DS Audio Grand Master + EMM Labs DS-EQ1

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Do you remember the exact price at that time, by any chance?
My frame of reference is unfair to conventionally marketed loudspeakers.

I just remember looking it up at the time, and thinking are these speakers really any better than my built to my spec Apogee Duettas?

I was biased towards this Zellaton design, at least I think so, because of the drivers, that, in my opinion, show some of the positive traits of a well built planar magnetic speaker.

So, no, I don't remember that exact cost but I know it is multiples more than my Duettas cost.

My speakers aren't really commercial offerings. More an expression of curiosity of what can be achieved if you make a pair of Apogees to a level of quality far better the OEM ever achieved.

I felt that the DS Audio cartridge was exposed by the Zellaton's as an entity that displayed less apparent distortion than traditional MC designs. In other words, the speakers showed just how good the analogue front end was.

What that is actually worth to someone can only be quantified by their own experience and beliefs.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
My frame of reference is unfair to conventionally marketed loudspeakers.

Well, it still does matter. One of the most interesting and beautiful things in the audio world is how people can perceive the same things differently and still be right at the same time. Gathering and understanding all the perspectives is the key in the pursuit of success, I believe. You actually wrote it by yourself:
What that is actually worth to someone can only be quantified by their own experience and beliefs.
and I would just add - "and it's great to observe the variety of them"

Thank you for sharing your thoughts ;)

Reactions: Zero000

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In the DS AUDIO Grand Master Top Of The Line Optical Phono Cartridge Review by Ken Kessler and Paul Miller in ”HiFi News” Magazine (January 2021) a +4.3dB boost at 20Hz is reported.

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 2.25.37 PM.png

I do not love that boost. 20kHz is high up there, but maybe this boost is responsible for some of the seeming transparency and open-ness of the sound of the Grand Master?

Dr Vinyl

VIP/Donor
Apr 19, 2020
drvinyl.net
I understand exactly how you feel ,this is a game changer. My impression is everything is transparent and Dynamic without being exaggerated .

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Either it sounds less good than previously thought ( experienced ) or the visual aid ( frequency response chart ) is less important than we think. :)

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Reactions: gds7368

battles

Dec 11, 2011
Hi Ron, et al. I’m on the verge of purchasing an Airtight Opus 1. However, one can’t help be intrigued by the enthusiasm the Grand Master has generated across some of the biggest analog enthusiasts in the audiophile community. By any chance do you now have the Grand Master in your system and have had the opportunity to grow more familiar with its sonic character and performance vs other flagship cartridges you own, especially the Opus 1? If so, I’d be grateful for your (or others’) comparison and whether you’d proclaim one a winner or both equally superb but just different. Thx again

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear battles,

No, unfortunately, my stereo system is still many months away from being set up. I have a dear friend who thinks it's four years away from being set up.

I am still planning to purchase an Opus 1 for a Bergmann Odin tonearm.

I have no present plans to purchase a DS Audio. I want to learn the listening impressions of other audiophiles whose ears I trust and listening preferences I understand to confirm or dispute my initial impressions of the DS Audio.

I want to listen again to the DS Audio to confirm for myself that it achieves all of the naturalness and musicality of cartridges like the Grado Epoch3 and the ZYX UNIverse Premium and the Opus1. In other words I want to make sure we are retaining what I like about those cartridges while reducing surface noise and improving transparency and channel separation.

Reactions: gds7368

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Why as long as 4 years to set up, Ron?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think he has no confidence in my ability to land this particular plane.

• Haha
Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, you've GOT to land the plane. A whole load of passengers, diamonds in the hold, but your fuel is running low...

battles

Dec 11, 2011
Thanks Ron…I had concluded from your earlier posts that you were a bit further along in your quest for musical nirvana and this piece of the puzzle had already been decided. However, I understand your desire for a few more data points. Clearly this is a bigger decision than most given the additional hardware required to make the Grand Master sing that likely has a shallow secondary market to the extent you weren’t happy after living with it. Being a known quantity, I think the Opus 1 is the safer decision for me. Thanks again and good luck with landing that plane :)!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

TLi

May 27, 2016
Ron, following your recommendation and a friend of mine recently bought the Grand Master, he also found it is the best cartridge system in his collection, I ordered a set, Grand Master cartridge and its phonostage.

They will be delivered next week. Looking forward to it. Enclosed a photo of my friend’s Grand Master.

Attachments

• F98B6FA5-0FE8-4B23-9C84-0F5A357224D4.jpeg
    F98B6FA5-0FE8-4B23-9C84-0F5A357224D4.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 67

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, following your recommendation and a friend of mine recently bought the Grand Master, he also found it is the best cartridge system in his collection, I ordered a set, Grand Master cartridge and its phonostage.

They will be delivered next week. Looking forward to it. Enclosed a photo of my friend’s Grand Master.

Great! That is very exciting! Congratulations! I will await eagerly your report!

(For the record please know that my very favorable impressions about the Grand Master were "initial impressions," and pending confirmation by others. There was always an open question about ultimate naturalness and "musicality." Please see Posts #43 and #70, above.)

Last edited:

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
Exciting news. It will be very interesting to hear what peoples thoughts will be.

I have been using the DS Grand Master for about 4 months. I continue to be amazed about the life it brings to vinyl (really any recording). I only listened to the DS audio phonostage for a short while. It’s bass was remarkable. The Emmlabs DS-EQ1 continues to perform beautifully. It’s amazing value.

I have had mostly music lovers listening for whatever reason. A friend who was a symphony violinist (granted a small symphony) thought it was the most natural reproduction of a violin he had ever heard.

Best of luck with the new purchases.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Dear battles,

No, unfortunately, my stereo system is still many months away from being set up. I have a dear friend who thinks it's four years away from being set up.

I am still planning to purchase an Opus 1 for a Bergmann Odin tonearm.

I have no present plans to purchase a DS Audio. I want to learn the listening impressions of other audiophiles whose ears I trust and listening preferences I understand to confirm or dispute my initial impressions of the DS Audio.

I want to listen again to the DS Audio to confirm for myself that it achieves all of the naturalness and musicality of cartridges like the Grado Epoch3 and the ZYX UNIverse Premium and the Opus1. In other words I want to make sure we are retaining what I like about those cartridges while reducing surface noise and improving transparency and channel separation.
Just out of curiosity Ron,
why is there such a significant disparity between the period you think you'd need to set up your system and what your friend suggests. A few months versus four years. Are you an incorrigible optimist?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am not at all an incorrigible optimist. I actually am a glass is "half empty" kind of person.

Jeff has observed how long it has taken us to get anything done, so he is assuming unforeseen delays will continue far into the future.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing