Do Tubes Homogenize the Sound of Our Music?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
just to make clear:
I didn´t dispose of TAD 2002 to save money
It was part of a strategy to simplify system and get more "pointsource" soundstage
but it took some 3 years from design start to finished CD horn to make the TAD 4003 perform as desired from 600-20K with even frequency response over 85x45 degrees and no more head in a vice sweetspot sound
I never even thought about it to be to safe money for you.
After all, you already own the TAD 2002 :D
But it IS a nice side-effect that you don't need an expensive TAD 2002 anymore in your new design ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Maybe that’s why universum crosses over at 3500 to the upper driver
Do they?
Are you sure?
I "thought" they cross over (quite a lot) higher than that at around 6 kHz

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do they?
Are you sure?
I "thought" they cross over (quite a lot) higher than that at around 6 kHz

that’s what someone told me pre pandemic. I don’t know how he knows

Reactions: christoph

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Anyway, that Universum sounds ill fated and is a rotten design from the core. Woofers in plastic enclosure (I know, it's a design piece!) and beaming downwards to the floor, brilliant idea IMHO.:cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
just to make clear:
I didn´t dispose of TAD 2002 to save money
It was part of a strategy to simplify system and get more "pointsource" soundstage
but it took some 3 years from design start to finished CD horn to make the TAD 4003 perform as desired from 600-20K with even frequency response over 85x45 degrees and no more head in a vice sweetspot sound
after having rid of the JMLC I also confirmed a suspicion I had for a LONG TIME.......the JMLC profile acccentuated a range around 2-4K which is hard to detect until you get rid of it....
also the crossover benefits from being simpler
same parts used so no signature change there
Hello Leif

Is there a thread that covers your speakers, where it would be more appropriate to ask further question than in this thread?
I would love to know more about your speakers :eek:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hello Leif

Is there a thread that covers your speakers, where it would be more appropriate to ask further question than in this thread?
Christoph … there is quite a lot of information contained within this blog entry from Kedar , It is an excellent article , however please be aware that the configuration has moved on a tad since the last entry

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: Argonaut

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: mtemur and Argonaut

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Thanks for sharing, great sound. Would like to swap tweeters for WE 597A ( replica), because they sound too dominant. Very homogenic sound, good bass.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Hello Leif

hi C
sry no
I much prefer to work on the system, rather than commiting myself to writing about it.......
best
L

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Leif

You can also read the journey across years on the Nordic forum using translate. I did

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
so why bring it out in comparisons? And as far as your remark, I am hearing more of them in room then you guys, and phones do extremely well

Edit: not interested in revisiting phone video conversations.
Hello Bonzo, interesting view that is being launched here to only base opinions on mobile phones!
To avoid further discards, would you care sharing with us which phones you deem worthy to use, possibly which recording app to use or not, etc?
oh, and before I forget, can you also mention if it should better be in portrait or landscape?

Note to others, at the 2019 Munich show, bonzo came to the AC room with his goody bag of vinyl. Very shortly after entering, he asked Stavros to put up his record. As a new record was put up just before Bonzo entering the room, Stavros didn’t want to do that immediately and told that he would after the current record ended. The reaction was that Bonzo immediately left the room, visibly unhappy, was it because he found not to be treated the way he that he was due…? He did not to return to the room to my knowledge.

Reactions: morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Bonzo, interesting view that is being launched here to only base opinions on mobile phones!
To avoid further discards, would you care sharing with us which phones you deem worthy to use, possibly which recording app to use or not, etc?
oh, and before I forget, can you also mention if it should better be in portrait or landscape?

Note to others, at the 2019 Munich show, bonzo came to the AC room with his goody bag of vinyl. Very shortly after entering, he asked Stavros to put up his record. As a new record was put up just before Bonzo entering the room, Stavros didn’t want to do that immediately and told that he would after the current record ended. The reaction was that Bonzo immediately left the room, visibly unhappy, was it because he found not to be treated the way he that he was due…? He did not to return to the room to my knowledge.

This is not correct. that was earlier when the Vyger was in AC room either 2017. Brad was in the room listening to Telegraph Road with a group of friends. Sorry, but someone has to wait for a 14:15 second song for that? I come to Munich for 2 days and in any room I don’t get a chance, I move along given I seldom use Munich in my own assessment for any gear, I will hear it outside any way if I want to.

in 2019 or 18 I heard the AC room with the Rue de Borgis table and a few records

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: morricab

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I like classical music from Baroque to Shostakovich. What type of speaker should I buy? Let's say my budget is $70k.
Type of of horn: Dynamikks Athos 10, Dynamic type with most natural mid range:Kharma DB-11S, Magnetic Planar: Eminent Technology 8C (new model for 2022) coupled with new reference REL woofers just amazing`!

Last edited:

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Umm…back to the original thread of whether tubes “homogenize” the sound of music. I’d have to say it depends on the tube. I have come to the reluctant conclusion that, much as I like the sound of Western Electric 300B tubes, they do tend to homogenize music, imparting a luxuriant sheen on everything that passes through them, Granted, this is not an entirely a bad thing. Most recordings are appalling drecks. A little second harmonic enrichment is not bad. But for those who want the unvarnished truth, whatever that might mean, one must look elsewhere.

My current favorite output power tube, for those who seek the unvarnished truth, is the glorious 10th anniversary Emission Labs 45 tube. Thing thing is so transparent that I can literally count the rivets on a drum kit. On massed choral music, I hear individual singers like never before, when they sing in tune, and when they are off tune, when they go out of breath, when they exhale. Not everyone wants to take a microscope to their music. But if you do, and 2 watts is enough to drive your speakers, and what glorious watts they are, I present your salvation. But they’re not available, so you’ll have to scrounge a bit. Not as pricey yet as WE 300B NOS, but they might get there. I’ve been assured they’re reliable.

One reason is that this tube is made uniquely so that the tube elements inside are “floating”, and impervious to the usual microphonics. But the manufacturer wants the tubes are fragile and subject to shipping damage if carelessly handled. Caveat emptor.

Attachments

• 3E093AEC-CF45-42E8-AE7F-8248A7839891.jpeg
    3E093AEC-CF45-42E8-AE7F-8248A7839891.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing