Does Magico have a "house sound", and if so, how would you describe it?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Confused why half the posts on this thread are yours despite not owning a Magico speaker.

That's easy, see post #17, first page of thread.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That's easy, see post #17, first page of thread.

No, you just like to stick up for your friends.

@PeterA I missed your question on what I feel Magico's inherent traits are, but don't feel the need to respond on this thread. In my speaker thread I posted on why I prefer YG to Magico in the sealed box arena when several people asked me to demo them.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

@PeterA I missed your question on what I feel Magico's inherent traits are, but don't feel the need to respond on this thread. In my speaker thread I posted on why I prefer YG to Magico in the sealed box arena when several people asked me to demo them.

Could you please send the link? That was a year long search/thread so it may be hard for me to find it. I asked you because you are participating in this thread.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Could you please send the link? That was a year long search/thread so it may be hard for me to find it. I asked you because you are participating in this thread.

Search Magico posted by Keithr in the thread. Forum has good search except for three letters or below

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Confused why half the posts on this thread are yours despite not owning a Magico speaker.

90 posts from Al would be quite a lot. I think he has substantial listening experience to speakers of this brand, specifically to Magico speakers in systems he knows well. It seems like many others who don't own Magico speakers are also commenting in this thread, including you. It seems many people have opinions about the brand having heard them in all sorts of contexts. I don't see anything wrong with people discussing this, though I personally rarely discuss brands that I don't own or have extensive experience with. I certainly don't render opinions about the sonics if I feel I don't have sufficient time with the brand.

Reactions: Al M.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Well i think Magicos are pretty ! Sometimes ;)

Reactions: PeterA and DaveC

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Reactions: Al M.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Search Magico posted by Keithr in the thread. Forum has good search except for three letters or below

Thank you Kedar. I found these two posts that did not mention his thoughts about cost:

1. "Thanks Peter, but I'm not a Magico fan. Have heard them numerous times."

2. Some other THE Show comments:

- I still am not into Magico speakers, but the best Magico pairing was on Philip's Gryphon (S5mk2) which was about as good as I've heard them sound. I thought the M2 on Burmester and Vac was underwhelming - the sound was completely dead in the first, and not enough current in the second despite better tonality. I truly believe Magico owners should hear YG Acoustics latest Hailey 2 and Sonja 2 for a more coherent and dynamic loudspeaker.

I find the comment about disappointing coherence and dynamics interesting, so thank you for that.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
PS: For those who wonder why I am such a strong voice for Magico here: I don't own Magico speakers. And for various reasons, I probably never will. And I am incredibly happy with my own Reference 3A Reflector monitor / dual JL Audio F112v2 sub combo -- thank you very, very much.

Thus, I have no skin in the game. However, I just cannot stand the persistent misperceptions about the brand, since I constantly am able to hear what Magico speakers can do with my own darn ears. I care about the truth.

If you've had one or 20 or 100 -- I don't care one bit -- bad auditions of Magico, that's your own little problem (I've had three bad ones too at a dealer, but two good ones as well). I know what those speakers can do.

Al, I think you heard yesterday how dramatically a slight change to set up transformed the sound of a system with the Magico M Pro. IMO, that experience illustrates that point you make above.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, I think you heard yesterday how dramatically a slight change to set up transformed the sound of a system with the Magico M Pro. IMO, that experience illustrates that point you make above.

Exactly, Peter.

Reactions: PeterA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Nonsense, Keith. I just happen to be constantly impressed with Magico speakers and together with Peter heard Ian's M Project again yesterday for a few hours. Some things Magico systems do better than my system, on others I prefer mine. Nothing is perfect, neither my own system nor any other system, Magico or not. Often though Magico speakers show me what is possible in a number of aspects, especially the M Project; not surprising given their all-out engineering effort.

If I were not constantly impressed to a high degree with Magico speakers, listening frequently to Peter's Q3 and Ian's M Project, I wouldn't care. I would simply not contribute to a thread like this one, friends or not.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) And then I have had trade tell me that forum people are a very small percent of their market. I have no idea how true this is. But their customers seem to care much less about such stringent evaluation criteria as we have, they are more about service, trusting the local dealer, and looks of the product. I understand that. This strict live music type criteria we follow is great for a handful of us to discuss, but from a manufacturer's point of view, there are bigger fish to fry.

Good points. Just look that at this moment we perhaps have more participation in this forum from manufacturers/dealers than from prospective buyers ...

IMHO this strict live music criteria is just a choice of a small number of people, as valid as any other criteria. In fact it is much less stringent that many other criteria, but being extremely subjective allows great debates. And I do not see any reason why it can't coexist with good service, trusting the local dealer and looks of the product.

Reactions: Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I just happen to be constantly impressed with Magico speakers and together with Peter heard Ian's M Project again yesterday for a few hours. Some things Magico systems do better than my system, on others I prefer mine.(...)

Al M.,
Can you tell us on what aspects you prefer your speakers to the M Project?

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Complete and utter nonsense. I have thoroughly defended Magico on this thread, and have heard some of their speakers sound stellar. And yet I did hear truly awful Magico auditions, no ifs and buts (not that this necessarily says much about the intrinsic quality of the speakers). In your unbridled, reflexive fandom you just can't take the truth.

You know, those who can, and allow for more flexibility in accepting what's actually happening on the ground, tend to simply be more credible.

Your reply is out of context, I did not say you can't have a bad Magico demo/setup, I am saying that people like Bonzo never heard a Magico they liked (even if they never even heard it). You will not change their minds, set up, good or bad, has nothing to do with it.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Your reply is out of context, I did not say you can't have a bad Magico demo/setup, I am saying that people like Bonzo never heard a Magico they liked (even if they never even heard it). You will not change their minds, set up, good or bad, has nothing to do with it.
Why would you say that ? Ked changes his mind all the time, he is evolving !;) That being said, he was never negative about the speakers when he reviewed systems with Magico.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good points. Just look that at this moment we perhaps have more participation in this forum from manufacturers/dealers than from prospective buyers ...

IMHO this strict live music criteria is just a choice of a small number of people, as valid as any other criteria. In fact it is much less stringent that many other criteria, but being extremely subjective allows great debates. And I do not see any reason why it can't coexist with good service, trusting the local dealer and looks of the product.

I meant that about any criteria we use, we can use it to say A is better than B. This does not help any manufacturer. And no, on the forum we will use criteria and we will rate, and we will call a lot of gear that doesn't meet the criteria as not good enough. If it scares some people off so be it. The manufacturers who don't meet the live music criteria are the ones most responsible for the degradation of audio, along with the people who pay up to buy their products

Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why would you say that ? Ked changes his mind all the time, he is evolving !;) That being said, he was never negative about the speakers when he reviewed systems with Magico.

No I am negative about them. And that's not evolving, as I am evolved past that, so I don't plan to revolve back

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You most be bored Milan, to force me in so you can grab popcorn

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
No I am negative about them. And that's not evolving, as I am evolved past that, so I don't plan to revolve back
You have not heard the latest batch with new drivers, be open minded Ked ;)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You most be bored Milan, to force me in so you can grab popcorn
I was defending you ! I always consider you open minded, outspoken to the hilt, but open minded :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing