Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
One very big comment STEVE said is very telling in why LAMPI is a great product to own. LAMPI groupies lol. We are all over the world ready to help all.

Steve Williams

This is incorrect as said but the conception is correct. But if Steve’s using Roon it’s vol control has draw backs to use.

As stated all gain is via my Lamm Preamp, not roon

Steve Williams

Ty for your reply STEVE. his server is an Amazing product that allows the max ability of a dac we use with it.

I couldn't agree more and it is for that very reason that I designed my system around the Taiko Extreme rather than around an uher expensive DAC. Tubes are my passion and it had always been my first thought that the DAC I would use would be the Lampi Pacific, so much so that one of my CMS shelves was sized all along for the Pacific DAC

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
As stated all gain is via my Lamm Preamp, not roon
Congrats Steve, welcome to Lampi Land , I use an ancient GG1 with 242s into my Koda pre and it works a treat. Now if I understand correctly you have the PAC with Vol control... not bypassed and then thru the Lamm , so passing the signal thru two volume controls , is that not detrimental ,even if it is helping you adjust the gain.

Reactions: bonzo75

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It’s not just about gain it’s about a correct tone. As I said in a phono pre to pre gain matters in correcting tone. If you took the time to observe and compare you would find the music flows closer to analog and still has plenty of dynamics like analog has.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
It’s not just about gain it’s about a correct tone. As I said in a phono pre to pre gain matters in correcting tone. If you took the time to observe and compare you would find the music flows closer to analog and still has plenty of dynamics like analog has.
So you recommend getting a Lampi with Vol control and feel it worthwhile even with what surely must be a loss in transparency of the signal , as it passes thru two Vol. controls.

Steve Williams

i find -12 dB on the Lampi produces the most analogue sound

Steve Williams

So you recommend getting a Lampi with Vol control and feel it worthwhile even with what surely must be a loss in transparency of the signal , as it passes thru two Vol. controls.
I was initially going to buy the Pacific without the gain control for reasons exactly what you state however talking to the experts here, all stated that the volume control on the DAC can be used for tonality.

I'm not losing dynamics as best I can tell after listening last night

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Long before Steve got a Lampizator I debated gain issues with him concerning the Lamm's.

But yes, it is a general statement valid to any swap. A large voltage signal implies a larger output current, that increases distortion in the output, most of the times independently of the volume position. This change can affect our immediate perception of loudness.
Based on my replies to you, I hope you see that these are 2 separate issues. The preampsweetspot discussion would equally apply to 300B tubes too. if Roon volume set at 70% and preamp volume set at 60% for BOTH 242 and 300b in his setup, then to enjoy the same SQ Stve would likely have to adjust to -12db in one setup and -15db in the other, but always in a range to get that sound character. To sound more SS like he would put Pac volume up to -10 to 0 db and to sound tubey, he would dip blow say -18db.

However, the right way to do it is to first set the upstream components and then find preamp sweetspot, bearing in mind this is all a range. The ear will make the final decisions.

Steve Williams

Based on my replies to you, I hope you see that these are 2 separate issues. The preampsweetspot discussion would equally apply to 300B tubes too. if Roon volume set at 70% and preamp volume set at 60% for BOTH 242 and 300b in his setup, then to enjoy the same SQ Stve would likely have to adjust to -12db in one setup and -15db in the other, but always in a range to get that sound character. To sound more SS like he would put Pac volume up to -10 to 0 db and to sound tubey, he would dip blow say -18db.

However, the right way to do it is to first set the upstream components and then find preamp sweetspot, bearing in mind this is all a range. The ear will make the final decisions.

I am finding this to be my findings. My thoughts are above -10 db on the Lampi starts to sound very solid state

I have no idea what volume the Extreme is set at as I have never messe with it since Emile set it up. I'm a set it and forget it type guy

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ty Steve for your honest observation on this matter. I have in the past thought like jazz head I’ve been there. Many said any loss or anything in the volume path must be avoided
When I had my msb stack I paid thousands to have a volume control. But my msb stack was not a typical vol pot it was a passive gain path until it hit 0 then became a gain stage. Honesty I did not use it until a bud explained why it should be better in a gain stage then passive. He was very correct. In a LAMPI dac the gain path starts at the digital board and this is where the vol pot is. Then it as it goes to the golden set tubes it gains more and the rich sound of set tubes. This is why a lowering does not loose sound with just 15 dB or so yes to go lower does effect things. Anyway we all should try and observe it’s the best way. This is also true of my two otari tape decks. The vol pots sit in the middle of two gain stages like LAMPI.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Long before Steve got a Lampizator I debated gain issues with him concerning the Lamm's.

But yes, it is a general statement valid to any swap. A large voltage signal implies a larger output current, that increases distortion in the output, most of the times independently of the volume position. This change can affect our immediate perception of loudness.

Micro, it is sad that you are so inexperienced a listener as to be misled by immediate perceptions of loudness or any other artefacts.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Play and observe and enjoy we look to hard at settings and less at enjoying it. I grew up on analog then went to digital I’m now just going back to analog as well. It has shown me new directions to move to. The vol pot was one and I’m very glad I did.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
micro I see your point but given the set tubes on LAMPI are used below 10% I can’t see how this applies. Reg Kedar’s 242 love ?? I for one dod not agree with him until I heard a dac that plays them well. He said this to me many times but I held steady in my own. We get stuck on concept and don’t observe as we all should. anyway enjoy os Steve it’s a wonderful dac. One day if your ever in nyc feel free to stop by and take whom ever you wish as a guest or guests

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ty Steve for your honest observation on this matter. I have in the past thought like jazz head I’ve been there. Many said any loss or anything in the volume path must be avoided
When I had my msb stack I paid thousands to have a volume control. But my msb stack was not a typical vol pot it was a passive gain path until it hit 0 then became a gain stage. Honesty I did not use it until a bud explained why it should be better in a gain stage then passive. He was very correct. In a LAMPI dac the gain path starts at the digital board and this is where the vol pot is. Then it as it goes to the golden set tubes it gains more and the rich sound of set tubes. This is why a lowering does not loose sound with just 15 dB or so yes to go lower does effect things. Anyway we all should try and observe it’s the best way. This is also true of my two otari tape decks. The vol pots sit in the middle of two gain stages like LAMPI.

I am finding this to be my findings. My thoughts are above -10 db on the Lampi starts to sound very solid state

I have no idea what volume the Extreme is set at as I have never messe with it since Emile set it up. I'm a set it and forget it type guy

I am happy that once we debate data and facts we can understand the situation and analyze it with numbers. The situation is multi-variable and must be addressed as so if we want to learn something new.

Assuming digital volume, it seems to me that the more reasonable option would be keeping Roon volume out of the path and dealing just with the Pacific volume - as far as I see it the Extreme is bit exact and does not adjust volume. Do you think so?

Did I understand correctly that the volume control of Steve's Pacific is purely digital and has no analogue switching or attenuation?

I

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro, it is sad that you are so inexperienced a listener as to be misled by immediate perceptions of loudness or any other artefacts.

Oh, yes, your are right, I forgot to write that cold feet and alcohol are also known to affect the perception of sound quality for most people. I will train also for them, many thanks ...

Reactions: marty

Steve Williams

Did I understand correctly that the volume control of Steve's Pacific is purely digital and has no analogue switching or attenuation?

as best I know all gain is coming from my preamp

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing