Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Reactions: advanced101

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I just got one in the mail.
Bought a brand new, sealed unit on E-bay for $125
Will try and report back
It seems to be working fine reducing static and dust.
This is not the best time to fully judge it, seems the humidity is fairly high now, unlike in a winter time.
Will wait and see.
831B79BF-B70B-4298-BF59-70C318372AF9.jpeg D1AD203F-53D3-46BA-A6B7-7113A7BB92E4.jpeg

Reactions: Lagonda and TLi

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Any impressions?

My impressions for the DS Audio Ionizer are positive. It does the job to neutralize and remove static electricity .It does give off a slight ozone smell .Overall it is not a necessary gadget for %99 of audiophiles to enjoy there music but for those %1 who clean there records and may use a Furutech Destat or Stat gun this would be another upgrade. In my room there is dust everywhere. Using a high power torch even a clean record soon gets covered in dust.So with the DS Audio Ionizer it is noticeable the dust is repelled during play. I wont be using it on every record I play but the times I listen to records for detail the lights are Green...
P.S I did buy mine used for half new price..
Stump

Reactions: CKKeung

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Why you don’t use for all records you play?
The DS Audio Ionizer has a 10,000 hour use before performance is halved.When playing backround music I don't see the need to use....

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
The cost is high in Italy,1.800 euro,and how to do after 10.000 hours?
Can you change some inside to replace or after 10.000 hour become useless?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Beautiful TT !

SPJ alba has an awesome sound too. First TT that zapped me and made me investigate analog. Till then I used to post like Al M

Reactions: gian60 and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
SPJ alba has an awesome sound too. First TT that zapped me and made me investigate analog. Till then I used to post like Al M
Yes Ked, and you considered Krell FPB 600 a good SS amp, i have been there too !;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes Ked, and you considered Krell FPB 600 a good SS amp, i have been there too !;)

The Krell FPB 600 (as well as the FPB750Mcx) was an excelllent SS amplifier - and still is, if it has the original or the adequate transistors and we replace the many tens of electrolytic capacitors. I would never buy one unless I was able to track it since first owner. Most FPB's currently being sold are junk!

I owned the FPB750Mcx with the SoundLab A1's for some time and it was a fantastic system - some of my audio friends preferred them the VTL MB750s in these speakers.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The Krell FPB 600 (as well as the FPB750Mcx) was an excelllent SS amplifier - and still is, if it has the original or the adequate transistors and we replace the many tens of electrolytic capacitors. I would never buy one unless I was able to track it since first owner. Most FPB's currently being sold are junk!

I owned the FPB750Mcx with the SoundLab A1's for some time and it was a fantastic system - some of my audio friends preferred them the VTL MB750s in these speakers.
I have owned 2 FPB 600c and one 700CX from new, they are good on electrostatics like Sound Lab or Martin Logan, but the treble is lacking and the lows a little deep bass focused on more resolving speakers. My repair guy, who used to service gear for the Scandinavian importer ( he is a Sound Lab owner himself) says, great specs but to much regulation. They where good for their time, but do not hold up to a modern top of the line SS amp. In my opinion, and with my own experience of coarse.;)

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Excuse me Sir,
But are you calling La Luce POS?
We got a problem then.
On a serious note, after going through quite a few TTs ( modified Technics SP II, Galibier Gavia, Verdier La Platine, Hanns, TechDas AF3), I feel no need to change SpJ La Luce at this juncture.
Obviously, I’m not saying it’s the best table ever, but it’s very satisfying.
I have to qualify my comment: I’m using it with Dereneville DAE-SP1 motor and HP 3116A linear PS, and this combo is a major step-up from stock SpJ thread drive.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Excuse me Sir,
But are you calling La Luce POS?
We got a problem then.
On a serious note, after going through quite a few TTs ( modified Technics SP II, Galibier Gavia, Verdier La Platine, Hanns, TechDas AF3), I feel no need to change SpJ La Luce at this juncture.
Obviously, I’m not saying it’s the best table ever, but it’s very satisfying.
I have to qualify my comment: I’m using it with Dereneville DAE-SP1 motor and HP 3116A linear PS, and this combo is a major step-up from stock SpJ thread drive.
I have never heard it, but i trust Ked’s ears. It is truly a piece of art !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have owned 2 FPB 600c and one 700CX from new, they are good on electrostatics like Sound Lab or Martin Logan, but the treble is lacking and the lows a little deep bass focused on more resolving speakers. My repair guy, who used to service gear for the Scandinavian importer ( he is a Sound Lab owner himself) says, great specs but to much regulation. They where good for their time, but do not hold up to a modern top of the line SS amp. In my opinion, and with my own experience of coarse.;)

Nice to know you have experience with SoundLab's. Surely we have better SS amps today, that perhaps are more adequate to our current preferences, and the Krells needed to be paired with adequate preamplfiers and speakers to avoid becoming bass heavy - they would show any deficiency in the speakers or room in this zone. But properly used they were able to play a wide range of music in a very musical way in variate conditions. BTW, as you probably remember, the 700cx and 750mcx revision addressed the treble balance.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Nice to know you have experience with SoundLab's. Surely we have better SS amps today, that perhaps are more adequate to our current preferences, and the Krells needed to be paired with adequate preamplfiers and speakers to avoid becoming bass heavy - they would show any deficiency in the speakers or room in this zone. But properly used they were able to play a wide range of music in a very musical way in variate conditions. BTW, as you probably remember, the 700cx and 750mcx revision addressed the treble balance.
They where better, and i paired them with KPS 25sc latest version both with cast cables and without like Dan intended. Compared to MBL 9011 in stereo(which i replaced them with) the FPB 700CX is congested in the treble, slow and focused on the deep bass instead of bass balance. I felt guilty for selling the FPB, it served me many years, but i was not even satisfied with its speed as a bass only amplifier on my sub-towers under 50hz. I traded it in with a friend of Gian who had the second MBL 9011 i needed. Now i just need to find 2 more :rolleyes: 63A637BD-EC26-4DBB-8EFD-38C9330207EA.png E67F5F20-25E8-478E-B8DF-AAEB1C965C53.png

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They where better, and i paired them with KPS 25sc latest version both with cast cables and without like Dan intended. Compared to MBL 9011 in stereo(which i replaced them with) the FPB 700MCX is congested in the treble, slow and focused on the deep bass instead of bass balance. I felt guilty for selling the FPB, it served me many years, but i was not even satisfied with its speed as a bass only amplifier on my sub-towers under 50hz. I traded it in with a friend of Gian who had the second MBL 9011 i needed. Now i just need to find 2 more :rolleyes: View attachment 66574 View attachment 66575

Oops, the 9011 are really big!

You have a very good point on the inadequacy of the FBP's for MBL's -at that time I tried them with the MBL 101c's and I was not happy at all, the Levinson ML23.5 sounded much better. However switching to the Sonus Faber Extrema reversed our conclusions about the amplifiers!

Most of the time our opinions on particular gear are due to a limited number of experiments we carry - it is why it is important to learn as much as possible about the whole system when reading reviews or opinions.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Oops, the 9011 are really big!

You have a very good point on the inadequacy of the FBP's for MBL's -at that time I tried them with the MBL 101c's and I was not happy at all, the Levinson ML23.5 sounded much better. However switching to the Sonus Faber Extrema reversed our conclusions about the amplifiers!

Most of the time our opinions on particular gear are due to a limited number of experiments we carry - it is why it is important to learn as much as possible about the whole system when reading reviews or opinions.
You are right whole system and cables used can make a big difference, as can size of room, especially when it comes to bass.
I never pass judgment on gear without having lived with it for an extended time. I was perfectly happy with Krell for many years and used it with dynamic speakers and a variety of electrostats but their gear of that time is to my ears more impressive sounding than musically. I compared with MBL for about a year, and my brother stil ownes FPB 700CX with KPS 25sc and i hear it regularly, i have only kept my KPS 25 sc, and use it as a drive only these days. It sounds dammed good with the Yggy 2, playing Fleetwood Mac live right now :)

Reactions: microstrip

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Today I tried this DS Ionizer from Italian distributor
When we switched off the Ionizer bass was little less controlled and high little less clear
Unbelievable

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing