CS port...another contender or ??

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Only the paper magazine - I have the full TAS collection starting with issue one. But now I need reeding glasses to read such small print ... ;) Current digital issues are better in some sense, we just increase font size!
Those early TAS where the little booklet format, really irritating size.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
What is the granite looking material Mike ? Is it some kind of Corian like on my Maplenoll ?

drum roll please.....it's all Granite!

if the tops of the motor pod and arm pod are not granite they sure fooled me. they are both dense and heavy and both match the plinth look exactly.

the solid granite plinth weighs 90 pounds, and the stainless steel platter weights 60 pounds. the total weight is 180 pounds.

Reactions: SOS and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
drum roll please.....it's all Granite!

if the tops of the motor pod and arm pod are not granite they sure fooled me. they are both dense and heavy and both match the plinth look exactly.

the solid granite plinth weighs 90 pounds, and the stainless steel platter weights 60 pounds. the total weight is 180 pounds.
I had that coming, the granite looking material, is granite !:) Nice ! Heavy is good.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The model 1 Eminent Technology is listed for 1983 in their product history. The ET arms have the arm tube attached to a center rod that is pressurized from outside by air coming from the stationary air block, like Walker and Maplenoll. The Bergmann, CS Port, Forsell ,VYGER and Holbo have the armtube attached to a guide that is pressurized from the inside by a stationary perforated center rod.
The Forsell model seems to be more popular these days, less required pressure and less moving mass maybe ?

IMHO the Eminent Technology tonearms outsold all others. I owned a few - decided to sell the last ones from my collection a few weeks ago and they were gone to happy buyers in a few days. We can see different ones coming permanently at the usual used audio sales sites.

The very few used Forsell's for sale are the same since long. I like my Forsell tonearm a lot, but recognize it needs some expertise, the ETs have a great manual and are much more logic to adjust.

Anyway I prefer the strategy of having the arm tube attached to a guide that is pressurized from the inside by a stationary perforated center rod - much less tonearm mass and the COG of the tonearm stays static versus active bearing zone center along the whole LP.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
IMHO the Eminent Technology tonearms outsold all others. I owned a few - decided to sell the last ones from my collection a few weeks ago and they were gone to happy buyers in a few days. We can see different ones coming permanently at the usual used audio sales sites.

The very few used Forsell's for sale are the same since long. I like my Forsell tonearm a lot, but recognize it needs some expertise, the ETs have a great manual and are much more logic to adjust.

Anyway I prefer the strategy of having the arm tube attached to a guide that is pressurized from the inside by a stationary perforated center rod - much less tonearm mass and the COG of the tonearm stays static versus active bearing zone center along the whole LP.
I do prefer the ET type of bearing with high pressure, i use 60psi on my Maplenoll arm, it has a silicone trough in front of the cartridge. Hard to do with a quiet pump placed in the same room:rolleyes:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
They should pressurize the air bearing with steam. Then Include an espresso attachment. You could listen all night.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I do prefer the ET type of bearing with high pressure, i use 60psi on my Maplenoll arm, it has a silicone trough in front of the cartridge. Hard to do with a quiet pump placed in the same room:rolleyes:

You use silicone and pump for your tonearm?

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You use silicone and pump for your tonearm?
I’m a big fan of silicone in the right places :rolleyes: I heard mister Townshend is too :)

Reactions: Bobvin

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
They should pressurize the air bearing with steam. Then Include an espresso attachment. You could listen all night.
I think it’s an option on the VYGER ;)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I’m a big fan of silicone in the right places :rolleyes: I heard mister Townshend is too :)
And you are supposed to say “Who ?” “Max ?” o_O

Reactions: bonzo75

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lagonda goes to town with the silicone ones

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: the sound of Tao

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Even the SME 3012R can be outfitted with a silicone trough, but DDK says it’s unnatural ;) Who am i to judge ?

Reactions: christoph

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

hb22

May 25, 2018
The model 1 Eminent Technology is listed for 1983 in their product history. The ET arms have the arm tube attached to a center rod that is pressurized from outside by air coming from the stationary air block, like Walker and Maplenoll. The Bergmann, CS Port, Forsell ,VYGER and Holbo have the armtube attached to a guide that is pressurized from the inside by a stationary perforated center rod.
The Forsell model seems to be more popular these days, less required pressure and less moving mass maybe ?
HOLBO tonearm have the same principe like Versa Dynamics or Rockport. It is true air bearing...

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
HOLBO tonearm have the same principe like Versa Dynamics or Rockport. It is true air bearing...
High pressure ? They are all true air bearings. ;) After looking more at the design, it looks suspiciously like a slim line copy of the Forsell TT in almost every detail.

Last edited:

hb22

May 25, 2018
High pressure ? They are all true air bearings. ;) After looking more at the design, it looks suspiciously like a slim line copy of the Forsell TT in almost every detail.
It is high pressure.Look better.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
It is high pressure.Look better.
No pertinent data on your website or any usable information in any of the reviews i could find. What is the air pressure of the arm bearing ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing