Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Steve! The set-up looks terrific!

I am glad all the new pieces are finally installed!

I am looking forward to your reports about vinyl.

Happy listening!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve!

Sweet additions, LP1, Anna...dealer disclosures. Techdas, simply the superior solution set of the new TT machines; of course, acknowledging best addition for last, "The David!"

Enjoy,
Alan

Hi Alan

I agree. The David factor has had my mind spinning for the past few days with his suggestions because everything we did brought me a step closer to "natural sound"

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Wow Steve! Now I know I must schedule a visit, perhaps when my remodel is underway. Very interested in hearing the MC Anna, not to mention the rest of your amazing rig. What a serious way to return to vinyl. No screw'n round—I'm sure it sounds sublime.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wow Steve! Now I know I must schedule a visit, perhaps when my remodel is underway. Very interested in hearing the MC Anna, not to mention the rest of your amazing rig. What a serious way to return to vinyl. No screw'n round—I'm sure it sounds sublime.

Bob

I have always loved listening to everyone's vinyl rig over these past umpteen years. I heard the cartridge in Mike Lavigne's system and loved the sound.

An interesting story in the set up....after David had finished setting up the arm and cartridge and that magic moment came to put on a record for first listening.... I opened a brand new sealed album and we sat down to listen. It was friggin horrible. The left channel sounded fine but the right side wa scratchy and sounded terrible and the stylus kept popping out of the grooves. David kept scratching his head and rechecked all of his settings and everything was perfect. Not being able to figure out what was wrong we decided to put on another unopened album and voila, everything was perfect. As David said. "what do you think the chances were that the very first record I put on was dead on arrival?"

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Very nice Steve

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Steve. Can we know what was the official non dead on arrival inaugural LP?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congratulations Steve. Can we know what was the official non dead on arrival inaugural LP?
Probably a GZvinyl pressing. :p

Congrats Steve, I am very happy for you and your return to the wonderful world of vinyl. I have no doubt you'll be in Black Gold heaven for some time. And really looking forward to hearing what you're listening to. Well done! :D

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Congtrats! Marvelous table/arm/cart combo -

If the cart is brand new it will need a bit of break-in and once the suspension settles in will be followed by some fine tuning afterwards. Once you have put some hours in do try some different record clamps.

Noticed looking at that vid - was the suction actually down because there appears to be a abnormal vinyl movement.

What platter did you end up going with

Your first listening - ya that would hurt after dropping all that coin - waiting time for set-up and expectations.

I would not recommend just dropping any vinyl on without first cleaning and a quick visual inspection. I have seen allot of crap that comes with new especially - extra material and could result in a disaster for your cantilever. I know a few whom have learned the hard way.

I always clean and place in a new antistatic sleeve, get allot of listening prior to having to clean again but always use my brush anyways.

Do share what your initial impressions are and additional once you put in some more hours.

Enjoy!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'll join the silent chorus and congratulate you too via the keypad. Boy, you jumped right in at a very serious level. I'm sure you will enjoy this for many years and your enthusiasm already comes through in your first few posts. I'm so excited for you.

Steve, I agree with DEV that you should consider getting a RCM very quickly and not play many LPs without first cleaning them and then placing them in very good inner sleeves. You will soon discover the ritual and effort involved with playing LPs. You will get out what you put in. Patience is important with vinyl and the tiniest adjustments will matter with your highly resolving system. You will be well rewarded. I also look very forward to reading your impressions as things settle.

You are going to have a blast.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I suggest you get a Spin-Clean...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's hard not to be impressed by a good vinyl rig, and am glad you finally went that way... long overdue, I might add. Would be interested in comparisons with your R2R, and sure, why not, with your digital (but who really cares :D)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing