAPPADADDY

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Hello Kingrex, In my system, my Tambaqui sounds much better through my preamp. I believe the Tambaqui has digital volume control and benefits from full or very near full volume output. I use the 6v output and -2db on output (not volume) control.
If you meant Makua as a preamp then I would believe it. ut I was talking about going direct to my amps without line mode!!!! I can do that because I have volume regulation on my amps, this way I can tell how the source is playing without middle piece - preamp, then you can also evaluate cables much more precisely this way.

Reactions: fast.freight

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
If you meant Makua as a preamp then I would believe it. ut I was talking about going direct to my amps without line mode!!!! I can do that because I have volume regulation on my amps, this way I can tell how the source is playing without middle piece - preamp, then you can also evaluate cables much more precisely this way.
Interesting in that you can control volume from your amps.
I do have both Makua w onboard Tambaqui and stand alone Tambaqui w my Stern pre and reference system.
I have tried the Makua in place of the tambaqui / Stern combo. It sounds amazing as well, maybe a bit warmer for the Makua, Obviously as you state cables are in play here with the stand alone Tambaqui and Stern, an extra Realization PC and a pair of Realization IC's.
But, I stand by either sounding better than Tambaqui straight into amps without pre, in my systems. Thanks for info!

Reactions: charles1dad

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
THE SPEAKER IS THE VOICE OF THE SYSTEM AND IS THE MOST CRITICAL COMPONENT BECAUSE IT'S INTERACTION WITH THE ROOM!!!

...I couldn't help myself :D

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
THE SPEAKER IS THE VOICE OF THE SYSTEM AND IS THE MOST CRITICAL COMPONENT BECAUSE IT'S INTERACTION WITH THE ROOM!!!

...I couldn't help myself :D
The room is the most critical component as it interacts with the speaker!!! :)
My wife says, my funny guy jokes arn't that funny.

Reactions: harsheel_dbs

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I can do that because I have volume regulation on my amps, this way I can tell how the source is playing without middle piece - preamp, then you can also evaluate cables much more precisely this way.
I have volume regulation on my Audion amp and know people with Decware that have it. I have not had much luck eliminating a preamp and using the amp volume pot. What about you.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I have volume regulation on my Audion amp and know people with Decware that have it. I have not had much luck eliminating a preamp and using the amp volume pot. What about you.
Now it is the bestvsolution for me. With Pacific next week will be smarter

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
From all the above
Lampizator it's the right choice.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
From all the above
Lampizator it's the right choice.
indeed it was. Now I control volume with Pacific which gives me the highest resolution and still being very musical. I wonder what preamp would be better in all areas of Pacific. Thinking of Allnic L10000 perhaps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing