DIRAC Target Curves

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
I don't know if anyone would find these valuable, but there must be at least a few folks who would find these useful. Maybe even revelatory.

These are target curve files to be used during filter creation in the DIRAC and DIRAC live process. There are files for DIRAC 1.* and DIRAC 2.*

Some things are experimental, and I've tried to mark them as such, others brand named standards or are offered on Support sites for various processors with DIRAC implementations.

The sub folders have more to do with which hardware manufacturer I was working on rather than as a mater of compatibility.

There's DIRAC version one, which uses .txt files.

There's DIRAC version two, which uses .targetcurve files. I have the same set points in both formats if I have found them useful.

Why not just use the default target curve or press the button for an "Auto" target curve? Because that's not how to get the best result. The target curve tells DIRAC what you want out of your speakers. You can tweak them to taste or create different versions to try to address specific problems in particular speakers / locations.

Disclaimer: None of the brand names should be taken too literally with any of these files. Some of these I created from publications going back to the 50's for early lab measurements. I may have tweaked some of the numbers for my taste. These files are provided by me, personally, for free. You get what you pay for. These should be treated as public domain, open source. If there's an objection to use of a particular name, I'll be happy to change it and re-upload.

Maybe try matching your brand of processor to a folder or file name to start with, but any target curve is compatible with any processor. These numbers are just EQ settings. The only compatibility issue is the file format depending on your DIRAC version.

I hope some of my work can be beneficial to others.

***WARNING*** ok, that's maybe a bit too much, but if I have a chance to get your attention... Please do not upgrade your firmware from DIRAC v1 to 2 just because it's newer. I've got one that I upgraded, a Minidsp 2x4HD and I might switch back to v1. Your millage my vary. We have different setups, different rooms. For me, I didn't have the same visceral impact. Take frequent backups of your work. Know that installing new versions of applications may make it difficult to find your previous work. (Is it in Documents or App data / roaming / OEM?!?).

Feel free to ask questions, I check this forum several times per decade.

Attachments

• DIRACTargetCurves05012020.zip
    18.6 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: Coach Kaarlo

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Interesting topic.

While I most certainly understand that there could be target curve differences between speaker A (e.g. Wisdom) and speaker B (e.g. JBL), I struggle mightily of why there would be differences based on the platform on which Dirac runs. While there MAY be subtle sonic differences in two hardware platforms, none of those differences would be of such magnitude that it could be measured and fixed with Dirac.

Secondly, a target curve without additional context is not overly useful. It ignores some critical elements: (1) personal preference; (2) the speakers used, and (3) the room. Any initial target curve should be considered "a starting point" at best.

When I calibrate a room, I do start off with two very generic target curves (one for music and one for movies), and then, based upon MY measurements (not those of the room correction system) and MY ears, I adjust accordingly.

One of the beauties of Dirac (at least on some platforms) and systems like the Trinnov, is the ability to use PEQs prior to running Dirac, etc. Determined and applied correctly, USUALLY much better results can be obtained than if ONLY using Dirac, etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing