Clones Audio full discrete linear power supply kit for Jeff Rowland Capri Series preamplifier

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
https://www.monoandstereo.com/2021/12/new-clones-jeff-roland-preamp-module.html

Reactions: Rocoa

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
What was the most surprising to me was the “emptiness“ of the chassis. I am going to assume this is a op amp based preamp? With the revived thread about the Constellation Audio internal construction this gives me just as much pause. Sorry to comment on the power supply thread.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
What was the most surprising to me was the “emptiness“ of the chassis. I am going to assume this is a op amp based preamp? With the revived thread about the Constellation Audio internal construction this gives me just as much pause. Sorry to comment on the power supply thread.
No problem.
I myself don't like that "empty-ness" too.
:p

But at least the Clones Audio powersupply module kicks the switching psu away.
:cool:

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
If nothing else the new power supply should give a boost to the sound quality of the little Capri. i wonder if this also works with the SC version?

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
With the innovations, improvements, and R&D budgets allotted to low voltage parts and power supplies driven by the computer industry, switching power supplies are capable of SOTA performance when cost is not the overriding design parameter. Is the Clone Audio LPS an actual performance improvement or does it just play into audiophiles knee-jerk reaction to SMPS? DB7CE6A9-5306-483E-819C-B1FCE83ED59D.jpeg

*pictured is the Lejonklou Singularity MC phono preamplifier. SOTA performance using switch mode power supplies

Last edited:

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
With the innovations, improvements, and R&D budgets allotted to low voltage parts and power supplies driven by the computer industry, switching power supplies are capable of SOTA performance when cost is not the overriding design parameter. Is the Clone Audio LPS an actual performance improvement or does it just play into audiophiles knee-jerk reaction to SMPS?
Good point, a lot of knee jerk purchasing going on in high end audio. Maybe this is a sound quality improvement since I am sure Jeff put much of his budget into the beautiful CNC casework and maybe had little left over for a SOTA SMPS. Just a thought.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Good point, a lot of knee jerk purchasing going on in high end audio. Maybe this is a sound quality improvement since I am sure Jeff put much of his budget into the beautiful CNC casework and maybe had little left over for a SOTA SMPS. Just a thought.
Agree!

Look at the Capri's original switching psu carefully and you will know yhat it's made by MeanWell.
Not a proprietary hi-end one for sure.
:rolleyes:

IMG_20211203_225643.jpg

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
Why would it need to be a “proprietary hi-end one” if it meets Rowland's design specs? Sure, MeanWell's volume of manufacturing means they can make one of those boards for $20US or so retail. Clones Audio asks $329 for theirs. Which one does the job better?

Reactions: matthias

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Why would it need to be a “proprietary hi-end one” if it meets Rowland's design specs? Sure, MeanWell's volume of manufacturing means they can make one of those boards for $20US or so retail. Clones Audio asks $329 for theirs. Which one does the job better?
Haha
It depends on what the "job" means.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
This all falls into Subjective vs Objective. If the Clones sounds better then it was a subjective improvement. If ithe factory SMPS supplies all the needed voltages per spec then it was an Objective win and nothing needs to be changed. I guess more time is needed for JRDG Capri owners to make the change and give their subjective feedback on any improvements. Lots of “buy this” because it is better because I say so in this industry. I try and keep an open mind and ride the middle of the subjective/objective fence.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
This all falls into Subjective vs Objective. If the Clones sounds better then it was a subjective improvement. If it supplies all the needed voltages per spec then it was an Objective win and nothing needs to be changed. I guess more time is needed for JRDG Capri owners to make the change and give their subjective feedback on any improvements. Lots of “buy this” because it is better because I say so in this industry. I try and keep an open mind and ride the middle of the subjective/objective fence.
This is a reasonable approach.
I have full confidence in Funjoe, the designer of Clones Audio.
Let's wait for feedbacks from Capri owners.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing