Does Magico have a "house sound", and if so, how would you describe it?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You are trying to convince people whose idea of good sound is a flapping cardbox with a megaphone in the center. It does not matter how Magico performs or sounds; they just listen to what they are used to or like, and if they don't hear it, its bad.

I tend to assume more from people in terms of willingness to listen.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You are trying to convince people whose idea of good sound is a flapping cardbox with a megaphone in the center.
LOL, that is funny. Kudos to you for ingenuity !:)

Reactions: caesar

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
It seems pretty clear to me that different speaker house sounds exist not so much for the artistic goals of the designer but because listeners have different tastes. Magico has always been polarizing and I get it. They are known for being analytical, but one person's analytical is 'natural' and another's is 'non-musical'.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Probably the most successful hi-end loudspeaker company of the 21st did not get there by having "disastrous" showing. If you like Magico (or willing to keep an open mind), you will find their showing decent to spectacular (M2/M6 in Munich).

Except that I like Magico, and I have also heard them sound plain awful. As far as "decent", I don't care about that either. I can get far, far better than "decent" at home ;). Perhaps that's also why I usually don't care about shows. Why should I?

Spectacular, well that's a different matter.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
They are known for being analytical, but one person's analytical is 'natural' and another's is 'non-musical'.

Except that on your M Project speakers you can get a similarly saturated tonality as I do on my Reference 3A speakers, and with more authority than those on, for example, piano or orchestra.

And I guess there is hardly anyone who would accuse Reference 3A as sounding "analytical".

Last edited:

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Just a note about shows
Shows have some of the worst, saggy, highly impedance, overloaded, noise polluted mains on the planet....way beyond what an average conditioner can fix
Shows are also literally EMI/RFI soup and who knows what the quality of network feeds are like given the amount of bandwidth being consumed.
The rooms are generally asymmetrical and the furniture is removed to make room for seated listeners, who come and go, changing the room’s RT from under-to over and occasionally perfectly damped.
Speakers are set up to allow the maximum number of listeners to get a reasonable impression of performance, so there really is no sweet spot and most seats will not enjoy proper channel balance and symmetry.
The partnering equipment is often loaned and may well include items not fully run in. In addition, all equipment has been packed, transported and only installed the day before the show. In some cases, speaker manufacturers may not really know the sound they are aiming for
Typically the hotel has very high levels of ambient noise...while this may not be heard directly it certainly masks a lot of ambient detail and subtlety .
Earthing at shows is probably both highly polluted and high impedance.
Foot traffic and multiple systems will massively increase floor borne vibration

So all in all, if any manufacturer or dealer can achieve even half decent sound at a show, it demonstrates an extraordinary level of skill, or a highly refined and stable process based on a carefully chosen set of ‘show components’ in order to make the set up as reproducible and stable as possible.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Certainly people are free to have differing opinions.

Except if they don't like Magico sound in a WBF thread on Magico ... :eek:

Reactions: Lagonda

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just a note about shows
Shows have some of the worst, saggy, highly impedance, overloaded, noise polluted mains on the planet....way beyond what an average conditioner can fix
Shows are also literally EMI/RFI soup and who knows what the quality of network feeds are like given the amount of bandwidth being consumed.
The rooms are generally asymmetrical and the furniture is removed to make room for seated listeners, who come and go, changing the room’s RT from under-to over and occasionally perfectly damped.
Speakers are set up to allow the maximum number of listeners to get a reasonable impression of performance, so there really is no sweet spot and most seats will not enjoy proper channel balance and symmetry.
The partnering equipment is often loaned and may well include items not fully run in. In addition, all equipment has been packed, transported and only installed the day before the show. In some cases, speaker manufacturers may not really know the sound they are aiming for
Typically the hotel has very high levels of ambient noise...while this may not be heard directly it certainly masks a lot of ambient detail and subtlety .

So all in all, if any manufacturer or dealer can achieve even half decent sound at a show, it demonstrates an extraordinary level of skill, or a highly refined and stable process based on a carefully chosen set of ‘show components’ in order to make the set up as reproducible and stable as possible.

Nice summary. Additionally, there is a lot of sound leakage sometimes, especially at Munich, as walls are weak. Sometimes you can hear the neighboring rooms sound.

Many just match their components up with whatever the distributor advertising has at that point, or what the people sharing the room's cost bring to the table.

At Munich, some who rent the same room year after year sometimes have an improvement in sound due to past learnings, but they can implement the learnings only next year. I know two big brands who brought in smaller speakers the following year because they learned their flagship ones did not work in that room, there was no point.

What does irritate me though, is that fans of components go to these rooms where clearly their favored component is sounding sub par, yet come and report back it was one of the best rooms at the show. They are clearly being dishonest, or their own components must be set up pretty bad if they think this poor sounding show room is a reference

Reactions: KeithR and Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Just a note about shows

Thank you for expressing, much better than I could, what are also my concerns about show conditions. As for the AC mains quality, it might explain in part why at times some of the best sound at shows seems to be from small systems with smaller amps. Whereas big, power hungry amps, such as those typically needed to drive Magicos, just "die" on the miserable mains conditions.

Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) What does irritate me though, is that fans of components go to these rooms where clearly their favored component is sounding sub par, yet come and report back it was one of the best rooms at the show. They are clearly being dishonest, or their own components must be set up pretty bad if they think this poor sounding show room is a reference

IMHO they are not being dishonest, most of the time they are simply presenting us their surely biased opinion. Once you get used to a component you easily forgive some sins of the system in favor of the good things. My attitude at shows is looking for everything and mostly listening to the positive outstanding sonic aspects.

Sorry to say , but again IMHO inferring about other people audiophile behavior or character is extremely unfair and unfriendly.

Reactions: caesar and PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMHO they are not being dishonest, most of the time they are simply presenting us their surely biased opinion. Once you get used to a component you easily forgive some sins of the system in favor of the good things. My attitude at shows is looking for everything and mostly listening to the positive outstanding sonic aspects.

Sorry to say , but again IMHO inferring about other people audiophile behavior or character is extremely unfair and unfriendly.

Sorry, if you know a component well and what it can do, if it is sounding bad at a particular show due to improper set up, I expect you to tell me this is not representative. Not that wow, this is the best of the show. But you are right. Honesty can be unfriendly.

Listening for some positives has no relation to putting an unnecessary positive spin on the negatives

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M. and Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just a note about shows

All good points - and they only add to my belief that we should be thankful to the people who work hard to carry demos in such hostile conditions and respect their work. If we do not find anything good in it - and it happens some times - we also are the loser.

Reactions: goodsource

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What does irritate me though, is that fans of components go to these rooms where clearly their favored component is sounding sub par, yet come and report back it was one of the best rooms at the show.

LOL - is that true?

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Except that I like Magico, and I have also heard them sound plain awful. As far as "decent", I don't care about that either. I can get far, far better than "decent" at home ;). Perhaps that's also why I usually don't care about shows. Why should I?

Spectacular, well that's a different matter.

What is "plain awful" to you may be "decent" or even "spectacular" to others (and vice versa). All this subjective stuff is nothing but an ego war :(
Too bad objectivity is a bad word here.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
You are trying to convince people whose idea of good sound is a flapping cardbox with a megaphone in the center. It does not matter how Magico performs or sounds; they just listen to what they are used to or like, and if they don't hear it, its bad.
Probably the most successful hi-end loudspeaker company of the 21st did not get there by having "disastrous" showing. If you like Magico (or willing to keep an open mind), you will find their showing decent to spectacular (M2/M6 in Munich). Like any precision tool, they will benefit from careful setup, but that's not going to change the minds who think that a 60 year old Tannoy is where sound reproduction progress stooped.

I was told by industry insiders that WA is the most successful of the Hi-end speaker companies ...

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Just a note about shows

Apart from the mains , everything else can be controlled ..

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Thank you for expressing, much better than I could, what are also my concerns about show conditions. As for the AC mains quality, it might explain in part why at times some of the best sound at shows seems to be from small systems with smaller amps. Whereas big, power hungry amps, such as those typically needed to drive Magicos, just "die" on the miserable mains conditions.

Presenting a $1M system and not taking everything into consideration for those power hungry amps ..

:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Presenting a $1M system and not taking everything into consideration for those power hungry amps ..

:)

These systems are rarely bought on sonics, so it doesn't make a difference.

Reactions: Folsom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing