Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Thank you so much; it’s mandatory for me, as my phono cable is XLR and captive

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
My pleasure! I’ll let you know what he says.

BTW, here’s what he said about the transformers:
The transformer is out of this world … a very relaxed 26 dB of passive gain with no RF radio frequency, and after that 3x tubes per channel for the rest.

Reactions: Rotatoubib

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Reply from Rene:
“We evaluated it and offer direct on the RCA connection to be symétric (balanced) or Asymétric (Unbalanced) the sound is better Asymétric like it is also with Classic PHONO.”

Reactions: Rotatoubib

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Reply from Rene:
“We evaluated it and offer direct on the RCA connection to be symétric (balanced) or Asymétric (Unbalanced) the sound is better Asymétric like it is also with Classic PHONO.”
Thank you for asking ! So, if I understand well, no XLR input ?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Thank you for asking ! So, if I understand well, no XLR input ?
Correct, that’s my understanding. And he said it’s the same the Classic Phono which has XLR outputs but only RCA inputs.
A cartridge output is inherently balanced anyway, so even with RCA plugs, the signal is balanced (that‘s my understanding). But I understand that if you already have an XLR phono cable, you would want to continue using it…

More from Nagra:
“Yes the cartridge is balanced but the inductance from the transformer is more when it is Symétrcal compare to Asymétric and this changes the sound quality. Balanced is only interesting when you have very long cable.”

Hope this helps.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Correct, that’s my understanding. And he said it’s the same the Classic Phono which has XLR outputs but only RCA inputs.
A cartridge output is inherently balanced anyway, so even with RCA plugs, the signal is balanced (that‘s my understanding). But I understand that if you already have an XLR phono cable, you would want to continue using it…
The problem is that my phono cable is a captive one, if I want to have RCA input I have to send the Raven tonearm to TW Acustics ( and remove the Nagra cartridge ). Very curious that Nagra didn't put XLR input on its new flagship pre phono. I will have to consider CH Precision P10 instead

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Ho confrontato Ypsilon con Allnic 7000 con KR recti, Ypsilon SUT e Lyra Atlas. L'Ypsilon ha leggermente più alti, più puliti... Allnic con i retti ribaltati ha più energia e flusso sui mediobassi. Dato che il 7000 nel mercato dell'usato è molto più economico e non si perde denaro scambiandolo dentro e fuori, lo comprerei. Ma visto che hai già la Ypsilon, puoi restare. Una cosa su Allnic, però, è sempre molto coinvolgente dal punto di vista emotivo una volta che hai inserito le valvole giuste.
Ciao Bonzo, ti chiedo un consiglio perché ho visto che conosci bene sia l'allnic 7000 che l'ypsilo mc 10 sut.
Ho un emt jsd 6 platino e ho l'h 7000V allnic con recti KR. Ho provato a impostare il carico partendo da 19 ohm poi a 29 ohm ma con il sut con rapporto 1/40 (bassi devastanti ma sugli alti urlava un po' troppo, lame di rasoio) poi prova dopo prova ho trovato un buon bilanciamento a 50 ohm con il rapporto 1/20 sut (usando il rapporto 1/10 dell'Allnic l'ho tirato troppo come carico ed è tornato a non avere un bilanciamento tonale. Ho la possibilità di acquistare un Ypsilon MC 10 sut , (rapporto di carico 1/10 con possibilità di variare con i connettori di carico) in base alla vostra esperienza cosa consigliate.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ciao Bonzo, ti chiedo un consiglio perché ho visto che conosci bene sia l'allnic 7000 che l'ypsilo mc 10 sut.
Ho un emt jsd 6 platino e ho l'h 7000V allnic con recti KR. Ho provato a impostare il carico partendo da 19 ohm poi a 29 ohm ma con il sut con rapporto 1/40 (bassi devastanti ma sugli alti urlava un po' troppo, lame di rasoio) poi prova dopo prova ho trovato un buon bilanciamento a 50 ohm con il rapporto 1/20 sut (usando il rapporto 1/10 dell'Allnic l'ho tirato troppo come carico ed è tornato a non avere un bilanciamento tonale. Ho la possibilità di acquistare un Ypsilon MC 10 sut , (rapporto di carico 1/10 con possibilità di variare con i connettori di carico) in base alla vostra esperienza cosa consigliate.

Hi I haven't compared the SUTs - with Allnic 7000 vs Ypsilon we had the Ypsilon SUT into Ypsilon. Have you tried going directly into the Allnic with the JSD 6 without the SUT?

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Hi I haven't compared the SUTs - with Allnic 7000 vs Ypsilon we had the Ypsilon SUT into Ypsilon. Have you tried going directly into the Allnic with the JSD 6 without the SUT?
Thanks for the very quick response. Yes, I tried but the mm input is too low even for the emt 6 platinum, also because of my rellators (82 db) and on the mc you can't exclude the sut. having seen that by lowering the ratio the sound acquires refinement, all I have to do is buy the Ypsilon sut based on my intuition or pray on my knees if the shopkeeper lets me do an audition at home. And as we say, this shopkeeper is "not a saint who sweats"

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for the very quick response. Yes, I tried but the mm input is too low even for the emt 6 platinum, also because of my rellators (82 db) and on the mc you can't exclude the sut. having seen that by lowering the ratio the sound acquires refinement, all I have to do is buy the Ypsilon sut based on my intuition or pray on my knees if the shopkeeper lets me do an audition at home. And as we say, this shopkeeper is "not a saint who sweats"

just try another cartridge then

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing