dCS new flagship

When I was told years ago that they couldn’t fix my transport because they had no back-up lasers this company lost all its charm for me. When I got a Nagra cd player after this, I also realized I had been listening to sterile digital for years. Lessons learned: no more dDS for me ever again.
I recently purchased a CD player/DAC. The CD mechanism has a 5-10 year life. I decided to purchase an extra CD mechanism from the manufacturer so I should be good for a while.

@Elliot G.
Any idea how many you think they have to sell?

How do you think this new flagship will impact the lower dollar products.
Rex , I have no idea. I could not even guess as to he amount of time and money they invested to bring the product to market , nor their company overhead. I don't manufacture anything and I did not stay in a holiday inn last night :)
I also have no idea on their profit margin. One would need to know all these numbers and more to make an accurate guess.

Nagra. Cd player was 20 years old and had a new laser 2 years ago. Real enough for you ;) ?
Basic issue is that dCS's transports (and replacement parts I assume) were supplied by Esoteric who has discontinued this policy. In addition, M&S, another major transport manufacturer for several hi end companies has recently discontinued (as of July 1) their supply operation.

Last edited:
I wonder what really is the core? Is it a music server type if thing? So can you use the core standalone with a I/0 module with a Vivaldi DAC? And is there sound benefits? Is the upsampling technology in the core now? It's core is a big box so something is in there....
You know as much as anyone else at this stage however from what I’ve discussed with my dealer and looking at their brochure the “Core is the heart of the Varèse Music System. This technological powerhouse supports most hi-res formats and major streaming services. It handles a multitude of operations, from audio input to the conversion, noise shaping and filtering stages carried out before signals are output to the Varèse Mono DACs. The first dCS product of its kind, it utilises our novel ACTUS protocol to radically simplify setup whilst taking sonic and measured performance to new heights”.

The Core includes the (Remote Control) and “User Interface that works in tandem with the Varèse Remote Control and dCS Mosaic ACTUS app to deliver a rich and engaging playback experience. Its full-colour touch screen displays full album art plus detailed track data, play queues and other settings, allowing you to view more information at a glance. Display modes and visible information can be tailored to suit your preferences, with customisable views, adjustable text size settings and optional dark mode. The User Interface connects with the Varèse Remote Control via Bluetooth LE. It also enables compatibility and integration with UPnP control point renderers and servers”.

As far as I know, existing Vivaldi/Rossini owners can only connect to the Varèse using their CD/SACD players to the Core expansion I/O module. The Vivaldi/Rossini DACS cannot be connected to the Varèse.

The Varèse clock is optional. The Actus cable appears to have Lemo connectors.

Best Sir

Bob

Attachments

• IO Expansion Module.jpeg
    IO Expansion Module.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6271.JPG
    IMG_6271.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6270.JPG
    IMG_6270.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 3
  • App.jpg
    App.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 3
You know as much as anyone else at this stage however from what I’ve discussed with my dealer and looking at their brochure the “Core is the heart of the Varèse Music System. This technological powerhouse supports most hi-res formats and major streaming services. It handles a multitude of operations, from audio input to the conversion, noise shaping and filtering stages carried out before signals are output to the Varèse Mono DACs. The first dCS product of its kind, it utilises our novel ACTUS protocol to radically simplify setup whilst taking sonic and measured performance to new heights”.

The Core includes the (Remote Control) and “User Interface that works in tandem with the Varèse Remote Control and dCS Mosaic ACTUS app to deliver a rich and engaging playback experience. Its full-colour touch screen displays full album art plus detailed track data, play queues and other settings, allowing you to view more information at a glance. Display modes and visible information can be tailored to suit your preferences, with customisable views, adjustable text size settings and optional dark mode. The User Interface connects with the Varèse Remote Control via Bluetooth LE. It also enables compatibility and integration with UPnP control point renderers and servers”.

As far as I know, existing Vivaldi/Rossini owners can only connect to the Varèse using their CD/SACD players to the Core expansion I/O module. The Vivaldi/Rossini DACS cannot be connected to the Varèse.

The Varèse clock is optional. The Actus cable appears to have Lemo connectors.

Best Sir

Bob
Thanks very interesting.

From the I/O picture. Those sure look like inputs. USB, AES, Dual AES (for Vivaldi SACD off Transport), S/DIF. But why are they calling it a I/O board? vs an input board? If it can output dual AES, then a Vivaldi DAC could be used theoretically until you saved up for the mono dacs. Hard to say...just thinking out loud...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing