Dereneville DAE 01 CL

n+1

Jan 4, 2023
did you check wow&flutter with this motor on La Platine Verdier? how does it compare to original Philips motor? the original Philips motor is very good actually. a very well set up and maintained Verdier with original Philips motor has the best wow&flutter results I have ever tested and I have tested a lot. better than best sme, techdas, davinci, j. sikora, kronos pro, new-much praised technics or old direct drives. I wonder if Dereneville motor brought any improvements in terms of W&F.

it's a common belief that a simple 70's DD deck can easily beat even the best belt drives but no. they're good but not excellent. IME they don't measure as good as a good belt drive.
I use an original Verdier motor with my La Platine Verdier. I can confirm what you say about that Philips motor. The speed is stable with the best w/f readings of any of the other motors I use or have used.

Reactions: mtemur

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
mtemur and n+1, which string or belt do you use with your Verdier and original motor? I think, that if you use a very elastic string, the w/f that you measure is not because of a good motor, but because of the high mass and inertia of the platter. The elastic string will compensate any motor irregularities.
Of course after all you need a good complete system, and in this case it is fine.

But if you really want to test the quality of the motor alone (and not the whole system), you need some rigid belt or tape drive. In that case the measured w/f will be really the result (mainly) of the motor.

And another question please: how to do measure w/f?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
mtemur and n+1, which string or belt do you use with your Verdier and original motor? I think, that if you use a very elastic string, the w/f that you measure is not because of a good motor, but because of the high mass and inertia of the platter. The elastic string will compensate any motor irregularities.
Of course after all you need a good complete system, and in this case it is fine.

But if you really want to test the quality of the motor alone (and not the whole system), you need some rigid belt or tape drive. In that case the measured w/f will be really the result (mainly) of the motor.

And another question please: how to do measure w/f?
I check w&f with iphone apps and measure it with computer software such as wfgui and AM. Unfortunately 70’s or 80’ standalone equipment is very primitive by measuring maybe less than a second. I only care about AES standard.

You are right about high mass platter’s positive effect on w&f but it’s not only because of that. Good w&f performance is a total result of high mass platter, bearing clearance, oil viscosity, relatively low power motor and more importantly magnetic levitation. Magnetic levitation zeros high mass platter’s weight. So there is no load on inverted bearing but motor still has to turn the same high mass. Both are good for better w&f performance.

Another important factor is basic power supply design. It doesn’t have an encoder to report actual platter speed and no feedback circuit to readjust it accordingly. Power supply has a regulator and sends steady DC (5V AFAIK) to motor but you have to adjust speed manually everyday you start listening. It’s not effected by line voltage changes but viscosity of oil in the bearing changes depending on the temperature so the load on motor changes too. BTW the change during 4 hours of constant use is low and negligible.

Regarding the benefits like ease of flow and great dynamics I’m happy to adjust speed everyday. It takes 30 seconds.

As a result we can not say that only the motor is responsible for good w&f performance it’s the result of whole design approach.

IMHO vinyl playback requires to be a little deep in hi-fi hobby and using La Platine Verdier requires to be even deeper, more like a diy hobbyists. It’s not a plug and play turntable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Birdwatcher

n+1

Jan 4, 2023
My home testing probably doesn't stand up to rigorous standards, and yet I prefer the sound of the Verdier motor over the two other 21st century motors I own. When I compare the three motors using a range of different belts - keeping everything else the same - the Verdier ALWAYS has better speed stability and w/f results. The springiness of the belt doesn't seem to be a factor. FWIW.

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing