DS Audio Ionizer

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Im lost Anthony. You hear no difference but yet you say "it works"

Can you elucidate

then later he wrote this....

The height should be alright. The manual says the distance between the surface of the platter and the bottom of the vent should be 5-20 cm. Mine is around 8 cm. To be honest, I never try to compare the sonic difference. Before using the ionizer, there is so much static every time I finish playing a record. After using it, there is no static. It definitely works as advertised.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I can certainly see the advantage of this unit in Hong Kong where there is so much static electricity heard

I am still trying to understand why MikeL called this magnetism and not static electricity as he stated. Im finding it difficult to understand that dust particles adhere to vinyl by magnetism and not static electricity

i asked my Phd in Physics son-in-law if he had any idea how this worked. he was then doing his post doc work at University of Chicago. he said he had seen tourmaline blowers used on len's of testing instruments to reduce the error rates in measurements. it was not about static, but about keeping dust particles from adhering to the lens.....i.e. magnetism. it eliminated the dust build up on the lens surface. as soon as you turned off the tourmaline guns the nano sized dust particles would return and the data was less accurate.

I remain skeptical about it being a universal application in audio

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I can certainly see the advantage of this unit in Hong Kong where there is so much static electricity heard

I am still trying to understand why MikeL called this magnetism and not static electricity as he stated. Im finding it difficult to understand that dust particles adhere to vinyl by magnetism and not static electricity

I remain skeptical about it being a universal application in audio

Steve, if you read my post you'd see that only LP's with barium as the heat stabilizer are affected by magnetism, but not all LP's do. But you're right de-ionizing has nothing to do with magnetism, and unless you live in a machine shop you probably won't get anything sticking that's metallic.

Reactions: Steve Williams

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Im lost Anthony. You hear no difference but yet you say "it works"

Can you elucidate
Steve,

I don’t think DS Audio advertise their inoizer to improve sound. My vinyl playback suffers from static no matter how many times I use anti-static brush to clean the vinyl. Every time I lift off LP from the platter, it has a lot of clicks. After using the ionizer, there are no more clicks when I lift LP from the platter. That’s what i mean it works. Furthermore, there are much less dust on the LP because it does not have static to attract dust particle.

I respect another people opinion saying it improves sound. I don’t think I hear any difference. I buy this NOT to improve sound. I buy this to cure static and it works.

Please check their videos on their website. The voltage induced during playback can be several thousand volts. That’s why I don’t use anti static gun. I don’t want to keep firing anti static gun to the LP during playback!

Reactions: Folsom

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Went to an audiophile gathering and tested the Vinyl Ionizer together with 3 LP friends last night.

One of them suffers from serious static on his turntable setup, similar to adyc.

This was the setup last night :

20191205_213134~2a.jpg
20191205_212605_HDR~2a.jpg

This turntable combo had zero static problem all along.
And all of us did notice other sonic effects : lowered noise floor and higher resolution.
For example, while listening to the Friday Night in San Fransico, we could "see" the strings and the harmonics from the guitar boxes much more clearly.
Our ears might be half-deaf/wooden, but all the four of us were able to notice the effect. Haha

Similar to many of the audiophile tweaks, please try to listen to it before buying one.
The effect/improvement may be or may not be obvious to individual audiophiles/their systems.

Reactions: howiebrou

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Everyone gets zap when walking to my rig and touch something. When I pull an lp out of the platter, sometimes the leather floor mat comes stick together with the lp. My normal routine is to finger touch my rack first every time I approach my rig then do whatever. It is no issue when you don't make it an issue imo.

Tang

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Everyone gets zap when walking to my rig and touch something. When I pull an lp out of the platter, sometimes the leather floor mat comes stick together with the lp. My normal routine is to finger touch my rack first every time I approach my rig then do whatever. It is no issue when you don't make it an issue imo.

Tang

I do the same thing. I still get zaps to the turntable. But that’s me who is charged. LP’s get ion treatment.

It’s winter now, so dryness comes. I run a humidifier to help. My dogs don’t understand when I shock them!

TLi

May 27, 2016
IMAG3114.jpg IMAG3113.jpg IMAG3115.jpg
Used DS Audio Ionizer for one week now, to be honest, I can't do without it.

The background is much quieter, the sound is smoother with it. I like to keep the green LED light off because the green LED tends to dim the sound, ie the light will tune down the treble a little. But the good thing is there is a dimmer on the ionizer to control the green LED. You can dial in any amount of green light to suit of preference. Very smart design.

The thing sounds better with a linear power supply and connect to a ground box. In my case, I use Entreq Tellus Silver. I am very satisfied with the result.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Believe it or not :

IMG-20200209-WA0017~2.jpg

Reactions: Stump

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
View attachment 59729 View attachment 59730 View attachment 59731
Used DS Audio Ionizer for one week now, to be honest, I can't do without it.

The background is much quieter, the sound is smoother with it. I like to keep the green LED light off because the green LED tends to dim the sound, ie the light will tune down the treble a little. But the good thing is there is a dimmer on the ionizer to control the green LED. You can dial in any amount of green light to suit of preference. Very smart design.

The thing sounds better with a linear power supply and connect to a ground box. In my case, I use Entreq Tellus Silver. I am very satisfied with the result.
What do you use to raise your ionizer?

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Living in Chicago, winter is brutal for static build up so I took a chance and purchased one awhile back. Finally had a free evening to try out mine and was very pleased. Records came off the platter with zero static charge, where as prior to the device the amount of static build up was very high. Definitely reduced the background noise and didn't notice any initial change in sound quality. Will have to sit down for a more formal evaluation vs just sitting back and listening for fun to see if there is a change in sound quality.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I am sold. That device won’t be leaving the house. Not a single zap anymore.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing