Do you use vinyl specific for investmenet?

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
when i observe the price development at discogs etc , eg. see below , bought for 200 euro new still sealed . it seems to be better investment as at actual stock market. that only counts most for limited edition, sure.....
....is it an option for additional security in old age?. ..
anybody out there with simuliar thoughts?..

1675571224604.png

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
no.

don't confuse asking price with value (i do have that box set you list.....which i did encourage many here to buy). and selling records is work. yes; there are opportunities, but most who have assembled collections don't have the mental energy to effectively sell them one by one. a few do. but it's a separate thing from loving vinyl and collecting. i buy a record to advance my enjoyment of the hobby.

i don't have as many really expensive pressings as some, but more than others. it's fun to see a big value on a record i own, but i'm not thinking i should sell it. in 30 years i've sold 2 or 3 records to friends who saw it and wanted it. sold a hand full of tapes the same way. and those i mostly regret.

my perspective is that likely it will be my children's problem to deal with. i'd guess i'm typical. hard to imagine someday when i stop listening for one reason or another selling my records one by one will be that important.....to me.

Last edited:

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
no.

don't confuse asking price with value (i do have that box set you list). and selling records is work. yes; there are opportunities, but most who have assembled collections don't have the mental energy to effectively sell them one by one. a few do. but it's a separate thing from loving vinyl and collecting. i buy a record to advance my enjoyment of the hobby.

i don't have as many really expensive pressings as some, but more than others. it's fun to see a big value on a record i own, but i'm not thinking i should sell it. in 30 years i've sold 2 or 3 records to friends who saw it and wanted it. sold a hand full of tapes the same way. and those i mostly regret.

my perspective is that likely it will be my children's problem to deal with. i'd guess i'm typical. hard to imagine someday when i stop listening for one reason or another selling my records one by one will be that important.....to me.
I agree with part of the statement, so I buy two of them! to listen one the other as an investment.
I hope that the following generation will have the legacy, but you can't control their interests..
i enjoy the appreciation with the possibility of earning a return in old age if needed.....

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I agree with part of the statement, so I buy two of them! to listen one the other as an investment.
I hope that the following generation will have the legacy, but you can't control their interests..
i enjoy the appreciation with the possibility of earning a return in old age if needed.....
nothing wrong with that. i've bought multiple copies of certain pressings in the past thinking i might sell one or have one extra since i love it.

but never sold one or opened a second one yet.

Reactions: bonzo75 and dan31

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
nothing wrong with that. i've bought multiple copies of certain pressings in the past thinking i might sell one or have one extra since i love it.

but never sold one or opened a second one yet.

I feel the same way. I unintentionally ordered a lot twice, some are a back-up, others are up for grabs. I also invest specifically in records with the potential to increase in value, but only in the fields of jazz and classical music. As a collector, separation is a foreign word anyway..

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
No, never ever.

I buy records to listen to and enjoy. I don't buy doubles as that stops me buying the next new album. I only buy reissues if I am not happy with my current version.

similar to what Mike said, the selling of my vinyl will be my two daughters problem after I drop dead.

AudioAbe

Jun 10, 2021
UK
I have amassed a fairly large vinyl collection (approx 6,000 LPs), and im now at the point where I will only buy new records from the proceeds of sale of ones that I won’t listen to anymore. Invariably these tend to be limited edition coloured vinyl pressings, which are often noisy and pretty unpleasant to listen to, but look nice.

This rule keeps both my wife and I happy. Record collecting is now cost neutral, and generally I am able to buy at least 3 new records from proceeds of the sale of 1 old one.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
No, never ever.

I buy records to listen to and enjoy. I don't buy doubles as that stops me buying the next new album. I only buy reissues if I am not happy with my current version.

similar to what Mike said, the selling of my vinyl will be my two daughters problem after I drop dead.
Exactly same here 'XV-1' :)

Reactions: XV-1

Steveo

Oct 2, 2021
My vinyl collection has approached somewhere over 10,000. Late 90’s and early 2000’s brought about a dearth of new releases. So I went on a multiple shopping sprees purchasing what I could get my hands on. Local record shops, online purchases, thrift stores, garage sales, etc… Occasionally, concerned with the demise of the lp, I would buy a double copy. Now, realizing the reality of my longevity has sunk in. Albums I will unlikely play again have been sold. Mainly on Discogs. Some are expensive; most not. Years ago culling the collection was sacreligous, always wanting an album available should a visitor make such a request.
I will add, I have never purchased an album for the purpose of monetary gain. The music is the foremost intent, so rarely does a new lp go unplayed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing