Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Busy but exciting day! Hopefully you will be taking pics and posting.

Those Dragon's looking stunning and the Kronos with it's stand and latest controller system is very nice indeed.

Enjoy!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My experience with CGS Grounding In My System

The users instructions for the V2 mentions that the use of the CGS is system dependent and some people might hear no change while others derive big improvement. I came home from Shunyata this past week with a 9 meter pair of CGS grounding cables from each power supply to the Triton and a meter pair for going from my amp to its power supply. It's important to note that each of my amp channels are on it's own dedicated line and the sound floor seemed non existent to begin with.

Sadly I had no derived benefit. In fact there was a noticeable ground loop hum when everything was grounded. Suffice it to say the grounding cables have been removed. IMO each user needs to run this simple but quick experiment to determine if there is benefit in their system. My Lamm ML3 is built like a battle ship and is likely very well grounded so for me no obvious improvement but YMMV

Steve Williams

I must admit that change happens slowly with my system as the idea of getting back into vinyl continues to be at the forefront of my audio thoughts. I am hoping that this year will finally bring that idea to fruition. Having said that I have also wanted to get involved in computer audio as I have 8 TB's of HiRez PCM files as well as DSD and 2X DSD that I have never heard. I use a Playback Designs MPS-5 and recently purchased a USB-X which allows my computer to connect to the Playback Designs. Having been in Seattle last week and hearing both Bruce's system as well as Mike's I noticed that they too used the USB-X interface and I was quickly drawn into their playing digital files and appreciating how great it sounded. I also noticed that my USB-X uses optical glass cables whereas the original version had a proprietary connection to the back of the Playback Designs. I was told by Jonathan Tinn that the newer version which comes with the optical cables sounds better than the older version.

What I had been dragging my paws about was whether I should use a Mac (my preferred) or a PC. I have used a Mac for years and wasn't wild about using a PC. Also which player to use. I have friends who use J Rivers via J-Remote to a PC as well as others who use a Mac with Pure Music and others who use a Mac with Audirvana. Yesterday those thoughts finally came to fruition as I got a visit from my good friend Philip O'Hanlon who suggested we set the USB-X up with my Mac Book Pro

Not certain as to the player to use I downloaded a trial version of Audirvana Plus and hooked up the USB-X. Initially we couldn't get my computer to see the USB-X despite many countless attempts. My son who is a Mac whiz happened into the room and heard our problem and said that we probably have a problem with the P-Ram and as you restart the computer he held down together the Command, option and "P" and "R" buttons. Voila, instantly my computer saw the USB-X and I was in business. Philip and I spent the next several hours listening to many of the files I have and I have to say that I am smitten with this new format.

I plan on playing with the aforementioned players before deciding which one to ultimately use. For the time being Philip tweaked the settings on my Audirvana and I have been in hog's heaven.......

Now if I can finally come to a decision as to which TT :confused:

Stay tuned

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I was told by Jonathan Tinn that the newer version which comes with the optical cables sounds better than the older version.

Sorry to say Steve, but you may have misunderstood me. The USX-II is only better if you need a very long run. There is no sonic difference.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How wonderful to read that even with a system of your calibre you are finding or discovering new ways to listen to music. Good on you Steve!:)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Steve,

For what it's worth, my preference is for Audirvana. It has the best mix of useability, reliability and sound quality.
The other apps had far too many problems and quirks to be worth the trouble.
Once you settle on a player, the fun with USB cables begins :)

alexandre

Steve Williams

FWIW, I did download JRiver yesterday and I was glued all day to my computer screen playing HiRez PCM files as well as DSD and 2X DSD files and loving it. I have to admit that I prefer to use JRiver over Audirvana. What I really liked was that all the cover art was present for my files in JRiver but only partly so in Audirvana

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
FWIW, I did download JRiver yesterday and I was glued all day to my computer screen playing HiRez PCM files as well as DSD and 2X DSD files and loving it. I have to admit that I prefer to use JRiver over Audirvana. What I really liked was that all the cover art was present for my files in JRiver but only partly so in Audirvana

Even more fun is dowloading Jremote on your iPad, connection to JRiver and controlling the entire library remotely.

Steve Williams

Even more fun is dowloading Jremote on your iPad, connection to JRiver and controlling the entire library remotely.

I downloaded it yesterday as well but just haven't set it up. On my list for today

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I downloaded it yesterday as well but just haven't set it up. On my list for today

You will love it. You can fully customize it too. For example, I have different browsing categories that go beyond genre or having to use playlists. I have all my 70's albums in one category, or 'older jazz', DSD stuff - all separated with the touch of my finger if I so desire.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
You will love it. You can fully customize it too. For example, I have different browsing categories that go beyond genre or having to use playlists. I have all my 70's albums in one category, or 'older jazz', DSD stuff - all separated with the touch of my finger if I so desire.

Very flexible in structuring catalogue views and organizing libraries. Very important in classical. I have classical organized as follows:

Genre -> Classical (you could create sub-genres here "orchestral", 'chamber music", etc.)
Composer -> e.g. Beethoven
Work -> e.g. Piano sonata Opus 111
Artists -> e.g. Alfred Brendel

So if I rip a CD with say a Schubert and Brahms quartet, the composers end up in different locations in my library.

Setting this up is a bit of work to figure out though...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Very flexible in structuring catalogue views and organizing libraries. Very important in classical. I have classical organized as follows:

Genre -> Classical (you could create sub-genres here "orchestral", 'chamber music", etc.)
Composer -> e.g. Beethoven
Work -> e.g. Piano sonata Opus 111
Artists -> e.g. Alfred Brendel

So if I rip a CD with say a Schubert and Brahms quartet, the composers end up in different locations in my library.

Setting this up is a bit of work to figure out though...

I may be getting this wrong, but iTunes does that automatically, with Smart Playlists...
Also have a few classical playlists such as yours. Genre -> "Classical", Composer -> "Beethoven", Work -> "Fifth". So if I add a new album, it'll go right in, without me having to file it.

As for the artwork, Steve, are you using Audirvana's own interface, or iTunes + Audirvana (in iTunes Integration mode)? iTunes can search artwork automatically. I don't see how JRiver could have a leg up on this... Oh, Audirvana's own library interface is poor, so I just use it in the background, and keep everything in iTunes. In Audirvana, I just leave the DSD files, that iTunes is not able to catalog.

alexandre

Steve Williams

I managed to easily install JRemote yesterday and you guys are right. What an absolute easy remote to use with J River.

I used it all day yesterday and am playing a whole new library with previously unheard (by me) hirez digital files and am loving it. I haven't yet begun to customize this remote app to suit my preferences but for now I am smitten with what I am hearing

I doubt if I will ever buy another silver disk again :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I managed to easily install JRemote yesterday and you guys are right. What an absolute easy remote to use with J River.

I used it all day yesterday and am playing a whole new library with previously unheard (by me) hirez digital files and am loving it. I haven't yet begun to customize this remote app to suit my preferences but for now I am smitten with what I am hearing

I still buy them - rip them once and put them in storage. Still lots of good 44/16 content which cannot be bought downloadable in full resolution.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Congrats, Steve! I'm happy to help if you ever delve into the customization...

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Welcome to the hirez server club!! I still buy silver disks when I want the music but can't find it in downloadable higher-resolution form.

Don't forget the wealth of 24-bit 44.1Hz resolution downloads available. IMHO I much prefer the sound of a 24bit file to a 16bit file of the same mastered music. Also, don't forget that you can rip your silver discs which are HDCD encoded to 24bit 4.1hz for your server to get much better (to my ears) sound.

Steve Williams

Congrats, Steve! I'm happy to help if you ever delve into the customization...

Thanks. I appreciate that

Perhaps some suggestions as to what you did is a good starting point. Perhaps others reading as well can chime in as to how they customized the remote

Steve Williams

I remain a newbie in this fascinating new (to me) format. One thing which also swayed me towards J River vs Audirvana was how quickly I could change from one track to another with virtually no lag time whereas with Audirvana the wait between tracks was easily 10 seconds. I also like the fade at the end of one track as the new track begins to play

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
JRiver is just out of this world fantastic and the price is downright a steal. Takes a while to fully exploit all its functions but well worth it.

You will not regret that plunge into "music server" . With these, Music Listening takes a whole new dimension. With a system such as yours .. You may find yourself fussing less and less about the gear and getting more and more in the music...

Enjoy it

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing