Classification of some top SS amps (brands)

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Of those on your list, I've spent time with the following in my own system:

CH Precision (L1 + X1, A1, M1 mono) - the L1+X1 is an exceptional pre-amp, probably the best I've heard in my system - transparent with a huge soundstage, but the power amps I found neutral to the point of boredom. When I listen to music, I want it to be an event and make me pay attention but the CH amps didn't do that and so I found them disappointing relative to the hype & cost.

Vitus (SA-25, SM101, SP102) - I love the A-class sound Vitus produces, but the cheaper end of class-A range of amps tend to lack a bit of power and drive, and detail is not their strong-point. I suspect you get more of this the higher up the range you go, but by that stage, you are getting very expensive.

Solution (5-series) - really like the speed and transparency of these amps, and if I'd had a dealer closer to me at the time, I might have explored them more.

Outside of the above 3, I spent quite a bit of time listening to D'Agostino, Burmester, Ayre, Constellation, but if I'm honest, none of them created a strong enough impression that I demo'd them in my system. It led me to conclude that it's quite hard to produce an SS amp that is "different" enough to stand out from the crowd.

This perhaps begs the question of what I ended up with.....

In the first instance, a pair of Berning Quadrature Z's, but as these are valves (albeit with 220W of power) they are outside of this thread, but they beat the above in my view in terms of speed, transparency, timbre, and emotional engagement.

What I currently have does fit this thread, and is a pair of Audionet Heisenbergs, which were the first SS amps I heard which beat the Bernings - fast, beautiful timbre, but perhaps most importantly, they make every listening session an event, primarily because they have incredible dynamics, particularly around the leading edge of notes.

If I were to start looking again, I would have Pilium at the top of my list to explore based on comments I've read here and limited exposure at Munich, as they appear to have similar properties to the Heisenbergs which I prize so highly.
Thank you for sharing your description

Yes , Vitus is very emotional but most modern speakers in large rooms need more power and high power Vitus monoblocks are expensive .

me and three of my friends have listened to/compared countless ss amplifiers since 2000 but non of SS amplifiers come close to Vitus Amplifiers.

Reactions: Thieliste

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Verdier

The very best I know and I tested a lot, also shared with 1 other well known audio store in Europe and with 1 speaker manufacturer :

1. APURNA™ (France) monoblocs Apogée or Soprano Limited Apogée
2. Robert KODA K160

All the other you listed sound great but audio to more or less degree. I had some for my private use, then some as audio dealer. Since 2022, I stopped all and keep only APURNA™. The designer use disruptive technology from aerospace and military.

Cheers
Philippe
Very intriguing. I have some appreciation for your 'ear' based on your brands and particularly Robert Koda. I will do some reading on Apurna which I am not familiar with.

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Very intriguing. I have some appreciation for your 'ear' based on your brands and particularly Robert Koda. I will do some reading on Apurna which I am not familiar with.
All the informations about APURNA™ are here

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
APURNA™ is not yet imported in USA, only on sale in Europe.
I plan to sell in USA at the beginning of 2024.
May be Asia latter.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I spoke with Robert about a year ago and he told me that he could not produce enough product to open a dealer/distributor in the USA . He did explain that he makes everything by himself and if that is still the case his output is very small.
I was interested in representing the product here.

I’ve got the same informationen after an extended period of dialogue with Robert where a potential Scandinavian representation has been put on pause.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I’ve got the same informationen after an extended period of dialogue with Robert where a potential Scandinavian representation has been put on pause.

In 2020, the company made a pause due to a private divorce. Then the company started again and now the things are on rails. It is true that APURNA could make at least 10 to 12 amplifiers each years at this time, because the are hand made to order and each electronic parts are assembled and soldered like a high-end Swiss watch by Franck himself with binoculars etc... All parts are made by skilled artisans in France saves the printed boards that are made in Germany.
USA export will be made by PHPAUDIO with a local Importer but we have to work a bit to have all the certifications to export in the United States.
APURNA™ is not another high-end brand, it's a disruptive approach to amplification. As the finish is also of very high standard, with culmination of luxury with Apogée models, have APURNA™ is like ordering a master piano.
Also Robert has 2021 models, only PHPAUDIO has 2023 editions that have been revised especially Soprano mono blocks and Apogée flagship mono blocks.
I stopped the other brand I represented because APURNA™ is so much better, there is no escape for ultimate.
KR
Philippe

Attachments

• IMG_4049.jpg
    IMG_4049.jpg
    774.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230207_104623_resized.jpg
    20230207_104623_resized.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 36

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I could not think of anyone finer in your part of the world to look after the Robert Koda brand. Robert is an artisan of extraordinary commitment and exacting standard, and he does do the work himself with a profound sense of joy and intense commitment. So I could imagine that it is a challenge for him to keep growing.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
HI!
unfortunately It will be difficult to almost impossible for you to get an answer here,
Because every owner of A Component from one of the brands on the list, will say that his is the "Best and most worthy" , and all the superlatives that exist.
I can tell you that I have checked quite a few "claim the crown", whether at my place or at the local distributors,
HAD brands in the high series/Top such as D'Agostino, KARAN, Pass Labs, Accuphase, and I have heard from the various distributors Several of the brands you mentioned, including many others,
My choice after comparing at my place in a Session vs 3 different companies that were specified on a particularly long and exhausting day, I chose PILIUM - simply - played more orderly, clearer, cleaner, defined and deeper Presentation Without losing for a moment, naturalness no matter what Gain or musical genre I play.

But a lot depends on the other components, The quality and type of speakers, the cables, the space and countless other variables that none of us know.

If you are in my area, would love to host you and let you be impressed.

Whatever you choose, I wish you an enjoyable journey and lots of success and insights in the future.

Thanks for posting , a few questions ,

1. Are you using a pre amp ..?
2. Is your system analog only , Digital only or both ..?

3. What kind of speaker load ..?

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
Thanks for posting , a few questions ,

1. Are you using a pre amp ..?
2. Is your system analog only , Digital only or both ..?

3. What kind of speaker load ..?

I would be happy to answer,

1. Yes, I currently use a full set of PILIUM.

- 2CH Power - PILIUM ACHILLES
- 2Chasis Pre-Amp - PILIUM ALEXANDER

2. I work "digitally"
with a very high-quality server from the Switze Company - "Request Audio" model: "The Raptor" , with a dedicated Request network cable called Lan Wizzard, which connects to the power supply of the unit, connected with an AES cable from Siltech: The Golden Ridge 2,
AC power cord XL
from Transparent latest Generation.

-To-

LAMPIZATOR's R2R tubes DAC, The Golden Gate model in the Balance Engine version, and XLR cables from Siltech, Queen, and Siltech Crown power cord.

3. Not sure I understood your question,

But if the question is which speakers I m using

the answer:

"Kaiser Acoustics"

"Classic Kawero!"

Very high version, C3 with internal crossovers & wiring from KONDO
SPs 2.7 wiring.

and other upgrades.

Regardless, you can read about my SETUP in the signature below :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiohertz2

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I could not think of anyone finer in your part of the world to look after the Robert Koda brand. Robert is an artisan of extraordinary commitment and exacting standard, and he does do the work himself with a profound sense of joy and intense commitment. So I could imagine that it is a challenge for him to keep growing.
I think Markus told about Robert the owner of an audio shop in Stockholm, not Robert Koda. We said that Franck Borne of APURNA™ could not produce more than 10 / 12 units per year, at this point, due to the fascinating level of precision of the amplifiers. It's like a Luxury Swiss Watch, all is made by Franck Himself with binocular optics, military aerospace disruptive technology. Now we work together and I represent APURNA™ in most European countries.

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpg
    IMG_5678.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 11

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ypsilon Aelius mono amps with c3g input tubes is superb amp.my favorite.sounds so muscular and alive. the bass is fantastically structured down to the last detail. the version with input tube 6c45pi is crap. View attachment 115583 View attachment 115584

From above would always prefer gryphon. very musical sound is what turns me on the most.
I actually preferred the Phaeton integrated (probably the best choice for someone who needs more than about 100 watts from an amp)...at least from the times I have heard both. The REALLY interesting amps from Ypsilon though are the big single ended hybrid monos.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I actually preferred the Phaeton integrated (probably the best choice for someone who needs more than about 100 watts from an amp)...at least from the times I have heard both. The REALLY interesting amps from Ypsilon though are the big single ended hybrid monos.
Yes, I like the Ypsilon Ref Monos having heard them many many years ago. Cannot say I know them well, but instinctively I definitely took note of my time with them as something quite special.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I love the ypsilon aelius next to the outsider equipe mono amps(variable damping factor), the best I know. 7717689324_g.jpg

Reactions: Audiohertz2

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
Some reviewers have remarked that the Burmester amps are solid state that appeals to tube amp aficionados. After an extended love affair with 21st century CJ and ARC amps, I recognize my own reaction in those words. I am joyfully surprised with the performance of the Burmester 911 mk3 in my system.
I don't know who that would be. Burmester components, particularly the amplifiers are unmistakably solid state in sound character. I recommended them to a friend about a year ago. He does not like tube amps or the tube rolling, etc. So I told him Burmester is one of the very best sounding solid state amplifiers. The bass in particular, and for A/V use. And the speakers make a big difference. You will definitely hear the tightness and control with speakers that can reproduce bass in the 20 to 50 Hz range. And the rest, well definitely clear clean detailed solid state type of a sound.

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
All at reference level assuming that loudspeakers system, source, preamp, cables, treatment of power grid and whole acoustic concern are in order.
In other words, any really good solid state amplifier will sound great in that set up. Final tuning is done with what you listed above.

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
In other words, any really good solid state amplifier will sound great in that set up. Final tuning is done with what you listed above.
Truly i don't think so based on my humble experience to demo and listen several amps. The magic word to fullfill is "the true sinergy of system's approach" between all components (electric and acoustic). If you're referring to my set-up there are 13 months of true acoustic and research/development of what you can partially see in photo. Of course the sound performance can not be described in words but need to listen phisically on place to believe.

Last edited:

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
I don't know who that would be. Burmester components, particularly the amplifiers are unmistakably solid state in sound character. I recommended them to a friend about a year ago. He does not like tube amps or the tube rolling, etc. So I told him Burmester is one of the very best sounding solid state amplifiers. The bass in particular, and for A/V use. And the speakers make a big difference. You will definitely hear the tightness and control with speakers that can reproduce bass in the 20 to 50 Hz range. And the rest, well definitely clear clean detailed solid state type of a sound.

What PreAmp are you listening to the amps on .?

Any good amplifier, SS or toobs takes on the tone sound and drive of the preamp , the colored ones add their flavor ..!

The amplifier main job is to amplify the preamp signal while driving the load presented ..

Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing