Do Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Re-issues Have a Digital Step in the Process?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
And yet only on Steve Hoffman's forum is there any traction and that is wanning. The Washington Post wrote the article to convince people audiophiles are nut jobs. Easy to file law suits, a bigger company would have won the case at the cost of large legal bills.
I don't think so. On the contrary the reaction from audiophiles already made MOFI regret. What else should have happened to call it a significant reaction in your terms? Discussing this issue on prime time by all major channels , calling UN for emergency assembly, sending MOFI executives to prison, exterminating analog to digital converters used by MOFI? what else?

Last edited:

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
Mere speculation at best. The fact is MoFI deceived the public, got caught, and now has to pay up.

Nope just good legal research. The bigger companies get away with far more and have the cases dismissed. MoFi will pay less to settle than say Trader Joe's did to win a honey case.

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
I don't think so. On the contrary the reaction from audiophiles already made MOFI regret. What else should have happened to call it a significant reaction in your terms? All major channels discuss this issue on prime time, UN calls for emergency assembly, send MOFI executives to prison, exterminate analog to digital converters used by MOFI? what else?

That's easy more than what I did to stop MQA.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Nope just good legal research. The bigger companies get away with far more and have the cases dismissed.

It's till speculation on your part that in this specific case they simply would have won.They were deceitful, but after getting caught were smart enough to get themselves a couple of interviews with the two big audio rags who's interviewers tossed up softball questions , and then provided yea buts about the quality of the albums. So maybe you're right but who knows.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Nope just good legal research. The bigger companies get away with far more and have the cases dismissed. MoFi will pay less to settle than say Trader Joe's did to win a honey case.

Nope, good legal research would tell you that MoFI should have told the truth in the first place. That way they wouldn’t be in the mess that they created.

While it is true that Big Companies often have Big Attorneys that can get them off, sooner or later even they will pay as the loss of integrity is difficult to earn back. Once you lose integrity many won’t deal with them again. That’s how I feel about MoFi and Music Direct - never again!

Reactions: facten

jwhite613

Feb 3, 2012
New Mexico
Kind of happy I only bought a copy of Night Fly and sold it pretty much right away. I just didn’t think it sounded all that great for the price.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I think MoFi has been offering refunds to those who bought directly from MoFi or Music Direct. The terms of the this settlement don't seem very harsh from MoFi's perspective, so they negotiated a mild settlement and are putting it in motion in this case. It will probably be a precedent for the other pending cases- to my recollection there are three more, at least two of which are in N.D. Ill. I'm not expressing any view on the merits. I do think the whole episode damaged MoFi's credibility to a segment of their market, at least based on the anecdotals from the Hoffman forum. I lost count of the number of pages and posts, but wasn't the thread well over 1500 pages-?
I also think a lot of the legacy press didn't do themselves any favors when they urged people to continue to buy MoFi- Valin even suggested that people owed it to MoFi to continue to buy their product. I'm not gonna pick on Fremer b/c I think he got jammed on this by MoFi, and though he was pretty nasty about Mike the Record Store Dude, Fremer calmed down.
The funniest part of this was all the key players were named Mike!
No animus here, cause it's not the stuff I buy-- I'll try a few from Chad and MoFi, but not usually part of my diet. I do have a fair number of old MoFi that I don't really listen to, along with almost all my "audiophile" records from back in the day.

Reactions: bonzo75

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Once you lose integrity many won’t deal with them again. That’s how I feel about MoFi and Music Direct - never again!
I Feel the same way. I used to buy from Music Direct but not after seeing posts by former employees about the owner keeping the first 99 or so pressings of each for resale on secondary market. A shame Andrew Jones is designing for for such a damaged brand. I’d like to see them sell the speaker business to Andrew and rebrand it just have MD distribute them. Any new speaker brand is an uphill battle, and then add on an inherent distrust of the company... I have to think about what to do with my stack of one steps, aside from the analog Bill Evans.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I have to think about what to do with my stack of one steps, aside from the analog Bill Evans.
I’ll take them off your hands if you are dumping them for nothing ;).
This whole issue, as we say in England “making a mountain out of a mole hill” or "a storm in a teacup"

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
How is selling me an analog LP then the rest of the series being digital making a mountain? Once something it digitized, why would I want to include all the limitations imposed with cutting an LP, instead of decoding it on my end, with ever evolving DACs.

If Mofi truly believed in their process they would have been upfront about it instead of lying, sending people emails about their process being analog.

Can I sell you Kobe beef then substitute Kobe-style beef without disclosing the fact. Hey it’s still beef?

Reactions: facten and Audire

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Just the same question I have asked before, you bought them because they sounded good to you and I take it you have had them for years and enjoyed them? What has now changed for you not to like them anymore? Could it be because you have now found out they are not what you thought they were? Has the sound you heard and loved suddenly changed or do they still sound the same as they did in the past when you loved them?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Just the same question I have asked before, you bought them because they sounded good to you and I take it you have had them for years and enjoyed them? What has now changed for you not to like them anymore? Could it be because you have now found out they are not what you thought they were? Has the sound you heard and loved suddenly changed or do they still sound the same as they did in the past when you loved them?

Who cares about MoFI vinyl. It’s the deceptions, the lies. Some people don’t like lying manufactures. Some prefer not to do business with them or own products made by them.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Apparently you do Audire, you keep whining about them. If you don't care about them don't buy their products, simple.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
@TooCool4 since when do you get to listen to an LP before buying it? We’re buying on reputation.

I heard the Bill Evans when it came out and liked it, then made the mistake of assuming the rest would be as good. Several I bought while my phono cart was away for 6 months while being worked on at Soundsmith, and some while away from home for a year. I also heard one steps I wasn’t so impressed with, but bought others thinking they’d be better quality. Luckily some are still sealed so should be easier to get rid of.

The reason I bought without questioning was that they were selling out quickly after release and becoming more expensive on the second hand market.

When I would call Music Direct to pre order titles, the order taker was pushing me to order extra copies (which I didn’t)
I have a pretty nice analog set up (modest for some here- lol) and felt like I was being foolish for having it and not having what was being touted as the best LP’s possible.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Apparently you do Audire, you keep whining about them. If you don't care about them don't buy their products, simple.
I don’t. I haven’t purchased anything from them in a long time. And I gave away the ones that I had purchased. I no longer purchase from Music Direct either. If you read further up in these posts, you’ll see that I’ve already stated all this before.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Avidlistener so basically FOMO made you buy them, sorry but more fool you and I am not being nasty or calling you names. I never buy music I don’t like or not going to listen to, I don’t care if there are audiophile recordings and everyone thinks there are the best thing since slice bread.
For me it’s all about the music, I only buy what I am going to listen to.

Yes not a lot of places you can listen to records before you buy these days, but you can take them back.
I bought a double LP the other day, got it home and played a side and a half. It was terrible, I returned it the following day.
When I returned it, the guy said did I not like the music I said I loved the music but the recording was terrible. I got my money back.

If some of your records are still sealed, how do you know they don’t sound good?

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I don’t. I haven’t purchased anything from them in a long time. And I gave away the ones that I had purchased. I no longer purchase from Music Direct either. If you read further up in these posts, you’ll see that I’ve already stated all this before.
Good for you, problem solved.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I’ll take them off your hands if you are dumping them for nothing ;).
This whole issue, as we say in England “making a mountain out of a mole hill” or "a storm in a teacup"

Audiophile pride, dear TooCool4. Mofi has shown openly to the audiophile community that under absence of knowledge a digital link can sound great. They should be punished for it! ;)

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Audiophile pride, dear TooCool4. Mofi has shown openly to the audiophile community that under absence of knowledge a digital link can sound great. They should be punished for it! ;)

Do the crime and do the time. MoFi proved to the audiophile community that they were willing to defraud them to make $$$$. And after being caught, they have in essence admitted such both in their responses on their website and now in a settlement.

PS: There are some in this thread that noticed a difference and stopped buying MoFI before the scandal. Perhaps you should refresh your memory by rereading the thread.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Do the crime and do the time. MoFi proved to the audiophile community that they were willing to defraud them to make $$$$. And after being caught, they have in essence admitted such both in their responses on their website and now in a settlement.

Yes, we all agree on this aspect.

PS: There are some in this thread that noticed a difference and stopped buying MoFI before the scandal. Perhaps you should refresh your memory by rereading the thread.

Yes, there were people who did not like the MoFi re-issues. The same way some disliked many analog re-issues. But the great majority of the famous vinyl golden years enjoyed and praised them. Until the scandal no one came in public saying firmly they could identify the digital link. And the system has been in use for long years and audio forums also exist since long.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing