Does Magico have a "house sound", and if so, how would you describe it?

caesar

May 30, 2010
There is a clear common thread between all the Magico I owned and heard, and it is a lack of coloration. That is what throws people off. It may not be as exciting on a quick demo, but its longevity is secure. I used to be just like many here if the bass was not elevated to a point where my bones rattled, and the tweeter was not splashing “air” left and right ( turned out its just noise, that is not on any recording!), I was not engaged.
I evolved ;)

Sure. But let's be honest. Many folks like rock. And they will choose a different brand of speaker to rock. But for small scale classical and jazz, I agree with you (given the right amps).

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
MBL has consistently put on GREAT shows in the US. They stay up all night to get things right. They don't open the door until everything is perfect. Get it right or don't do it. No excuses ever.

The MBL team is the best of the best.

Meh. I've heard their room at AXPONA 2017 and it was less than memorable, to put it gently.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yes, it's a subjective hobby. People imagine what they want to imagine and buy whatever luxury enhances their ego.

And it works both ways. At a recent Axpona, the local Magico dealer set up M6s in the open space in the hotel. You can imagine the ambient noise. It was so loud One couldn't hear the speaker!

Yet the TAS reviewer, Andrew Quint - Taffel or is Taffel - Quinn, gave it the best of show.! Yet, I saw the same mother fuyer in a room with the new swiss metallic speaker, driven by Einstein OTL, playing vinyl, and making gorgeous , transparent sound. The pathetic Mother Fukker ignored this awesome room while giving Magico in the hotel lobby best of show.

Can't speak to that room, but a large expensive speaker (non Magico) at AXPONA 2017 got fantastic reviews from TAS or Stereophile, can't remember which. In truth it sounded anything but fantastic, it sounded thoroughly and utterly MEH. Dishonest sycophants.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Caesar, I agree that What's Best Forum is the best forum. Perhaps not the best for him (Wolf). I think he was contacted years ago and declined to participate, but I'm not sure. I suspect he is pretty busy. They build an awful lot of speakers.

Quite a lot of manufacturers also stay clear of forums as a principle.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Intellectual honesty is very hard to find in this hobby. This hobby is a "war for one's ego" . And a "war for influence".

+1

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What is "plain awful" to you may be "decent" or even "spectacular" to others (and vice versa). All this subjective stuff is nothing but an ego war :(
Too bad objectivity is a bad word here.

Complete and utter nonsense. I have thoroughly defended Magico on this thread, and have heard some of their speakers sound stellar. And yet I did hear truly awful Magico auditions, no ifs and buts (not that this necessarily says much about the intrinsic quality of the speakers). In your unbridled, reflexive fandom you just can't take the truth.

You know, those who can, and allow for more flexibility in accepting what's actually happening on the ground, tend to simply be more credible.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Quite a lot of manufacturers also stay clear of forums as a principle.

This certainly is true. I have found that most manufacturers assume that audio forums operate on an unappealingly low level of discourse. Obviously, I think WBF is the exception.

Once manufacturers spend a little time here, I think they come to a more favorable conclusion than their initial assumption.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This certainly is true. I have found that most manufacturers assume that audio forums operate on an unappealingly low level of discourse. Obviously, I think WBF is the exception.

Once manufacturers spend a little time here, I think they come to a more favorable conclusion than their initial assumption.

Actually, many view it is a thankless task for them, to be part of a forum discussion

caesar

May 30, 2010

Yes, that makes sense from that point of view. But I believe that it is a narrow and self - defeating perspective.

"Companies" are not really trusted, except by the most loyal customers.

Vast majority of reviewers are mis-incentivized and are not trusted either by serious audio fans. If they don't engage, they are losing out on how their brand is shaped by the conversation on the forum. Yet if they engage, converse, and be helpful in some ways, they can gently steer the perception of their brand. Why leave the destiny to the winds of the internet mob?

And if the top guys are too busy to participate, get your marketing people to do it.

caesar

May 30, 2010
The magico marketeer usually sets them up, Peter ???. He knows what he is doing. It's the SS amps that kills it for them.

And that Berkeley Reference DAC is about as analytical as it gets.

(yes, I know that "worthless to the audio fans" Harley and the Computer Audiophile Geek think it's the best DAC in the world. But when normal people hear it, one wants to hang himslef from the chandelier.
Swing....Swing... Swing... Swing...)

Magico kind of shoot themselves in the foot at shows with dumb amp and DAC choices

Yet Magico know that they an attract the Valins and "Worthless to the Audio Fans" Harley to their room by pairing with stuff like CH and Soulution, who are dying to cover the new, latest shiny toy, and get that Best of Show.

Fans be damned...they use the TAS tools to get the publicity

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kedar, have they actually told you that?

First, note that many I chat with are non-English, and assuming they will get on English forums to talk about their product will possibly work against them.

What they say, to paraphrase, is that they don't like forums because people are always arguing and always think they know too much about design. I interpret this as they have been on forums before, had debates on their design, and obviously got emotional about it. Sometimes I have come across old posts from them on their local forums, and can see they stopped chatting a few years ago.

For them it is tricky, as they can turn unpopular very fast with a few wrong dialogues. We should not assume a good manufacturer/designer is also a very good forum debater who will carry himself like a gentleman across a message board.

And then I have had trade tell me that forum people are a very small percent of their market. I have no idea how true this is. But their customers seem to care much less about such stringent evaluation criteria as we have, they are more about service, trusting the local dealer, and looks of the product. I understand that. This strict live music type criteria we follow is great for a handful of us to discuss, but from a manufacturer's point of view, there are bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
The one's that tell me say they simply don't have the time - they have work to do. :)
Charles Hanen (Ayre) used to be very active, which was nice.
(I used an Ayre CD player and preamplifier at the time - those were great products)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
First, note that many I chat with are non-English, and assuming they will get on English forums to talk about their product will possibly work against them.

What they say, to paraphrase, is that they don't like forums because people are always arguing and always think they know too much about design. I interpret this as they have been on forums before, had debates on their design, and obviously got emotional about it. Sometimes I have come across old posts from them on their local forums, and can see they stopped chatting a few years ago.

For them it is tricky, as they can turn unpopular very fast with a few wrong dialogues. We should not assume a good manufacturer/designer is also a very good forum debater who will carry himself like a gentleman across a message board.

And then I have had trade tell me that forum people are a very small percent of their market. I have no idea how true this is. But their customers seem to care much less about such stringent evaluation criteria as we have, they are more about service, trusting the local dealer, and looks of the product. I understand that. This strict live music type criteria we follow is great for a handful of us to discuss, but from a manufacturer's point of view, there are bigger fish to fry.
I remember the performer formerly known as Mark Levinson making a appearance years ago. That turned bad pretty fast :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
Just bought a pair of MAGICO A3. Should be arriving this week. I've been looking for a pair of good speakers for my office.

I've a pair of ATC SCM50PSL at home, wonderful speakers, with the right amplification, it sounds terrific. I thought i should try other speakers brand in my office, hence I did not go for another pair of ATC.

I read various mixed reviews of the MAGICO in the forums. I certainly hope it lives up to the expectations!

I'll be back.

Cheers,
Alvin

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Just bought a pair of MAGICO A3. Should be arriving this week. I've been looking for a pair of good speakers for my office.

I've a pair of ATC SCM50PSL at home, wonderful speakers, with the right amplification, it sounds terrific. I thought i should try other speakers brand in my office, hence I did not go for another pair of ATC.

I read various mixed reviews of the MAGICO in the forums. I certainly hope it lives up to the expectations!

I'll be back.

Cheers,
Alvin
Don’t get dissuaded by this bunch of grumpy old men ! We love to discuss and take things apart, that is half the fun for us :rolleyes:

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
Lets see how it goes. I shall share some pics once it got them set up properly.

It should be fun!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Complete and utter nonsense. I have thoroughly defended Magico on this thread, and have heard some of their speakers sound stellar. And yet I did hear truly awful Magico auditions, no ifs and buts (not that this necessarily says much about the intrinsic quality of the speakers). In your unbridled, reflexive fandom you just can't take the truth.

Confused why half the posts on this thread are yours despite not owning a Magico speaker.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing