Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Today I enjoyed another great afternoon with Steve listening to music.

My reaction to hearing Steve's system at length this second time was that I now feel that during the first visit I was so overwhelmed with ogling the Lamm equipment that I think I didn't really focus on the system and the sound. This time I was more relaxed and I sat back and really listened to the system, and I just enjoyed the music Steve played.

I think Steve's system sounds fantastic. I like the low noise floor and the quiet serenity of the room itself.

Coherency, dynamics and rise time are the characteristics of the system which, during this visit, struck me the most. There is a seamless coherency to the sound produced by Steve’s system. I do not know how Steve was able to integrate so well and smoothly the JL Audio F113s with the big Wilsons, but I cannot tell where the Wilsons stop and the F113s start. I do not think I have ever heard subwoofers so smoothly integrated with full-range speakers.

I also noticed strongly the dynamics of the system and the fast rise time of the equipment. The system seems to respond and jump (rise) nearly instantly to the input of the musical signal. I attribute the dynamics mainly to very large dynamic driver speakers supplemented by very capable subwoofers. I attribute the fast rise time mainly to the Lamm electronics.

The pair of not large F113s made the bass in the system sound so complete that I left scratching my head a bit as to why we (ah, I) dream of tall woofer towers with phalanxes of cones. Perhaps I have not heard enough "statement" speaker systems with separate subwoofer towers to know what the towers add incrementally, but I really had trouble imagining what Steve could be missing in the bass department.

I had another wonderful high-end audio afternoon!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I have to agree with you on the dynamics. One of my go to reference songs is The Man's too Strong by Dire Straits. That song is a great test on so many different levels. On Steve's system the guitar bursts are instantaneous and very bold. I don't know if it was his system or the fact that we were listening to it on SA CD. I have been on a quest to duplicate that and have failed miserably. That song also gives the subwoofers is serious but subtle workout and it is amazing and his system.
As stated before I am not a tube guy but that system is a game changer for me about my attitude towards them.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I agree Steve and since I am having hernia surgery Friday, in the coming weeks I have a lot of sitting around to do.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
When I was in Utah 3 weeks ago to visit ddk and hear his amazing system I was most interested in his choice of GM-70 tubes in the ML3 Signature amp. David and I have the same electronics and I am quite familiar with the sound. The ML3 Signature amp from Lamm Industries comes with carbon plated GM-70 tubes. When I bought the amp Vladimir commented that he had purchased 6 pair of perfectly matched copper plated GM-70 tubes. I must admit that I rarely ever roll tubes as IMO Vladimir knows how to select his tubes and voice his gear. Having said that I do have several pair of NOS Telefunken ECC803S as well as several other choice 12AX7 Telefunken NOS tubes and have used these ever since I purchased the amplifier. I also bought a pair of the copper plate GM-70 tubes and did give them an audition in my system several years ago but went back to the carbon plate GM-70 as the dynamics and the bass were just so much better than the copper plate GM-70's. David had the copper plate in his system and preferred them as the sound to him was far more "natural" than the copper plated tubes. In fact I discovered that Vladimir himself uses the copper plate GM-70 as his reference. Returning from Utah I decided to have another serious listen to the copper plated tubes and this past week was just that. I wondered if I had not given them enough thought the last time.

With the tubes in the mid range was absolutely "to die for" but the dynamics of my system seemed gone and the bass had collapsed into itself and much of the magic was gone. There is no doubt that the copper plate on David's system sounded better but his speakers are 110 db efficient whereas mine are 95 Db efficient. I found that my speakers just didn't open up and perform as well as they did with the carbon plate and I re inserted the stock carbon plate tubes back in before Ron's visit yesterday and I am glad that I did as the bottom end did sound fantastic yesterday.

Thanks again Ron and Mike

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Again thank you. My JRiver was up and running within 10 minutes of install. I am quite happy guys. Please start another thread if you want to espouse the virtues of players

You're fine Steve. Stay with JRiver. I have JRiver, HQPlayer, Audirvana+ and several others I won't mention.

Steve Williams

Agreed. I've tried several player programs and always come back to JRiver.

For now JRiver suits my needs however several of my audiophile buddies have switched to Roon and say that is the way to go

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
For now JRiver suits my needs however several of my audiophile buddies have switched to Roon and say that is the way to go

Roon looks interesting. Once it adds Multichannel play and HQ Player integration, it will be worth a closer examination.

Steve Williams

For those who have been following my system blog over the past 2 1/2 years you know that I have been fascinated with the sonic changes to my system with my use of Shunyata power cords and signal cable throughout my entire system as well as the addition of Stillpoints Ultra 5's under my speakers and subs as well as Ultra 6's under my amplifier. I have been very happy with the results gleaned along the way. We all know those famous last words that an audiophile utters are "I'm done with additions and changes and am happy with my system."

I can't think of how many times I have personally said that..........and meant it. I would bet that at one time or another all of us have been in audio nirvana only to find that a different form of audio excitement comes our way and challenges our very essence.

Alas ;) but such has been the case with me over these past 3 months during which I have been purposely quiet until all off the pieces of the puzzle came together such that I could finally bring this 12 year itch of mine to fruition.

I think that I have probably shown this quote below so many times as I feel that it is so apropos of most audiophiles (at least myself) :)

Some members here over the past several months have been privy to what changes in my system have been taking place. I find this to be the beauty of this website inasmuch as there is such a wealth of information to share whenever one needs advice in a direction that he plans to take.

It's no secret that over these past 12 years I have been lusting about getting backing vinyl. I was smitten some 12 years ago when I visited Mike Lavigne in Seattle shortly after his room opened. I remember how "gob smacked" I was hearing Mike's system and marveling at his vinyl rig. Over these past 12 years getting back into vinyl has always been my annual New Year's resolution but along the way something has always come along instead and derails my desire. This has included getting my Studer and being back into tape, then the Shunyata and Stillpoints sojourn and over the past year adding the USB-X to my Playback Designs allowing me to delve into computer audio and digital files (HiRez PCM, DSD, 2X DSD) and I now have a nice library of 8 Tb's of music.

So three months ago I have been getting a lot of advice from members here about the world of vinyl and again my appetite was stimulated such that this time I had no reasons at all to keep me from finally taking the plunge. I don't even want to tell people how long it has been since I have had a vinyl rig of my own.

So without further ado let my give you a few second You tube video that my son did of my new vinyl rig which finally was installed and set up this past week after sitting in my garage for a few weeks. I will follow with some updated photos of my room as well as a description of everything new added

Steve Williams

Additions made to the system

TechDas AirForce One with Duralumin platter
Graham Elite tone arm
Ortofon MC Anna cartridge

Critical Mass Systems rack designed specially for the table and Phonostage. The CMS rack has a Black Diamond Upper shelf and three Black Platinum lower shelves

Owning the Lamm ML3/LL1 Signature series there was no doubt as to what phono stage I ordered which was the Lamm LP1 Signature thus completing the Signature Series which is an 11 box system.

I did order the LP1 with two identical SUT's for normal gain cartridges rather than a SUT for low output a cartridge and a normal output cartridge

A pair of Shunyata Sigma Analog PCs for the phono power supplies and a Shunyata Alpha Digital for the controller.

Shunyata interconnect from Phonostage to preamp.

Steve Williams

I had ordered everything well over 3 months ago and it only showed up laft week where it sat in my garage. Bob Graham was to set up the table and arm but due to unforeseen illness he could not make it until the end of August. He recommended an installer in the Los Angeles area who I know but he was going to Chile for a 2 week summer ski vacation and also would not be available until the end of August as well. This is where this forum becomes such a source of information. As you recall several weeks ago this One Amigo want to Cedar City Utah to visit ddk and hear his museum of vintage turntables and his amazing Bionor speakers.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...My-Step-Beyond&p=328669&viewfull=1#post328669

It didn't hurt that David also owns a TechDas AF One and uses all the same Lamm Signature electronics as I do so it was also a chance to learn about the table and electronics from David. When David heard about the delay in the installation he volunteered without hesitation to fly dow to Orange county and do the set up my table, arm and cartridge. This all came to fruition on Monday with David's arrival. These past several days we spent listening to the system and FWIW I am in hog's heaven. I couldn't be happier.

David only left yesterday but along the way we also found time to spend a few hours visiting Philip O'Hanlon and hearing his wonderful Vivid Giya G1's. Thank you Philip for again being such a wonderful host.

A huge thank you however has to go to David for taking 4 day out of his schedule to bring the final piece of the puzzle to fruition. Without him this gear would still be sitting in my garage.

Another big shout out has to go to my dear friend and fellow member Jack Duavit who gave me countless bits of information as to the CMS rack, choice of platters, arms and cartridges. Jack also is a veritable wealth of knowledge who never tired from all of my questions. Jack. I love you bro. You are sorely missed

Over these past few days David and I have done some critical listening to my system. For those who know David, know that he has a penchant for rooms and setting up systems. His mantra which fascinated me when I visited him in Utah has always been that "it must sound natural". To hear his system is to understand what he means by that. I returned from Utah lusting after the sound that David has in his room and with his suggestions we played around with some changes in my room which I must admit are getting me close to that "natural sound".

I am going to stop here for a bit as I have some things to do with family today but I would like to describe some changes we made in the room as an attempt to reach that natural sound

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congratulations, Steve! I am so happy for you. You are in heaven now for sure!

Would love to know what led you to the choice of the MC Anna (nothing but curiosity leads me to ask as there are a number of fantastic choices).

Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing