DAC Recommendations

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Guys:

I am looking to purchase a high quality DAC for my main system. Initially I will use a Squeezebox Touch as a source as I am selling my ModWright Transporter. My plan is to transition into computer audio and I do want the capability to play hirez music.

Thanks,

Ken

The best I've heard is the Playback Designs MPS-5. It sounds better than our DAD AX24 and Meitner converters.

For something less $$... I've heard the Weiss Minerva and Berleley units that do a decent job.

Regards,

Guys:

My mistake by not indicating an upper limit of what I would like to invest in a DAC. I am hopeful I can find something decent for $2500 or less. I have a friend that owns the Weiss Dac II and is very high on the unit. I have another friend that has the PerfectWave DAC by PS Audio and I will have the opportunity to experiement with it in my system.

Thanks,

Ken

I'm in the DAC market too, around the same price range. Am auditioning a Bel Canto DAC 3, and it is very good straight into my ARC amps. Will be listening to other pieces down the road.

I have one of the early ones and it's very good. Top model is supposed to have a better analog output stage.

For $2500, even $1500, you can get a really, really good-sounding DAC. Some things to consider are whether you want to bypass a preamplifier and drive your power amps directly (my preferred approach). For this scenario, the DAC (or interface between the source and the DAC) will need to have a volume and absolute phase control.

My recommendation would be to start out with something in this relatively reasonable price range, and after "learning" from it for a few months, then consider going to the Berkeley Audio Design ($5K) or the Weiss DAC 202 ($6.5K) only if you feel there's something lacking. You may want to check out my lengthy review of the Lavry DA-11 (quite a bargain at $1480), which includes some comments on the Lindemann USB-DDC 24/96 and Weiss INT 202; it's over at www.6moons.com.

Cabling is going to be critical. To my ears, there's only a few cables that sound well; most don't, or at least, sound nowhere nearly as well as the ones that do. And they're all about the same price.

Last edited:
Hi Guys:

Thanks for all of the recommendations. In the way of an update a local dealer has loaned me a PS Audio Prefect Wave DAC to evaluate in my system. I have listened to it in my system for approximately an hour and I am impressed. The lack of background noise, versus the modded Transporter, is extremely pleasant. I will post more comments as I am able to spend more time with it. Another DAC that I am seriously considering is the Tranquility DAC. Folks are raving about its performance especially if it is paired with a Mac Mini!

Ken

I use the Benchmark DAC 1 usb with Squeezebox running AIFF files and an Oppo BDP-83 SE. Pretty good, but the more I compare it to analog, the more it sounds a little cold and glassy. I'm reading some reviews on the new Naim DAC. There is an upgrade path with the power supply. Supposed to have a warm analog sound. Anybody test the Naim DAC. I'd like to know how well it works with Squeezebox and Oppo BDP-83 SE.

I use the Benchmark DAC 1 usb with Squeezebox running AIFF files and an Oppo BDP-83 SE. Pretty good, but the more I compare it to analog, the more it sounds a little cold and glassy. I'm reading some reviews on the new Naim DAC. There is an upgrade path with the power supply. Supposed to have a warm analog sound. Anybody test the Naim DAC. I'd like to know how well it works with Squeezebox and Oppo BDP-83 SE.

John Cook, owner of Black Sand Audio, has owned and evaluated many DACs and he claims the Naim is the an excellent product. At around $4,000 it is more than I want to spend for a DAC but I know it is a company with a excellent reputation.

Ken

Ken,

I hear you on the price. It would take me a while to save up for that, but I'm wondering about the bang for the buck ratio and how much it's going to cost to get that analog warmth in my digital rigs. My preamp is a Cary SLP-98 P that feeds an Ayre V-5xe. Martin Logan Spires and Depth i sub.

Ray

Hi Steve,

I just discovered your new forum. I got a PM from someone on AVS.

Greg

I was wonderin' where you was, Greg.

I've been busy so I haven't had much time for surfing the net.

As for DACs, I've listened to a few of late; I'm thinking about going the music server
route.

Some of the nice DACs I've heard of late are the Berkeley Audio Alpha, the dCS Debussey,
and the Ayre QB-9.

Greg

Hi Guys:

Thanks for all of the recommendations. In the way of an update a local dealer has loaned me a PS Audio Prefect Wave DAC to evaluate in my system. I have listened to it in my system for approximately an hour and I am impressed. The lack of background noise, versus the modded Transporter, is extremely pleasant. I will post more comments as I am able to spend more time with it. Another DAC that I am seriously considering is the Tranquility DAC. Folks are raving about its performance especially if it is paired with a Mac Mini!

Ken

I would be one of those Ravers of the Tranquility DAC, if you join Audio Circle...they give you a discount on it too. I would also try the mhdt labs dac's too. The Ayre is quite nice too, but more expensive. The Ayre worked awesome on my system, but it was a little too $$$.

Good Luck

Mark

I would like to provide an update on my DAC search. I purchased a Mac Mini, installed a SS Drive in it, and a W.D. Fire Wire External H.D. to use as my music server. I also purchased the DB Audio Tranquility DAC and the USB Cable the company also sells. Yesterday, I got everything connected and am happy to report that I very pleased from my initial listening impressions. I must also comment that the customer service of Eric Heider of DB Audio is above top notch. Eric spent an hour on the phone with me yesterday making certain my Mac Mini was optimized to provide the best possible signal quality to the Tranquility DAC. I am excited as Eric claims the sound will continue to improve substantially over the next 100 to 150 hours and I am already happy.

It is nice to have a quality sounding audio system back in my room.

Ken

I would like to provide an update on my DAC search. I purchased a Mac Mini, installed a SS Drive in it, and a W.D. Fire Wire External H.D. to use as my music server. I also purchased the DB Audio Tranquility DAC and the USB Cable the company also sells. Yesterday, I got everything connected and am happy to report that I very pleased from my initial listening impressions. I must also comment that the customer service of Eric Heider of DB Audio is above top notch. Eric spent an hour on the phone with me yesterday making certain my Mac Mini was optimized to provide the best possible signal quality to the Tranquility DAC. I am excited as Eric claims the sound will continue to improve substantially over the next 100 to 150 hours and I am already happy.

It is nice to have a quality sounding audio system back in my room.

Ken
I saw them at the Lone Star Audio Fest, and they were testing/ tweaking various parameters on the Macbook. The room they had sounded Quite NICE !!

Congratulations!!!

Mark

Guys:

Well, I now have approximately 17 hours of time on my new Mac Mini/Tranquility DAC System. I was honestly worried after selling the ModWright Transporter if a device without tubes in the output stage would satisfy me. My fears no longer exist because even with so few hours on the new gear I definitely prefer the sound to what I had with the Transporter. The sound has more clarity without be forward or sterile. The background is blacker, there is no tube hiss and the soundstage is much wider. If I walked into my room blindfolded I would certainly believe I was listening to music played from a quality turn table rather than from a computer. The combination of the Mac Mini with SS Drive, Fire Wire External Hard Drive with Music Files, Tranquility DAC and db Audio Labs USB Cable are definitely staying in my system for some time to come.

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing