Do Tubes Homogenize the Sound of Our Music?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Here's another audio fair video, which fulfills my criteria for good sound. And voila, the same domesticated, fast and ultra precise bass that is quite the opposite of the Universum Horns speaker. Another proof that excellent tube amp- horn speaker combinations can sound as superior as transistor amps. But unfortunately, the Horns Universum audio system can't deliver this quality. Despite of it's price, it's just a mediocre sounding system.
It seems to be made with a mobile phone but has a very good sound, too.
Is it a fake, maybe a deep fake video? Youtube won't tell us.
Walter, with domesticated bass, do you mean tame and housebroken ? ;)

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
The translator will give "tamed" as another expression for domesticated.
The opposite is the Universum bass, it has no clear boundaries, often dominates the music and exceeds a natural level, It's bloated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Peter, Occasionally Moiz will publish an audio recording that he has taken of the live event utilising a still image taken from said event in the upload,

I quite understand your query ! considering the exceptional levels of fidelity emanating from recordings of the Aries Cerat systems.

Occasionally he will also post a video which on face value might look like a still , however as per the following vid one can discern movement in the reflected surface of the AC electronics

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Here is a question which I hope is not too skeptical or insensitive: If the video shows a still photo as the first Aries Ceret, (or is it a camera on a tripod) how do we actually know the sound is of the system rather than just a digital file? I'm not suggesting the AC video is not the sound of the system, but on a different thread, a video was shared that claims to be a digital capture of a vinyl source playing straight into the recorder with no room, amp, or speaker influence. How do we even know it is that and not just a digital file?

Sorry if this is off topic. I am just curious. It seems if we are using videos to support arguments, we should know what we are actually listening to. I am also not saying that they all have to be iPhone videos for comparison. Better quality is nice too.
It is a video of the system…I was there when it was made.

Reactions: Walter66 and PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is a video of the system…I was there when it was made.

you should have then taken mobile phone videos to give people a comparative listen of how that recorder and mobile differs

Reactions: PeterA

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
you should have then taken mobile phone videos to give people a comparative listen of how that recorder and mobile differs
Why? You care about this, I don’t… The sound in this room was exceptional as the videos show.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why? You care about this, I don’t… The sound in this room was exceptional as the videos show.

No sophisticated video jugglery shows nothing.

Just take simple mobile videos playing classical next time, please. Shouldn’t be difficult and not worth debating just post them

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They do not let you understand the equipment at all. They sound great if your objective is to listen to youtube, but then why would you want to listen to audio equipment videos, just play live music videos or the ones where LP was recorded directly from the phono using Tascam. Those have awesome sound.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
They do not let you understand the equipment at all. They sound great if your objective is to listen to youtube, but then why would you want to listen to audio equipment videos, just play live music videos or the ones where LP was recorded directly from the phono using Tascam. Those have awesome sound.
Next time go yourself and make the recording! Your argument makes no sense whatsoever. You can hear better the quality of the system if recorded on something better than a phone. I can tell you, having been there , that the recording is not too far off what was heard live. This may or may not be true with a lower quality recorder like a phone. You just want it because all yours are that way…

Reactions: KeithR and Walter66

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, Occasionally Moiz will publish an audio recording that he has taken of the live event utilising a still image taken from said event in the upload,

I quite understand your query ! considering the exceptional levels of fidelity emanating from recordings of the Aries Cerat systems.

Moon, my comments have nothing to do with the sound quality of the Aries Cerat videos or the equipment. That is not the point. I was simply trying to understand how they are made and if they are of the system or some thing else.

I agree with Bonzo. If all you’re trying to do is look at pictures of expensive systems or listen to digital music over the Internet, YouTube is good for that. My interest is trying to understand what system sound like when I can’t hear them in person, and how they sound relative to other systems to support points of view in a discussion. For that purpose, phone videos are an adequate and useful tool.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Peter … I recognise the points of your argument, however I really fail to understand the validity of them .
Are we to only publish recordings that are taken *live* of a system only to have them dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Perhaps we should have tied Usain Bolts shoe laces together.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Peter … I recognise the points of your argument, however I really fail to understand the validity of them .
Are we to only publish recordings that are taken *live* of a system only to have them dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Perhaps we should have tied Usain Bolts shoe laces together.

"Common denominator" is the important phrase - the same way as we cannot have in person demos of all, else we would. We bring it to a common denominator. And even then, some tools better than the mobile, e.g. the Sony camcorder give a feel that makes it easier to extrapolate in-room. Try videos from superhiend.

Moiz's videos seem more sophisticated processing and sound great but do not give any in room feel.

Usain Bolt's shoe lace tying is fine, but more accurate analogy is if we had videos of Peter, you, me, running in real time, and morricab's walk done at 10x the speed to show him running faster.

Reactions: PeterA

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
A mobile Phone Video is simply Not adequate For the best recordings. It never was. But some give relative good Sound and Expression, thankfully. Mine unfortunately (Poco F3) sounds Just awfull and therefore I Understand every professional who has a Higher approach in reaching better results. They will use better Equipment For representative documentations of their Sound.

Reactions: KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We don’t need to debate. Those Moiz videos can simply be done on mobile to show the difference

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
"Common denominator" is the important phrase - the same way as we cannot have in person demos of all, else we would. We bring it to a common denominator. And even then, some tools better than the mobile, e.g. the Sony camcorder give a feel that makes it easier to extrapolate in-room. Try videos from superhiend.

Moiz's videos seem more sophisticated processing and sound great but do not give any in room feel.

Usain Bolt's shoe lace tying is fine, but more accurate analogy is if we had videos of Peter, you, me, running in real time, and morricab's walk done at 10x the speed to show him running faster.
What do you mean Moiz’s recordings seem more sophisticated? He uses better recording equipment but they are absolutely in room and reflect much better the sound of that system in that room. I have been in the room with him when he is recording.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Because we aren’t obsessed like you with comparisons. Sometimes people just want to hear what’s it sounds like in their room. And quite frankly, phones don’t do that well.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Because we aren’t obsessed like you with comparisons. Sometimes people just want to hear what’s it sounds like in their room. And quite frankly, phones don’t do that well.

so why bring it out in comparisons? And as far as your remark, I am hearing more of them in room then you guys, and phones do extremely well

Edit: not interested in revisiting phone video conversations.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
So ... maybe start another clickbait thread:
Do iphones homogenize the sound of reproduced music?

I think videos are fine for getting a general sense of how a system or piece of music sounds. I've learned from videos posted here. The listener's video playback is important too.

Comparing video sound becomes more challenging if the recording devices and/or recording methods are different for two already different systems -- and leads to more wrangling as we find here. This is not about differences in quality - we acknowledge different recording devices/methods don't yield the same quality. But for comparison, the fewer non-stereo-system variables involved the more reasonable is the comparison.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing