Comparison of some Cartridges in the 4k+ region: Soundsmith "The Voice", Ikeda 9 TT, Ortofon "Windfeld Ti", Air Tight PC1

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Shakti, you have not shared your final opinions on Madake. Would you please kindly do, I really wonder how you rate it.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Shakti, you have not shared your final opinions on Madake. Would you please kindly do, I really wonder how you rate it.
The Madake was not performing on the level, my other carts on this price region did.
As many Madake users are very happy with their Maadake, maybe my set up was not able to host the Madake in the appropriate way.
I sold the Madake faster than originally planned, so I decided to not write more about the Madake cart. It is more valuable, if user with good matching set ups do it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Madake was not performing on the level, my other carts on this price region did.
As many Madake users are very happy with their Maadake, maybe my set up was not able to host the Madake in the appropriate way.
I sold the Madake faster than originally planned, so I decided to not write more about the Madake cart. It is more valuable, if user with good matching set ups do it.

Perfect thanks for that, could never understand it I always called it Muddyke

Reactions: gian60 and Lagonda

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
It has become my main cartridge and I really like how it plays along any kind of music I play. It was the most balanced sounding and when I measured it also showed the flattest frequency response and very good separation. It is not a hyped cartridge in any sense. It certainly is suitable for my setup and my taste. I only wished it did not have a shibata stylus as it underperforms when there is music very close to center of the record. I am looking for a destiny because of that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It has become my main cartridge and I really like how it plays along any kind of music I play. It was the most balanced sounding and when I measured it also showed the flattest frequency response and very good separation. It is not a hyped cartridge in any sense. It certainly is suitable for my setup and my taste. I only wished it did not have a shibata stylus as it underperforms when there is music very close to center of the record. I am looking for a destiny because of that.

I always find it colored and at best suited to one or two instrument tracks

Reactions: gian60

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I always find it colored and at best suited to one or two instrument tracks

I do not listen to one- two instrument music but mainly classical. I also listen to lots of jazz, soul, electronic music... Very interesting, I find it the opposite, not colored at all. The flat response also shows it does not favor any region. I had the soundsmith sg system with sg5 and sg6 which was very dynamic and had very deep bass and extended highs but had some regions subdued and some regions boosted a little, a Kuzma 40 which again is very good for its price and matches the 4 point well, a Koetsu wood body whic was colored, some Goldrings that were underperformers but also had low price and an Ortofon Anna which was ok and made me excited to try the diamond version which I couldn't... I also listened to a special VdH frog and VdH colibri ms strad on this setup. Actually, the least colored and flattest measuring is Madake and the most colored and worst measuring is VdH colibri.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I always liked the Miyajima zero on monos btw, and have heard it in the same systems as the madake. To me they don't have the same house sound

Last edited:
Reactions: Chop and gian60

Sergio Kwitko

Nov 8, 2018
Porto Alegre, Brazil
I have also some experience in comparing cartridges, and this experience might add some things to this very nice forum.
I have already used and compared several cartridges, and I ended liking very much the opened, dynamic, refined and colored sound of Van de Hul The Crimson and Ortofon SPU Meister Silver MKII.
So, I use these two cartridges in two of my arms, Van de Hul The Crimson in a Kuzma 313 arm, and Ortofon SPU Meister Silver MKII in a Jelco TK-950L arm.
Since I would like to have a phono cartridge for my 3rd arm, also a Kuzma 313, and I´ve tested and compared several cartridges with my VdH Crimson and SPU Meister Silver MKII, and all of them performed worse than these. They have less treble and less dynamic, they are warmer and not so colored.
They are the following: Ortofon Jubilee, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Ortofon Cadenza Red, Ortofon SPU Royal N, Dynavector 10X5, Ikeda 9TT, Soudsmith Sussurro MKII ES, and Van den Hul MC-One. I´m currently using a Van den Hul Frog Gold in my third arm, and it´s an excellent cartridge, but not quite as opened as The Crimson and as the SPU Meister Silver MKII.
Surprisingly, an old Shure V-15 type III that I have is the closest to VdH the Crimson as regard to a colored sound, and high frequencies.
Any thoughts and suggestion for a cartridge to my 3rd arm? Lyra Kleos or Delos? Sumiko Starling or Blackbird? Hana Umami Red? Audio-Technica ART9? Any other?

Reactions: wbfhet and hogen

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
Otherwise I would stick to the AT ART 9 as the day to day cartridge.

My "reference" Cartridge Is the vdh Stradivarius Master Signature, so this will be the benchmark in the other direction.

The comparison was done mainly with the following set up:

- TechDAS Airforce 3 Premium turntable
- Ikeda 407 chrom, Ikeda 407 silver, Ikeda 345 silver, SME 3012R tonearms
- Boulder 2008, Audio Specials, Audio flight, Grandinote Celio phono stages
- Koda Takumi K10, Grandinote Genesi PreAmps
- VTL-S 400, Grandinote Demone Amps
- Wilson Audio Maxx 3 speakers

I owned all those tonearms and I don't like any of them and the MXX3 along the S400 is not the best matched combination. If you wish in other time or by private conversation I can explain it about.

Now, the Windfeld Ti is by far the best quality performer of those 4 cartridges you mentioned but in the rigth tonearm/headshell.

In the other side maybe is time for you to listen this one:

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/cartridges/line-series/art-series/at-art9xa

Inexpensive top quality performer.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I owned all those tonearms and I don't like any of them and the MXX3 along the S400 is not the best matched combination. If you wish in other time or by private conversation I can explain it about.

Now, the Windfeld Ti is by far the best quality performer of those 4 cartridges you mentioned but in the rigth tonearm/headshell.

In the other side maybe is time for you to listen this one:

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/cartridges/line-series/art-series/at-art9xa

Inexpensive top quality performer.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

Thank you for your kind advice about your personal preferences.

Currently the ART 9 XA and ART 9 XI are already awaiting their listening hours.
First impression is good and a step beyond the former ART 7 and ART 9 derivatives,
but not on the level of for example the
Mutech Hayabusa, but still good value for the money.

Reactions: hongkongfoufou

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Gian and Shakti,

Somehow I missed this wonderful thread!

What were the comparative conclusions on the Benz Micro LP S-MR?

How does the sound of the standard LP S-MR differ from the Cardas-modified version of that Benz Micro cartridge?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Dear Gian and Shakti,

Somehow I missed this wonderful thread!

What were the comparative conclusions on the Benz Micro LP S-MR?

How does the sound of the standard LP S-MR differ from the Cardas-modified version of that Benz Micro cartridge?
I just wrote some words about the standard Benz LP-S:

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Anybody for a ZYX cartridge ?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Hello,

I have received my ZYX Ultimate 4D today.
It's a great improvment in comparaison to the Audio-Technica Art-9.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I never owned a vdh Crimson, so no chance for a comparison.

The ART9 will show a very good performance in heavy tonearms. AT is measuring the compliance differently to other brands, so a factor of around 10 is between the measurable.
Hello Shakti,

I have two Art-9.
One is with the VPI Classic 3, the other one is with the Technics SL-1000R.
The headshell is the Ortofon LH-9000 and cable are Furutech source 101.
The phono preamplifier is the Accuphase C47. Vpi is connected with RCA and Furutech silver arrow first version, Technics with Furutech silver arrow II.
The sound of the Technics with the Art9 is like a CD, very analytical.
The sound with the VPI is great, the sound is warmer.
I think it is the difference between direct drive and belt.
With the Zyx cartridge, the sound of the Technics is beautiful and very musical.
So , the sound of the turntable is very depend with the type of the direct drive and belt, arm and what we feel when we listen the entire system.
The is no rules for that.
Happy Christmas for all.

Reactions: shakti

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing