Does Everything Make a Difference?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The cable builders who address it in their designs are Louis Motek of LessLoss (the review product manufacturer) and Calen Gabriel of Shunyata Research with his patented ?tron (zitron) technology.

Are you currently using any Shunyata Research products?

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I'm not sure it's a great analogy, because in racing I guess everything, or virtually everything, can be objectively measured. The change in question either allows the driver to reduce his track time, or it doesn't.
I never implied it was a great analogy, just an analogy using other performance-oriented industries.

The fact that high-end audio is a hugely subjective industry is irrelevant. It’s still intended to be performance-oriented (as opposed to preference-oriented) and since there are no hard and fast measurements for determining sound quality, that ought only to imply we need to be a bit more diligent to ensure we’re on the right track with whatever we do.

Besides, as Karen Sumner said in one of her threads… “We already possess the most sensitive measuring instruments and that’s our ears. Our ears can easily discern more natural sound from a less natural sound.” Paraphrased.

I don’t agree with much of anything Karen says, but I agree 100% with this. In fact, our ears and our brain’s interpretations of the quality of natural/unnatural sound we hear works so well that when we hear a more natural alarming sound, our bodies will react instinctively and instantaneously. And when we hear a more unnatural alarming sound our bodies will often times have little or no reaction.

But I actually think the Formula 1 and Top Fuel racing teams analogy is perhaps as good as any because clearly those are two balls-to-the-walls pedal-to-the-metal performance-oriented industries where everything absolutely matters. Which just so happens to be the subject matter of your OP.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
@Folsum , Just so , As an aside I came across a thought provoking article a litttle while back should anyone be interested. .

Interesting. I had not seen that article. The thrust of it seems aimed at "debunking" and telling certan manufacturer's "you know better." Graphs and math. The main (or one of the) conclusions seems to be: "Thus the dielectric losses at audio frequencies where the cable is terminated into a low impedance load such as a loudpeaker are insignificant."

What is unclear to me is whether "dielectric loss" -- dissapation of energy as heat -- relates to what the audiophile cable manufacturers are addressing in attempts to reduce or mitigate signal contamination. i.e. the additive electrical energy put on the audio signal. The article was written before such efforts were made and does not discuss in those terms. Maybe the article is relevant, maybe not -- I'm not in a position to judge but the author seems to thrive on addressing "confusion clouded by industry snake oil." On the other hand the article makes no connection between its conclusions and what people hear from different cables. It does not seem to address sound other than to say "you can't here this" , nor does it present itself relating to specific claims made by audiophile cable manufacturers. It does not contain the word 'sound' although it does talk about the limits of human hearing.

Audiophile cables set out to differentiate themselves from one another and presumably differences in construction and materials may explain differences in sonic effect. All of which is not to say that certain claims made by certain cable sellers do not warrant scrutiny.

Brf

Sep 21, 2012
There are over 20,000 FDA approved drugs. The majority of them will do nothing, some will have adverse side affects, and some can be life altering. Audio tweaks are the same, it depends on the patient/system. .

Reactions: Another Johnson

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Besides, as Karen Sumner said in one of her threads… “We already possess the most sensitive measuring instruments and that’s our ears. Our ears can easily discern more natural sound from a less natural sound.” Paraphrased.

Karen Sumner has a wonderful way of summarizing the essentials. When making comparisons and adjustments and experimenting with components and set up, I always ask myself one question: does it sound more natural?

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ

henrich3

Jun 7, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
And I thought you would quibble with the word “natural”.
I see the word "natural" as being synonymous to "accurate", one of my favorite descriptive words when it comes to audio reproduction.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I see the word "natural" as being synonymous to "accurate", one of my favorite descriptive words when it comes to audio reproduction.

it is one of my favorite words also because it is so comprehensive. I find it synonymous with the word “accurate” if the goal is the sound of real instruments. If the goal is to present through a system the same information one thinks is on the original recording, then I do not think “natural” is synonymous with “accurate”.

Reactions: Folsom and henrich3

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Assuming tweaks do alter the sound, my question is: How do you know if the tweak is altering the sound via addition (coloration) rather than subtraction (reducing noise)?

More specifically -- let's assume you have found a great amp for your particular speakers, have addressed the speaker/room interface and chosen low-distortion gear. You add a tweak. Let's say footers under one or more pieces of gear. The effect is enjoyable and while the sound is different it is not a lesser simulation of live sound. The result is "natural" and doesn't distract from your engagement with the music.

Did the tweak: 1) add a pleasant sound effect to your existing setup or 2) removed noise that previously masked the ability of your gear to sound its best?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Interesting. I had not seen that article. The thrust of it seems aimed at "debunking" and telling certan manufacturer's "you know better." Graphs and math. The main (or one of the) conclusions seems to be: "Thus the dielectric losses at audio frequencies where the cable is terminated into a low impedance load such as a loudpeaker are insignificant."

What is unclear to me is whether "dielectric loss" -- dissapation of energy as heat -- relates to what the audiophile cable manufacturers are addressing in attempts to reduce or mitigate signal contamination. i.e. the additive electrical energy put on the audio signal. The article was written before such efforts were made and does not discuss in those terms. Maybe the article is relevant, maybe not -- I'm not in a position to judge but the author seems to thrive on addressing "confusion clouded by industry snake oil." On the other hand the article makes no connection between its conclusions and what people hear from different cables. It does not seem to address sound other than to say "you can't here this" , nor does it present itself relating to specific claims made by audiophile cable manufacturers. It does not contain the word 'sound' although it does talk about the limits of human hearing.

Audiophile cables set out to differentiate themselves from one another and presumably differences in construction and materials may explain differences in sonic effect. All of which is not to say that certain claims made by certain cable sellers do not warrant scrutiny.

But you also have no proof that what you hear is because of dielectric differences specifically.

Reactions: Argonaut and adyc

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I would rather hear about cable engineering from someone like Dave or Garth. People directly involved who can measure, listen, then make changes, measure, and listen again.
There is a recent interview of Blue Jeans Cables on Audiophile Junkies website. They go into some of what they look at engineering wise when making a cable. I am going to stop by their shop soon to get some cables for my PAP speakers. The cables that go between the crossover and the drivers. Those have a very pronounced sonic signature. I would like to get something that is engineered correct for the application.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I would rather hear about cable engineering from someone like Dave or Garth. People directly involved who can measure, listen, then make changes, measure, and listen again.
There is a recent interview of Blue Jeans Cables on Audiophile Junkies website. They go into some of what they look at engineering wise when making a cable. I am going to stop by their shop soon to get some cables for my PAP speakers. The cables that go between the crossover and the drivers. Those have a very pronounced sonic signature. I would like to get something that is engineered correct for the application.
I've spoken to extent with Galen (ICONOCLAST) in the not so distant past and was very informative and helpful. He's the one who finally convinced me into switching from balanced to single ended going to my Stratos monoblocks, and I have to say, he was 100% correct.

And speaking of ICONOLAST cables which are sold through Blue Jeans Cables, I purchased my Stratos amps from Bob Howard, the sales director of BJC/ICONOCLAST. Another great guy to talk with. I wish we had more time to sit and chat for a while, but they had other plans for the rest of the day so I just picked up the amps and came back home.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've spoken to extent with Galen (ICONOCLAST) in the not so distant past and was very informative and helpful. He's the one who finally convinced me into switching from balanced to single ended going to my Stratos monoblocks, and I have to say, he was 100% correct.

And speaking of ICONOLAST cables which are sold through Blue Jeans Cables, I purchased my Stratos amps from Bob Howard, the sales director of BJC/ICONOCLAST. Another great guy to talk with. I wish we had more time to sit and chat for a while, but they had other plans for the rest of the day so I just picked up the amps and came back home.

I have a Stratos, they are single ended. While there is an XLR in, pin 3 is left completely disconnected. IMO, XLR in should be an extra cost option with an input trafo used, but since that's not the case RCA in is better.

Also, if you look at Iconoclast pricing, you can just buy a single cable that's as long as you need all of your cables, cut it up and reterminate it with higher quality connectors. The per ft price for additional length gives you a good idea of the actual cost of the cable.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

You're better off buying Neotech UPOCC copper or silver wire.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The question is, how does the enthusiast use science. How do we pick a cable, pick a stand, pick a component. Heck, just look at rooms. If you ask 3 different room accousticians how to build a room, you get 3 answers. Ask a speaker designer how to select a speaker and what do you get. You were very helpfull when I was looking for 60 foot speaker cables and knowing the math. But that was very unusual.

Same as anything else... how do you buy cars, TVs, appliances, etc?

The more you educate yourself the better off you are. You can find reviewers you share taste with and agree on other things. Maybe you can test it out yourself?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
@Folsum , Just so , As an aside I came across a thought provoking article a litttle while back should anyone be interested. .

Audioholics debunks everything. In particular, they think a lot of things are below the level of our perception that are not.

Whether you correctly attribute dielectric absorption to what you hear is another story though. ;)

Reactions: Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing