Clocks with JCAT or Pink Faun or Afterdark

zek4u

Jun 8, 2024
Temple, TX
My system already sounds terrific but I want to eliminate as many bottlenecks as possible.

Current setup:
Standard MB > USB > Audio-GD DI-20HE DDC (with Esoteric G-05 Master Clock) > Spdif > DCS Scarlatti (also clocked to Esoteric G-05 Master Clock). Balanced Power & conditioning.

Use case: I want to use my desktop for everything, Tidal through Jriver, YouTube, Photoshop, etc

Options:
1. Complete my Marcin forum approved HDplex/XEON computer build.
Decision 1:
A. Jcat XE USB
B. Pink Faun USB
C. Afterdark Nocturnes Giesemann U1 USB Card (Allows me to sync to my Esoteric G-05 master clock)
D. RME HDSPe AES (recommended to me by major studio person “why do all that, keep it simple, no external psu option)
E. Pink Faun SPDIF Bridge

Decision 2 (power above with):
A. Jcat Optimo Duo PSU
B. JCat Nano (good enough?)
C. Spend crazy money for a Jcat Optimo S ATX and skip the Optimo Duo PSU

Decision 3:
A. Above Jcat Optimo S ATX
B. Keep using a Dell brick to power the HDPLEX PSU with Jcat Optimo Duo PSU
C. Get a Farad 10a for HDPLEX PSU I have to power Xeon based MB along with Jcat Optimo Duo
D. Better option?

2. Forget the HDPLEX/Xeon build above and just put one of the above card options in my existing old computer build.
Issue: I believe in garbage in, garbage out. I’ve heard a power cable make a difference on the dirty side of my network fiber switch. It all matters. Could the Audio-GD DI-20HE DDC be good enough or is a dedicated HDPlex/Xeon computer powered by a linear psu next level.

Also, wouldn’t I benefit from everything being synced with my Esoteric G-05 Master Clock including a Afterdark Nocturnes Giesemann U1 USB Card or do the benefits of the other cards outweigh this option.

I’m probably giving up on option of doing native DSD with DCS Scarlatti but I would rather have the best sound with functionality versus a DCS Bridge.

Such a wealth of knowledge here and wonder if any of you have done some comparisons so I can avoid buying all the above and go straight for the best solution.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing