DS Audio Grand Master + EMM Labs DS-EQ1

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I wonder to.

The least expensive DS Audio cartridge + decoder is about $2,500 in total. I am told that the least expensive cartridge gives you about 85% to 90% of the performance of the most expensive one.

The Grand Master costs $15,000 + $12,000 for the EMM Labs decoder = $27,000. (I don't know what the top of the line DS Audio decoder at three times the price of the EMM DS-EQ1 gets you.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
July/August 2021 issue, pages 62-68
Article by Jonathan Valin

Jonathan concludes his review of the Grand Master by repeating Ken Kessler's conclusion that "this is possibly the best cartridge [I've] ever heard."

PS: It is very unfortunate that I have to even think about this, but I note that DS Audio took out a full-page advertisement in that issue of TAS.

Last edited:

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I assume you all read this month's glowing DS Audio Grandmaster review in Absolute Sound? Very informative and enlightening!
The least expensive DS Audio cartridge + decoder is about $2,500 in total. I am told that the least expensive cartridge gives you about 85% to 90% of the performance of the most expensive one.

The Grand Master costs $15,000 + $12,000 for the EMM Labs decoder = $27,000. (I don't know what the top of the line DS Audio decoder at three times the price of the EMM DS-EQ1 gets you.)
And then there is the 003 newly released third generation at around £5000, this may just be their sweet spot!

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Your implication is correct -- "suppresses" is the wrong word. Nothing is supressed. It simply does not accentuate ticks and pops and surface noise compared, in my opinion, to moving coil cartridges. As I told Jim and Peter today, I hope you, and they, are able to hear this thing -- and sooner rather than later.
Peter Ledermann ran a talk for The Audiophile Society a few days ago that delved into this subject.

He contends that much of the noise from the groove is what he termed jitter. Greater the mass at the magnet end of the cantilever the greater the energy reflected back down to the stylus. This, he contends, causes the stylus to jump in the groove, sample the encoded information and cause noise.

Soundsmith designs are low mass at the magnet end for this reason. I've not tried one so couldn't say whether they are notably better at noise avoidance than other designs

The even lower mass of the DS cart would suggest even less reflected energy and might explain the low noise? In any case your observation appears to bear out PL's assertion.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Do you still need to use a phono stage when you have the EMM Labs decoder?

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
No, the decoder is the phono. The cartridge and decoders are available separately so you can choose any of the DS decoders to go with your cart of choice or one from the likes of EMM.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

No, the decoder replaces the traditional phono stage.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
With DS Audio you can mix the cartridge and the decoder and can be good choice the cartridge Grand Master with the decoder Master 1 that cost 15.000 usd like the emm labs,instead 40.000 usd of Grand Master decoder

Why bought Emm Labs and not the DS Audio decoder Master 1 that cost same like Emm Labs?

Reactions: jeff1225

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

Why bought Emm Labs and not the DS Audio decoder Master 1 that cost same like Emm Labs?

I have not seen a comparative review of the EMM Labs DS-EQ1 versus any of the DS Audio decoders. Ed Meitner is a somewhat indirectly known quantity to me based on the number of personal friends I have who love his DACs.

But what I really want is a Jim White of Aesthetix designed tube optical decoder.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Practically speaking, with DS Audio seemingly making significant improvements to this young and novel cartridge technology so rapidly, and with the strong likelihood that more third party companies will make their own decoders, there is a good argument for starting initially with the entry-level DS Audio cartridge + decoder package, and then waiting a good long time before upgrading to a later generation top-of-the-line DS Audio cartridge and one's favorite future very expensive decoder.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
But what I really want is a Jim White of Aesthetix designed tube optical decoder.
Has he indicated that this design topology is in his wheelhouse?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has he indicated that this design topology is in his wheelhouse?

Jim has not indicated anything. He is a brilliant designer, and I am sure he can figure it out if he wants to.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Marty!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I always thought the electro-mechanical interface was part of the charm. Optical readers won't read 'mass effects', so there goes the 500 pound installation down the tubes.
No pops or clicks, as somebody said, means electronic processing of some sort.
Optical systems seem to pop up every ten to fifteen years.
Too many hosannas, epiphanies, eurekas and 'game changers' generally mean: wait a year and see how the technology sorts itself out in the field before committing.

Reactions: K3RMIT

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I always thought the electro-mechanical interface was part of the charm. Optical readers won't read 'mass effects', so there goes the 500 pound installation down the tubes.
No pops or clicks, as somebody said, means electronic processing of some sort.
Optical systems seem to pop up every ten to fifteen years.
Too many hosannas, epiphanies, eurekas and 'game changers' generally mean: wait a year and see how the technology sorts itself out in the field before committing.

Why do you think this technology is brand new? I think this technology has been around for at least seven years already. The company is in the third generation of its cartridges.

Who said "no pops or clicks"? I certainly did not. From this inaccuracy you deduce incorrectly "electronic processing of some sort."

Why don't you go hear it for yourself?

Last edited:
Reactions: matakana

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I thought that debate required a certain amount of contra. So sorry to offend the status quo. Are you going to start screening the site for commercial conformists?

As I said, the optical readers seem to flame and fade periodically. There are reasons for con as well as for pro.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I totally respect and strongly desire contra -- especially when it is grounded in facts and not based on assumptions.

An audition which converts a skeptic is the most valuable evidence of efficacy.

Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing