Classification of some top SS amps (brands)

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
Yes! And then re-check setup as you say after inserting the new trial equipment as well. In the case of moving from Gryphon Mephisto to Robert Koda K160, it definitely required many adjustments to the system which over years had been finetuned to accommodate Gryphon amplification (in the system for 10 years).
Lloyd,

Thank you for pointing out the importance of system/speaker set up in order to truly understand what an amp (or any major piece of equipment) is capable of doing in your system.

Unfortunately, it's a not a commonly accepted aspect of evaluating equipment as evidenced by the numerous audiophile comparisons that do not address or give credibility to the need to specifically optimize the system for each new component change.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have to admit CMarin, there are more than a few times when I drop something in, replace and just listen. And if I like it, great, if not, out it goes. I wont pretend I have not done that...though usually on minor tweaks. But this, this was a very strong intuition about Robert Koda...and then an obsessive commitment to prove that intuition right. Robert Koda had to be right about their commitment to purity of sound through purity and simplicity of [all out] design. They just had to be.

While I have made system adjustments over time after dropping a few major components in...never have I taken quite this length of time and effort to really work the system to bed a component in...but then again, preamp and amp are practically the heart of the whole system and the entire system had been 10 years with CJ Preamp and Gryphon amp (upgrading to later and better generations of both because I really really liked them more than anything else I had heard)...and given Robert Koda's equally if not more obsessive commitment to their reference designs, I also thought it only right to do so. Thank goodness it was worth it!

Reactions: cmarin

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Of those on your list, I've spent time with the following in my own system:

CH Precision (L1 + X1, A1, M1 mono) - the L1+X1 is an exceptional pre-amp, probably the best I've heard in my system - transparent with a huge soundstage, but the power amps I found neutral to the point of boredom. When I listen to music, I want it to be an event and make me pay attention but the CH amps didn't do that and so I found them disappointing relative to the hype & cost.

Vitus (SA-25, SM101, SP102) - I love the A-class sound Vitus produces, but the cheaper end of class-A range of amps tend to lack a bit of power and drive, and detail is not their strong-point. I suspect you get more of this the higher up the range you go, but by that stage, you are getting very expensive.

Solution (5-series) - really like the speed and transparency of these amps, and if I'd had a dealer closer to me at the time, I might have explored them more.

Outside of the above 3, I spent quite a bit of time listening to D'Agostino, Burmester, Ayre, Constellation, but if I'm honest, none of them created a strong enough impression that I demo'd them in my system. It led me to conclude that it's quite hard to produce an SS amp that is "different" enough to stand out from the crowd.

This perhaps begs the question of what I ended up with.....

In the first instance, a pair of Berning Quadrature Z's, but as these are valves (albeit with 220W of power) they are outside of this thread, but they beat the above in my view in terms of speed, transparency, timbre, and emotional engagement.

What I currently have does fit this thread, and is a pair of Audionet Heisenbergs, which were the first SS amps I heard which beat the Bernings - fast, beautiful timbre, but perhaps most importantly, they make every listening session an event, primarily because they have incredible dynamics, particularly around the leading edge of notes.

If I were to start looking again, I would have Pilium at the top of my list to explore based on comments I've read here and limited exposure at Munich, as they appear to have similar properties to the Heisenbergs which I prize so highly.
Agree on CH Amps, They are very good SS Amps but not something i can live with for long periods of time.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I hope you do get to hear RK in a sympathetic system at some point, I've heard K-70 sound wonderful. On that basis top of my anticipation list for Munich in the spring was the Fono Acoustica room. I've a predilection for Kharma, Wadax has always intrigued and as for Robert Koda, a lot of love.

View attachment 115798

The room was truly awful, a tight, lean sound that was as far from high end music reproduction as I've heard (Friday of the show). A great disappointment and hard to understand. No doubt all the components on show should deliver something satisfying in the right setting. As is usually the case in the audiophile world, the parts and the sum of those parts rarely come together like a mathematical equation.
I also found this room to be a disappointment, I could only imagine its an issue with the room. Speakers sounded under powered.

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
Hi Verdier

The very best I know and I tested a lot, also shared with 1 other well known audio store in Europe and with 1 speaker manufacturer :

1. APURNA™ (France) monoblocs Apogée or Soprano Limited Apogée
2. Robert KODA K160

All the other you listed sound great but audio to more or less degree. I had some for my private use, then some as audio dealer. Since 2022, I stopped all and keep only APURNA™. The designer use disruptive technology from aerospace and military.

Cheers
Philippe
Have you tested the JMF audio amplifiers vs APURNA, or the FM Acoustics monoblocks vs APURNA by any chance? Thanks

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Have you tested the JMF audio amplifiers vs APURNA, or the FM Acoustics monoblocks vs APURNA by any chance? Thanks
Hi
I had not yet compared to FM Acoustics. I compared to JMF audio with the same speakers and the APURNA™ is much (much) better in detail retrieval, tones, speed, dynamics from pp to fff. JMF flagship amp is impressive on fff. At this day, APURNA™ Prélude stereo amplifier had been compared to other integrated and won every time by a clear margin (Swiss, German, Danish, English electronics). I can send Brands and models by MP. Some audiophiles that are not PHPAUDIO customers but visitors sometimes here, said that APURNA™ stereo is the best they have listen to, and some that listened to JMF and APURNA™ monoblocks have the same conclusion than me.

Reactions: AudioLibertarian

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
Hi
I had not yet compared to FM Acoustics. I compared to JMF audio with the same speakers and the APURNA™ is much (much) better in detail retrieval, tones, speed, dynamics from pp to fff. JMF flagship amp is impressive on fff. At this day, APURNA™ Prélude stereo amplifier had been compared to other integrated and won every time by a clear margin (Swiss, German, Danish, English electronics). I can send Brands and models by MP. Some audiophiles that are not PHPAUDIO customers but visitors sometimes here, said that APURNA™ stereo is the best they have listen to, and some that listened to JMF and APURNA™ monoblocks have the same conclusion than me.
Yes I would greatly appreciate your comparison observations of the Prelude stereo unit vs similar amplifiers and integrated units in it class and beyond. Merci beaucoup!

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
From my point of view and also appreciation from many audiophiles that tested Prélude:

First, Prélude is free from any distorsion a bit like if it was on cells. Speed, transients are really fact like some rare electronics but without any trace of saturation or edginess. I had almost tested 25/30 high-end amplifier those last 15 years, Prélude is the best on this point, it permits stunning delineation at pp or p and is unbelievable on f to fff. The third point is transparency and true natural tones. Transparency is at the edge of today ultra high end amplifiers but tones are like the very best tubes without any coloration. Details and shades are to die for, from baroque music to Jazz, Orchestral classic music to contemporary music even experimental. This is also due to his ability to deliver huge transient power. APURNA™ has also special features patented, non memory effect and no cable inside, only ultra short connection on aerospace printed boards, military components (available on none audio amplifiers). Bass is tight, with definition and power. On my ALSYVOX the result is awesome. Medium and vocals are so present that the common sensation of thereness is palpable. Highs are without trace of saturation, extended so you can listen to trumpet, sax, triangle, ... with sensation to have the instrument in front of you, not on a record. The last virtue is that the amplifier is very good to very low volume to very high. At very low volume it has a quality similar to baroque music in a church, unamplified like I listened to Jordi Savall 10 days ago.
This is on ALSYVOX planar speakers, but also listened on many dynamic speakers.
As I said it is better than any amplifier up to 2 sometimes 3 times its cost. For sure very powerful amplifier are better on demanding orchestral music at loud level, then in that case APURNA™ has Soprano monoblocs and Apogée monoblocs that have the same virtues but better resolution, much more dynamics and they are even more natural.

Here is the listening appreciation from one of my most (very) critical customer of his electrostatic speakers :
. Prélude is perfectly stable, regardless of the level of listening and/or complexity of the message
. does not fade, does not become acidic when the listening level is very high (orchestral music)
. offers a perfect balance between legato and the percussive aspect of the piano
. respects the width and layering of the sound plans (orchestral music, when present in the recording)
. presents a respect and a diversity of timbres of the highest level (the voices are beautiful and fair - Bartoli and Jarouski on the Mission CD)

Many speakers manufacturers said that it's the best amplifier they listened to , and they buy APURNA™ for their speakers development and also their shows.
At this time only PHPAUDIO sell APURNA™, latest model with warranty, but in 2024 there will be more dealers in Europe and overseas. Production is limited as all amplifiers are made by Franck and require 10 to 12 weeks before shipping sometimes more on luxury version of Apogée.

KR

Philippe

Attachments

• Prelude.png
    Prelude.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • Capture d’écran 2023-01-18 à 12.06.15.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-01-18 à 12.06.15.png
    514.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Capture d’écran 2023-01-18 à 12.07.30.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-01-18 à 12.07.30.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • apurna_prelude_soprano_apogee_creation_ampli_003.jpg
    apurna_prelude_soprano_apogee_creation_ampli_003.jpg
    889.9 KB · Views: 20
  • apurna_prelude_soprano_apogee_creation_ampli_14.jpg
    apurna_prelude_soprano_apogee_creation_ampli_14.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 21

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
APURNA™ has also special features patented

Could you please post links to the patents?

Google is unable to locate even basic technical description related to these amps.

And rather unusually, despite the huge claimed power, distortion is only quoted at a power level of 1(one) watt.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Could you please post links to the patents?

Google is unable to locate even basic technical description related to these amps.

And rather unusually, despite the huge claimed power, distortion is only quoted at a power level of 1(one) watt.
Hello

I had been in Cascais mais some years ago, a very fine place.
I will not give more informations about APURNA™ electronics than those that are listed on my website. The designer do not want to tell more about it's technology and his performance. Franck uses some technology from military fiels as he work for years for some well known companies that work in aerospace and military projects.

What I can tell you that in comparison to others amplifiers at 50 k€, even more, Prélude has an uncanny purity that is immediately perceptible, but my customers and the listeners that come at PHPAUDIO, all said that this is the best amplifier they had listened to. Imagine mono blocks....
The topic is what is the best, I answer. It's not easy for my contacts to say that their electronics are very good but declared less or much less good that theirs, because they want to buy APURNA™ and to sell their electronics in quite a depressed market.
I can say a bit more on MP or at phpaudio@orange.fr

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
From my point of view and also appreciation from many audiophiles that tested Prélude:

First, Prélude is free from any distorsion a bit like if it was on cells. Speed, transients are really fact like some rare electronics but without any trace of saturation or edginess. I had almost tested 25/30 high-end amplifier those last 15 years, Prélude is the best on this point, it permits stunning delineation at pp or p and is unbelievable on f to fff. The third point is transparency and true natural tones. Transparency is at the edge of today ultra high end amplifiers but tones are like the very best tubes without any coloration. Details and shades are to die for, from baroque music to Jazz, Orchestral classic music to contemporary music even experimental. This is also due to his ability to deliver huge transient power. APURNA™ has also special features patented, non memory effect and no cable inside, only ultra short connection on aerospace printed boards, military components (available on none audio amplifiers). Bass is tight, with definition and power. On my ALSYVOX the result is awesome. Medium and vocals are so present that the common sensation of thereness is palpable. Highs are without trace of saturation, extended so you can listen to trumpet, sax, triangle, ... with sensation to have the instrument in front of you, not on a record. The last virtue is that the amplifier is very good to very low volume to very high. At very low volume it has a quality similar to baroque music in a church, unamplified like I listened to Jordi Savall 10 days ago.
This is on ALSYVOX planar speakers, but also listened on many dynamic speakers.
As I said it is better than any amplifier up to 2 sometimes 3 times its cost. For sure very powerful amplifier are better on demanding orchestral music at loud level, then in that case APURNA™ has Soprano monoblocs and Apogée monoblocs that have the same virtues but better resolution, much more dynamics and they are even more natural.

Here is the listening appreciation from one of my most (very) critical customer of his electrostatic speakers :
. Prélude is perfectly stable, regardless of the level of listening and/or complexity of the message
. does not fade, does not become acidic when the listening level is very high (orchestral music)
. offers a perfect balance between legato and the percussive aspect of the piano
. respects the width and layering of the sound plans (orchestral music, when present in the recording)
. presents a respect and a diversity of timbres of the highest level (the voices are beautiful and fair - Bartoli and Jarouski on the Mission CD)

Many speakers manufacturers said that it's the best amplifier they listened to , and they buy APURNA™ for their speakers development and also their shows.
At this time only PHPAUDIO sell APURNA™, latest model with warranty, but in 2024 there will be more dealers in Europe and overseas. Production is limited as all amplifiers are made by Franck and require 10 to 12 weeks before shipping sometimes more on luxury version of Apogée.

KR

Philippe
Some may laugh but if they are a music lovers, you may consider a revelation, if you are a manufacturer or a dealer I understand. As said Machiavel, "it is more secured to be feared than to be loved"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing