Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I found the initial version of the Triton to have very good AC receptacles but the cords always looked as if they were slipping.

Funny that this was mentioned--I've a set of the Adaptors pictured and my cords went wonky after week or so--even slipping out on one occasion--I hope the latest batch of these has more "grip"

Expected better Qual control at $200(AUD) a pop-- Maybe if they tested them with more of the Gigantor cords now in vogue--no?.

BruceD

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I forgot one very important and noticeable upgrade in the V2 and that is the AC receptacles. I have 10 Furutech Rhodium Gold AC duplexes in my room and once the power cord is in, the grip is amazing. I found the initial version of the Triton to have very good AC receptacles but the cords always looked as if they were slipping. Such is not the case with the V2. IMO they grip the power cord as good as the Furutech Rhodium Gold that I have

That is good to hear. The grip is always the major criticism of my Triton.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I still remember when I put my Triton in place of my Hydra v-ray II, right out of the box it was clearly better. Seems like now they have done it again! I'll be saving up...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have had all my source gear on last night without running signal through them as was recommended by Caelin for the V1. Not that I expect cables to move while components are on but having a look at the back of the V2 every cord is tight in each AC receptacle and none have loosened. This is a big plus for me

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Shunyata Hydra Triton V2 Initial Thoughts..

[…]
So what about the sound. Well here are some preliminary thoughts..........

The Dynamics and transients are absolutely explosive.......

The bottom end has likewise risen another notch. I don't know how you do it Caelin but here is my final initial thought.....

Once again when I play known tracks from my demo disks I feel that the volume is much louder than that to which I am accustomed. The best way I can describe it is that the sitting position has moved forward significantly to where it feels I am dead center 10 rows back from the stage

I have many demo disk that I use but so far this afternoon I have been listening to a demo disk for "bass" and bottom some of which has been classical in genre and the sound stage although unchanged as to the proverbial more depth and width, what I was hearing was more body to the soundstage. The orchestra's literally came alive.

Many of the really low bass was once again at another level. Bear in mind that my Lamm ML3 Signature amp is 30 WPC. Today I was hearing explosive bass such that when I came downstairs for dinner my wife said she has never heard bass emanate from my room like it did today.

This is right out of the box. My anticipation is that this will only continue to get better with some burn in.

Kudos Caelin, you have hit another home run. IMO no sound system would be complete without a Triton. Now having heard the V2, you have my head shaking once again. The sound is as clean, clear, dynamic and real as I've heard in my system

More to come

Wow, that sounds great, Steve! Thanks for sharing your impressions. I guess I'll be happy going for the V2 as well. Once the siding of my house is fixed which costs much more than that unit…and my acoustics are upgraded with ASC window plugs, which is a more burning issue, and is currently in the works.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Today I had the honor of spending an entire afternoon in Steve's listening room. Steve and his beautiful wife were gracious and accommodating hosts. Steve even did a great job of introducing me to wonderfully recorded music with which I was unfamiliar.

Steve’s system, for the type of sound reproduction I prefer (on the sweet/musical side; analog and tubes; no solid state; no digital) provides the greatest illusion of live music I have ever heard. (Many years ago Michael Kay played for me the Goldmund reference turntable with Infinity IRS Vs, but that listening experience -- my first “religious” experience of the high-end audio variety -- was so long ago that I am not sure of the accuracy of my aural recollection, so I am not reluctant to declare Steve’s system the winner.) As amazing was what I heard today I know I will like Steve's future record-playing front-end even more.

As my journey in this hobby enters its fourth decade I become only more convinced that the room must be viewed as an essential component, requiring the same fanatical attention we bestow upon our electronic components. The quietness of Steve’s listening room is a testament to the skills of Bonnie, his acoustic consultant at SoundSense. I went home and tried to figure out if I could copy Steve’s room treatment by covering the walls of my listening room with drapes lined with Bonnie's flexible acoustic material. I think having the side walls and rear wall treated uniformly with identical acoustic material makes a lot of sense.

Historically I have respected, but never cared for sonically, Wilson speakers, as I always found them too bright. (The soft dome tweeter in the Alexia and the XLF, changes, to me, the tonal balance of each of those speakers and corrects completely what I perceived as brightness in prior models. In fact, I like very much the sound of the XLF and the Alexia, and they are the only speakers which cause my eyes (ah, ears) to wander from my electrostatics.) Yet, with Steve’s all-Lamm tube electronics, I do not hear in Steve’s X-2 Alexandria Series lls the brightness I associated with Wilson speakers prior to the introduction of the soft dome tweeter. The Lamms work some kind of magic on the big Wilsons. Sadly the Lamm amplifiers cannot drive my Martin-Logan speakers. (I jokingly asked Steve if Vlad makes anything in the 400 watt range.) Lamm amplifiers are the best sounding amplifiers I have ever heard for driving sensitive speakers.

Steve treated me to my first experience with reel-to-reel tape. While the playback of CDs and SACDs I heard today was amazing, it was not until Steve played one of his favorite recordings on magnetic tape that I felt that Steve truly gave me the illusion of re-creating an original musical event. Listening to that musical performance on tape was pleasurable, enthralling and emotionally involving in ways the CDs could not, for me, induce.

I had a wonderful high-end audio afternoon in every respect!

Frank is here

Nov 13, 2013
...it was not until Steve played one of his favorite recordings on magnetic tape.......Ron / Steve what was played ......

Steve Williams

...it was not until Steve played one of his favorite recordings on magnetic tape.......Ron / Steve what was played ......

I played a lot of tapel but the one which really blew Ron's mind was Stimela (The Coal Train) by Hugh Masakela. Ron felt he was in the room with the singer and it was as live as he has ever heard

Steve Williams

Great report Ron. It must be a wonderful system. I was not aware that Steve is planning on adding vinyl capabilities.

Steve, do you care to give a preview?

Not just yet

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I sure did! I just ordered two of the Analogue Productions LPs of that album.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I played a lot of tapel but the one which really blew Ron's mind was Stimela (The Coal Train) by Hugh Masakela. Ron felt he was in the room with the singer and it was as live as he has ever heard

LOVE that track.

Steve Williams

I wish I had. I was at The LA Philharmonic 2 days before hearing Dudamel conduct the New World Symphony by Dvorak when I discovered Masakela was going to be there 2 days later. Darn, but I missed him. He does come every year

Steve Williams

I honestly have not hooked up grounding cables yet from my amps to the Triton CGS. The cable length is rather long and I haven't gotten around to ordering a pair yet.

Having said that the V2 is beyond my wildest expectations with dynamic and explosive bass and precise imaging but yet with a much more full bodied soundstage. The attack and decay of notes is far better on the V2 and as before when I hook up some new Shunyata gear, there is the apparent feeling that the sound volume is louder than without the new device. Such was the feeling once again when the new Triton V2 was placed. The sound floor is absolutely dead silent.

I will be attending Gary Koh's Genesis Dragon event on Friday eve as well as touring the Shunyata factory with Caelin and my friends during the day on Friday as well as getting back to Caelin's house to hear his personal system and new Kronos turntable. I will discuss grounding cable lengths with Caelin then

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing