DCS Varese

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I was unable to attend Friday nights Paragon Global Varese release event but I did get about 90 minutes on my own with the system on Saturday. For the first hour I had the room to myself. I then spent the next 45 minutes listening and talking with Larry the owner of Paragon and David Steven of dCS about the new product.

The system had both a Vivaldi and the Verse connected to a D’Agostino Relentless Pre to allow me to A/B the units. the Relentless pre sent the signal to Relentless amp’s which were powering Wilson Chronosonics. During my session I chose tracks I knew from Tidals catalog.

In the first two minutes and even before A/B’ing it with the Vivaldi, I knew there was something special with the Verse. Everything sounded better. From staging, weight, vocals, placement of instruments, it all sounded right and natural. The longer I listened the more I came to appreciate its overall presentation.

That new display is really nice and with an upcoming software update it will allow you rotate thru and display just about everything you can see in the new Mosaic App.

One small issue for those who thought you might be able to only purchase the Core and DAC’s to start off then add the clock and display module later, that is currently not possible. The Varese currently cannot function as a headless unit… Too many processes are handled by the display unit. Of course for those who can afford this product that is not a concern.

Amazing product. Amazing digital.

Great to read first soundings of the new Varese. Given that you have the magnificent Vivaldi Apex...are you tempted?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu