gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Reactions: Ron Resnick

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys (& gals?)

Hi Ron

Thanks for sharing your experience at your friends house regarding the DS Audio Grand Master cartridge.

One of my best friends in my area (Suburb north of Chicago) owns a brick & mortar hifi store (remember those?) and he has on display the Grand Master cartridge with their $8500.00 power supply/eq and when I asked him what he thought of the sound quality here is what he told me: “I never knew analog could sound that good”. For those of you who would like to know, the table and arm it was mounted on is the AMG Forte with their Turbo 12” arm. The amps and preamp is the Audio Research Ref 160 mono blocks and the Ref 10. The speakers are the new Wilson Alex’s. This comment is coming from a guy who has been in the business for over 44 years and who has always been a diehard analog guy who has heard and sold just about every mc cartridge on the planet.
In hanging out at the shop, I have personally watched him set up hundreds of tables for customers and the store.

I am, as you know, about to buy a new cartridge and this is one I am VERY interested in. I think it was brilliant of DS Audio to allow any of their power supply/eq’s to Be compatible with any of their cartridges. Here is my only concern. I have asked a few people who claim they have heard at least one of if not all of the Their cartridges and all 4 of these people have said the same exact thing, they all agree that the attributes are an unbelievably quiet noise floor which allows the listener to hear things in the mix that were previously hidden, stunning bass, enormous soundstage etc. But, and here is the part that has me worried, they all said that they just lack the supreme musicality of some of the better mc cartridges when set up properly. They all agree that the sound seems to target and be most similar to the best digital sources. They all agreed, at first you are blown away with how quiet the noise floor is and how articulate the Bass is but, in the long run, they are not very musical and just not their “cup of tea”. Please don’t misunderstand what I am getting at, I have never personally heard one and most importantly, I am not saying Ron is wrong. All I am saying is, if a few people are telling me that a product lacks musicality, that concerns me.

I’m going to have to get over to my friends store and take a listen for myself. We all know how easy it is, when listening to something new, to be blown away at first and then, after a few weeks we go back and listen again to the exact same thing and we are sometimes not as blown away as we first were. I’m pretty sure that’s happened to all of us at some point.

Even in Jonathan Valin’s review, he talked about many different positive attributes and mentioned at least 15 different positive traits but if you go back and read the review again, not once did he use the word musicality. For me, musicality is probably one of the most, if not THE most important attribute I must have in a piece of gear. If a piece of gear isn’t musical, it’s a deal breaker. Doesn’t matter if it’s a cartridge or a preamp or whatever. If I find a piece of supposedly great audio lacks musicality, no matter how quiet or how great the bass is, I either return it or sell it. The bottom line is, I have to go listen for myself. After I do, I’ll let you guys know what I heard. Thanks and take care.

Best regards
Scot

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for this post, Scot.

I completely agree with the musicality* question/concern/open issue. By no means do I consider my initial first impressions in Post #1 to be my final opinion on the subject.

Please note my comments 10) and 12) in the opening post.

Note that I said that the DS Audio Grand Master, for me, could replace the cartridges which, to my ears, are on the transparent/neutral/leading edge transient end of the subjective cartridge sonic spectrum. For me personally, it would replace something like a Lyra Atlas or a vdH Colibri; it would not replace my ZYX UNIverse Premium or a Grado Labs Epoch3 or something on the Koetsu end of the subjective cartridge sonic spectrum. The Grand Master will not be mistaken for a Rosewood Signature Platinum or a Grado Epoch3.

I also think it is the perfect cartridge for somebody transitioning to analog from digital.

Interestingly, and, perhaps, tellingly, my friend whose system I heard prefers cartridges which I, personally, tend to find to be a little bit too neutral/slightly aggressive for me, such as the Dynavector XX-1 and the Lyra Atlas. (For the record, I have never cared for the Lyra Atlas in any system which I have heard it. I have loved the vdH Colibri in several specific systems in which I have heard it. The vdH Colibri remains a conundrum for my ears and my personal sonic preferences.)

I keep telling each of my friends in the Los Angeles audio group and the Long Beach audio group that I really want each of them to hear this optical cartridge system for himself to provide us with additional opinions.

*I tend to not use the term "musicality" myself, as I find it to not have inherent and widely-agreed meaning -- but I think I know what you mean by the term. I think "musicality" is even a more difficult term to define than the term "natural."

Last edited:
Reactions: Audio Addict

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Even in Jonathan Valin’s review, he talked about many different positive attributes and mentioned at least 15 different positive traits but if you go back and read the review again, not once did he use the word musicality. For me, musicality is probably one of the most, if not THE most important attribute I must have in a piece of gear. If a piece of gear isn’t musical, it’s a deal breaker.

If you map the absence of an adverb (or any other word) in a review to the presence or absence of some quality or characteristic of the review subject, you're on your own.

*I tend to not use the term "musicality" myself, as I find it to not have inherent and widely-agreed meaning -- but I think I know what you mean by the term. I think "musicality" is even a more difficult term to define than the term "natural."

"Musicality" may be my least favorite word for audio or tied with the word "slam".

I take "musicality" to mean either a) "it sounds like music", or b) "I like it." Otherwise it is largely an uninformative word. Trying to define it seems a waste of time. There is no hidden meaning that unlocks a door to enlightenment. It does have a certain lilting quality when spoken which may be its primary attraction. It is a word whose users say "well I know what it means when I say it."

Reactions: Ron Resnick

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
If you map the absence of an adverb (or any other word) in a review to the presence or absence of some quality or characteristic of the review subject, you're on your own.

"Musicality" may be my least favorite word for audio or tied with the word "slam".

I take "musicality" to mean either a) "it sounds like music", or b) "I like it." Otherwise it is largely an uninformative word. Trying to define it seems a waste of time. There is no hidden meaning that unlocks a door to enlightenment. It does have a certain lilting quality when spoken which may be its primary attraction. It is a word whose users say "well I know what it means when I say it."
Though strangely Tim it might just imply a more central and original meaning and purpose to this wonderful hobby if the systems we create can serve musicality and the core purpose of connecting us to music rather than rocking our faberge eggs off over the sounds and the other distractions that systems can present.

I am sitting here tonight enjoying the system I have not just because it makes it easier to differentiate between recordings (which is for me great but also of also lesser importance) but rather because I believe it makes it easier for me to hear the music and to understand the differences in the musician’s artistry and in musical performances. To just simply more easily hear that the structure and approach that Bruno Walter brings to Mahler’s Resurrection symphony is more taut and restrained than Kubelik’s. There is a different more austere grace and just a less overt poetry. I love both conductors in Mahler but the system is so coherent and aligned with the flow of music it then conveys to me all expression easier than any other system I have had. It delivers me past the sound and to the music more easily. The appreciation of music and artistry is simply better conveyed by the system creating less distraction of noise and somehow by keeping me in tune with the signal and more centrally within the grasp of a more direct musical connection. It’s the immediate inherent tunefulness, the flow and then in me the corresponding stillness that the movement and energy of the music instills. Musical connection.. it is the alchemy and I am in the alembic :eek:

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone purchased a DS Audio cartridge since we started this thread?

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Has anyone purchased a DS Audio cartridge since we started this thread?
Yes I have a DS Audio Grand Master cartridge purchased! I’m going to demo the EMM-Labs EQ1 with it, and will also have a DS-E1 in house at the same time for comparison. Likely install date in a few weeks. Will post impressions once installed.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes I have a DS Audio Grand Master cartridge purchased! I’m going to demo the EMM-Labs EQ1 with it, and will also have a DS-E1 in house at the same time for comparison. Likely install date in a few weeks. Will post impressions once installed.
Excellent! Please keep us closely posted!

Reactions: GMKF and gds7368

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I also heard the DS Grand Master and EMM combo recently (likely in the same system you did @Ron Resnick ), and I was very impressed. We didn't do extensive comparisons but had been listening to a Dyna XV-1S previously. The DS-EMM chain immediately showed a lower noise floor, more clarity, and, especially, more detail and precision in the bass. Again, I didn't have time to do any extensive back and forth--though my very generous host certainly would've indulged me--so I can't talk about potential downsides to the DS-EMM. (And I probably haven't heard enough other $$$ carts to have an opinion anyway.) But color me impressed and intrigued.

I wonder if the other DS optical carts also impress at their price points. I'm certainly looking into them now.

Last edited:

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Jeffrey_t

The DS Audio Grand Master optical cartridge retails for $15,000.00. The matching two chassis power supply/eq has a retail price of $45,000.00. Therefore the.total cartridge system sells for an eye watering price of $60,000.00!

DS Audio was very clever. They designed it so that any cartridge can be used with any power supply/eq. So, just as an example, you could buy the Grand Master cartridge at $15,000.00 and use it with one of their mid level power supply/eq’s to get started. My local dealer has on display a Grand Master cartridge with their $8500.00 power supply. Doing it this way would allow you to upgrade the power supply as funds become available.

Best regards
Scot

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Why use Grand Master with emm labs instead DS Master 1 phono?
Price is similar and could be Master 1 phono a better sinergy

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I'm afraid I don't know. The DS/EMM combo was just what my host (and Ron's, I'm guessing) happened to have. At some point, I'll ask him why the EMM rather than the DS stage.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hi Jeffrey_t

The DS Audio Grand Master optical cartridge retails for $15,000.00. The matching two chassis power supply/eq has a retail price of $45,000.00. Therefore the.total cartridge system sells for an eye watering price of $60,000.00!

DS Audio was very clever. They designed it so that any cartridge can be used with any power supply/eq. So, just as an example, you could buy the Grand Master cartridge at $15,000.00 and use it with one of their mid level power supply/eq’s to get started. My local dealer has on display a Grand Master cartridge with their $8500.00 power supply. Doing it this way would allow you to upgrade the power supply as funds become available.

Best regards
Scot
Yes they were very clever, create a cartridge that requires it's own power supply. Incremental purchase from the beginning and more loyalty from the consumer over the long run.

scericson

Sep 11, 2018
Are different tonearm attributes more or less important with a photo phono cart?

I owned the W2 version and was very impressed with the sound. It was the apparent fragility that ended my DS Audio period. I have been a vinyl spinner for 40 years and never broken a stylus until the W2, then 3 in one year at $3,000 each. I would need some evidence of a more robust construction or a less expensive repair to go back.

theophile

Ken Kessler refers to the Grand Master cartridge in his review of the Soundsmith Strain Gauge:

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Scericson, why should be the DS Audio cartridges fragile? What is too weak in your opinion? What had exactly happened that you have damaged them 3 times in following?

I would like to second the question for matching tonearms. What do you think of the 14” Kuzma 4Point?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
IMG_20190511_135717.jpg

IMG_20190511_135755.jpg

IMG_20190511_135859.jpg

This thread reminded me of the Zellaton Room at Munich 2019.

I ended up spending quite a bit of time in here. I decided I really liked the speakers, but that the value for money was poor.

Having heard DS Audio cartridges at shows before a few times, this was the source that made me think again about DS Audio. I'd basically written them off in my head because of the poor linearity above 10K. I'd be really interested to think what a 15 year old would make of one with a disk with a lot of prominent HF. Even the Grand Master is up about 4DB at 20Hz, which is better than the rest of the range.

Having read Ken Kessler's April 2021 review of the Grand Master, and compared to Ron's description, I find Ron's comments to really hit the spot where Ken IMHO has failed to isolate the salient aspects of what makes these cartridges sound different.

Admittedly this was only the Master 1, but it definitely falls in line with the sort of experience Ron has had with the Grand Master.

I'm not really enthusiastic about vinyl in the year 2021, and I rarely play it these days. But I appreciate many people still love it.

Still, this was a great system. It's just a shame they seemed to have that same piece of vinyl playing most of the time.

The drivers used in the Zellaton are, in my opinion, top notch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Ron, would this be your friends system that you listened to the DS Audio cartridge on? See here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing