DAC recommendations

i know your budget limit is $25k, and you have not mentioned whether your main source will be CD's, SACD's, files or streaming. but for $10k more you can consider the new Wadax Studio Player.....it can do all those things.......and based on the feedback of those who heard it at the Munich show it plays way above it's price point.

here is a WBF thread where it's being discussed.

Reactions: Imperial
Looking for DAC recommendations. Currently have D'Agostino progression on order. Have TAD ME1's and using Rose RS150B. Considering Tambaqi, Esoteric N-01-XD- any others I should consider ? Thank you.
Ok so how does the current Setup sound?
You have Hifi Rose RS150 streamer that sounds a tad forward in soundstage projection and neutral but via your TADs most likely not very authorative and dense. More neutral and detailed I would assume. Most people position such svelte bookshelf models close to the back wall rather than far out into the room.
The Progression integrated, I assume that is what you have is not like the separates in that is more of a smidge softer than its big brothers and will allow for a wider musical variety. Even heavy metal and such IF that is wanted…
Usually High end dacs have a more distant perspective. But Esoteric will be similar to Hifi Rose there. And magical bass power.
Ayon Kronos D/A is also a more forward sounding D/A with a dense and authorative sound, a bit forward in projection. Also the Tambaqui is this but to a lesser degree.
I believe that a Audio Research Dac 9 (you can get those very "cheap" used will be awesome and that is a bass monster, more distant in perspektive also. DCS is also distant but projects very deep images.. (More distant than the RS150..)
The 25k High end dacs do sound sort of the same… They throw deep wide detailed and resolved and have MUCH more low level informative than you are used to hearing...
But some project the soundstage differently as seen between the different companies ...the main difference really..)
Going from a 5 thousand (the sound is of course not that of a 5000 separate but we digress)to a much better dac will be a shocking experience. What ever you go for think: can I grow with it and is there a restrictive universe around it that makes further upgrades limited (or really expensive..)… consider this before choosing

Expensive dac is like: What happened to my walls and my room, and where did my speaker go (they disappear, also you have a really good amp, same effect... its nary and new that stuff. Do you need to spend 25k? No you don't !!
I¨m not gonna suggest anything really other than think universe.
Choose the right one. Choose a company with upgrade (easy path or predictable) and long term support...

Last edited:
i know your budget limit is $25k, and you have not mentioned whether your main source will be CD's, SACD's, files or streaming. but for $10k more you can consider the new Wadax Studio Player.....it can do all those things.......and based on the feedback of those who heard it at the Munich show it plays way above it's price point.

here is a WBF thread where it's being discussed.
Unfortunately the wadax is 40,000

Áries cerat Helene or Kassandra no questions

DAC's are really a personal preference so you will definitely want to listen before buying. I have listened to Emm labs for the past 20 years in various forms and find they suit my tastes. They have a less expensive line Meitner, which is much lower priced but have 95% of the performance of the Emm labs. Definitely worth a listen. Best of luck n your search.

Don't you people read the post. He can't spend over 30,000.00.
USA list prices in the 'up to $40k' range = out of pocket 'in the low $30k range'. this is, of course, hard to predict. and when he says $30,000.....he may really be saying under $25k net cash. so these issues are fluid.

and in the case of the Wadax Studio Player; it does not require a server, expensive USB, or a transport. just a NAS and you have it all covered. so that might change the equation too.

Last edited:
Wadax, at Munich stated that the wadax player stack was priced in may 2024 at 90k USD.
Player + Clock + PSU = 90 thousand.
The player by it self was 39800 USD.
The standalone Dac might be then less than 39800 obviously. But no mention of price on that one. And most likely a later arrival.
It remains to be seen as in posts on WBF Wadax seems to imply that modules (additions, selectable) are in the worx. So base pricing obviously..
One can assume that the PSU is a 2-3 umbilical affair able to add (section) power to the other stack units. I assume so.

Last edited:
Wadax, at Munich stated that the wadax player stack was priced in may 2024 at 90k USD.
Player + Clock + PSU = 90 thousand.
The player by it self was 39800 USD.
The standalone Dac might be then less than 39800 obviously. But no mention of price on that one. And most likely a later arrival.
It remains to be seen as in posts on WBF Wadax seems to imply that modules (additions, selectable) are in the worx. So base pricing obviously..
One can assume that the PSU is a 2-3 umbilical affair able to add (section) power to the other stack units. I assume so.
The Munich videos showed only the Player (complete system comprised of speakers, amp and player), which was all the visitors to the room reported. By all accounts the Player was an exceptional performer. IIRC the PS and the Clock were advertised as optional future enhancements.

Consider listening to the Aries Cerat Helene or Kassandra as well. These DACs are highly musical and can compete with more expensive units effectively.

Reactions: Imperial
Consider listening to the Aries Cerat Helene or Kassandra as well. These DACs are highly musical and can compete with more expensive units effectively.
As a somewhat fun fact about the Helene (and kassandra) is that you can adjust the bias of the output stage from 180 to 290 (standard is 230) and thusly change the sonic signature by doing this. (Take of top panel twist knob that down and to the left of digital read out) You don't see that very often in a tube dac do you now.. (number on internal dig panel... )
10 000h expected on the gain tubes. E280F/***** You can tube roll also.
Aries Cerat has said that bias settings range is possible like this:
E280F, Siemens, Mullard,Phillips, Tele -200/-280 1~10 (Siemens is standard in Helene...)
E180F Mullard Phillips, -170/250 1~5
E810F Siemens, Phillips, Mullard -220/-330 1-8
6j11p Russian various -190/-300 1-8 !
D3A Siemens -180/-270 1-4

Above is copied from this post by Aries cerat -about Kassandra, but still. Shows what can be done

Very fun tech indeed.

Last edited:
Don't you people read the post. He can't spend over 30,000.00.
Do you understand these are both under $30k ? Helene is retail and Kassandra can be bought smartly

Best IDK and I suspect that is the only honest answer. I CAN say my Audiomirror utterly blew away the DAC inside my $30K Goldmund 590. For $7,500 you get tube rectification and output, no caps in signal path and a sound that varies so much with each recording that I have to suspect it has very little sound of it's own. No classsic tube flaws- tight "as a drum" with tonal, well controlled bass and probably most important incredible musical drive- it sounds like a 500 pound Linn turntable. I am very picky but now I am very very happy. It responds very well to good footers; in my case Carbide Base. It just sings! The only thing I would consider going forward would be another Audiomirror if a reference level DAC is ever attempted.
Jeff gald to see the AM tubadour V getting some love. I am at a two week break in...and am very pleased with what I am hearing. Very natural...with a wide sound stage...a lot of separation. And a pleasure to deal with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing