New to the forum: high end music server with Roon Core and 3 x dedicated linear power supplies

Clipper

Feb 7, 2020
Divertiti I have to tell you , I listened to the Innuos Zenith and Phoenix at a dealership , from what I remember of that day I liked what I listened to very much plus the convenience of managing music for me was incredible leaving a disc spinner .
This combination was an expensive decision plus on top a 2nd USB cable including another power cord is needed .

The Evo Aeon came to my attention I looked into it at a dealer and it was a lot less money then the Innuos pair . I am thrilled with my Aeon , I use USB exclusively . I have to mention a recent purchase of a Sablon Audio USB cable , once run in had a huge impact on sound quality. Still I cannot believe how much the other brand cable held back the sound quality, a brand i quickly sold is wildly known and used ,..
The Puritan conditioner i purchased actually is effective for once I use only with low draw source components I’m also happy with this purchase .

Last edited:

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
AEON.jpg

I agree. The AEON is a steal for the performance it provides. It is optimised for USB, so no wasted parts and budget on AES, S/PDIF etc. If your DAC has a preferred USB port, then it is a no brainer IMO.

It also has dual external fully isolated LPS supplies, one for the Motherboard and OS, the other for the high end USB card and super clock.

download.jpg

Newtoncr

Aug 10, 2020
Cleveland, ohio
www.swgeneral.com
What’s the opinion on the wolf streamers , the alpha 3sx and more importantly the 2 box wolf 2 sx version in comparison to the above mentioned streamers .I have not heard the evo but I liked the wolf 2 sx compared to the innuos statement.

Reactions: RobertL

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
My point exactly, many of the servers I have heard are closer to the cost of the Kassandra, but don't give better performance. We also tried many of the servers with the Chord DAVE DAC as well, same result.
You must not assume performance of any server is based on specific price, that is my point here.

And do we then also look for 20K audio switches, and 20K power regenerators, 20K audio cables. I would rather real world test and then make my choice. A case in point on Aries Cerat, yes not a cheap product, but the performance is beyond anything else we have heard.
Hello Astrostar59,

I totally agree with your answer. True musical results are not always a matter of cost, ... sometimes yes. Especially in digital, I found very interesting to compare products that are not in the same cost league. My new transport/server is more transparent, more right on tones at 9,2K than my previous US transport at 30 K ! Soundstage and details are also better for a better thereness. Both used the same upgraded fuses, the same high-end power cord.
I also compared a digital cable at 450 euros with one at 3000 euros and the result is not evident. The cheaper cable is superbly clean and transparent, the more expensive add some air and body. More about this later, I will try more.
All the best,

FredericV

Industry Expert
Jun 9, 2020
We have a lot of news from 432 EVO for 2021:

1. all new new differential clock system for AEON and MASTER

Our AEON and MASTER flagship models now come with a new differential clock system, and existing customers can also upgrade to the new clock. We have been rolling out the new clock since a couple of months, and the feedback is very positive.

As the clock board and the high-end USB output card are 2 separate PCB's, users can keep their burned in output card and just get the new clock. Contrary to some other designs, 432 EVO does not use reclocking USB hubs which feed from the mainboard's USB headers, which then leads us to the next upgraded part:

2. all new shielded internal cabling

All models except the entry level STANDARD model will now be equipped with an uprated internal PCI express cable, which is now more robust, EMI shielded with a conducting polymer and rated for up to 8 gigabit transmission. While the dedicated USB output card does not require such extreme bandwidth for audio, the sound quality difference is noticeable compared to the previous non shielded cable.

3. all new mainboard, twice as fast as N4200 based designs

From April 2021, the MASTER, AEON and HIGH-END models will now feature the fastest Gemini Lake Refresh system on chip from Intel which was released in Q4 2020. This chip is 75% to 100% faster than the N4200 used by several competitors, which was released in 2016.

The STANDARD model will also have a faster CPU compared to any 432 EVO model from 2020, and all units are now equipped with 8 GB RAM, of which a fraction is used under normal audiophile use.

432 EVO will continue using system on chip based designs for the mainboards because of much lower EMI and RF compared to full desktop, or server CPU’s which emit a lot more RF, which has been measured in the lab with microwave radiation meters. SOC’s also help the EVO chassis to stay cool under all conditions, even under full load.

4. Full SSD on custom 3D printed spring suspension mounts

All 432 EVO models are now equipped with 2 TB Samsung SSD's. Any model can also be equipped with 4 TB or 8 TB SSDs.

On models continued in 2021, the SATA is also noise filtered, and SATA protocol tuning is also applied in our flagship products.
We also kept the spring suspension system as it also protects the SSD against mechanical shocks during transport, and now we custom 3D print this part.

5. Roon 1.8

All recent 432 EVO models including the entry level STANDARD model, now can run Roon 1.8 with improved metadata capabilities.
432 EVO has received a lot of positive feedback, and Roon running on 432 EVO is full Roon Core (not an endpoint) combined with 432 EVO’s own sublime player which supports bitperfect, or upsample mode with 10 custom tuneable filters – combined with or without the 432 Hz feature.

On AEON & MASTER Roon actually runs on dedicated CPU cores with its own realtime tuning, and the player and base OS each run on separate CPU cores for optimal software jitter tuning.

Roon users have sent spontaneous emails that the sound quality difference between Logitech Media Server and Roon has become very small, and we have observed that Roon is no longer causing cpu spikes since the March updates. Others have reported Roon is more fluent now, even on older 432 EVO's from several years ago.

We applaud Roon for making the software soundwise also great.

6. Essence model discontinued

The Essence model is the only 432 EVO model with a high-end DAC built-in. Unfortunately this DAC is no longer produced, and therefore the model is being discontinued in it’s current form. There is still some remaining stock, so please contact your reseller for availability of our all-in-one model.

7. 432 EVO MASTER price drop

The 432 EVO MASTER has been reduced in price to € 12500 for the 2 TB model.
Previously it started at € 14000 and 4 TB was the smallest capacity.

The May 2021 pricelist can be found on our website, being the last item in the Products menu.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Would any of the 432 EVO servers support a purely Ethernet wired setup? I only use USB with my Roon Nucleus to access my 10+ TB of music.

Update: received your reply via email. I’m out of luck. It’s USB or search elsewhere.

Last edited:

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Would any of the 432 EVO servers support a purely Ethernet wired setup? I only use USB with my Roon Nucleus to access my 10+ TB of music.

Update: received your reply via email. I’m out of luck. It’s USB or search elsewhere.
USB is actually better, things keep changing.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
USB is actually better, things keep changing.
What’s interesting is that Ron’s own implementation explicitly favors Ethernet over USB. Both their forums and documentation call that out. Guess it comes down to design and implementation of these technologies.

RobertL

Oct 19, 2021
Can the Roon Core of the EVO Master or Aeon run the HQPlayer software for upsampling to DSD?
Thanks

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
This looks very interesting.

Question on streaming from it via USB: other than Roon, does 432 Evo has its own app / service? Like the new Sense that Innuos launched earlier this year?

I understand it does NOT stream direct via Ethernet (I.e. to a DAC with built in network bridge).

What is the price list in USD for US customers?

Stibi

Aug 22, 2021
@Matt - I have compared the Evo master with the Taiko Extreme and couple of other streamers and in my system and to my ears the Evo was the one and now I have it in my system for more than an year and very happy. I use it with Qobus and it sounds beautiful. As far as the very much advertized 432 Hz plugin - not my cup of tea, as well as the other tons of filters. All filters off sounds the best for me. Besides the bit lousy customer service of the company (not the dealer) it is brilliant server.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
@Matt - I have compared the Evo master with the Taiko Extreme and couple of other streamers and in my system and to my ears the Evo was the one and now I have it in my system for more than an year and very happy. I use it with Qobus and it sounds beautiful. As far as the very much advertized 432 Hz plugin - not my cup of tea, as well as the other tons of filters. All filters off sounds the best for me. Besides the bit lousy customer service of the company (not the dealer) it is brilliant server.
Welcome stibi to wbf.

Reactions: Stibi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing