DSD Battle Royale!

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I agree, for the professional market certainly. But while Merging has a complete DAW solution, other ADC's and DAC's however contain the same chips. Ayer for one uses the ARDA AT1201 A/D Converter chip, and eXa E20 and E28 use the ESS 9018 configured to run at up to 12.288MHz sampling rate. And Merging itself is not far away from both the hardware and software support for the Emotion server/player.

As I mentioned above, the discrete component circuit DAC's have a difficult time running much faster than 5.6MHz due to parasitic inductance and capacitance of the layout.

If Pyramix ever finishes their Emotion server/player software and makes it into a product that offers Stereo and Multichannel DSD playback - and maybe even recording - for the Pro-Sumer and Audiophile markets, they could really have something! After hearing the Horus in action at Bruce's room at RMAF a few months back, I continue to watch these rumored developments with interest.

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
Adding to Bruce's library of DSD test and demo files, nativedsd.com has constructed a new label named Just Listen to house the site's labels sample files. These include tracks recorded natively at 256fs, 128fs, and 64fs DSD, with some also adding up and down converted DSD bit rate, and a few DXD.

The files are offered free of charge, just have to site register. They're intended to provide examples of advanced DSD bit rate new acoustic recordings, plus normal studio mastering practice file conversions for post processing, so listeners here may judge the affects with their own systems.

MLGrado

Mar 19, 2014
Hi,

"DSD Wide" is not PCM. It is a multi-bit (8) two level Pulse Density Modulation pulse stream, like 1-bit two level PDM, where there is still no quantized value ala PCM, but a 8-bit word based relative value from sample to sample like 1-bit two level PDM (DSD), where there is a binary relationship between the 8 bits. Therefore there is a binary weighted relationship between samples that is processable in a computer. Of course PDM has to operate at a much higher sampling rate than PCM, relative to the signal bandwidth, to allow enough samples to recognize the fastest transients. PCM is a frame/sample based system of 2's compliment binary format of actual amplitude values. It is MUCH less efficient than PDM due to all the redundant data carried from sample to sample, and therefore less resolution than PDM for the same data rate. It's the primary no one outside audio uses it.

It sounds like you are describing DSD-wide as DPCM, as opposed to LPCM? Either way, it is still PCM, but DPCM can encode equivalent information at less bits with higher sample rates. This is related to Delta modulation, but I don't think it technically qualifies as true multi-bit delta sigma.

An area of high concern for me with DSD-wide is the impulse response. I have the white paper, and have read it multiple times. 1 bit to multi-bit conversion is done with a FIR filter, not unlike what you will find in a typical Delta Sigma DAC. The difference is no sample rate decimation happens, only the digital filter that sums to multi-bit and low pass filters the signal.

My concern is that this filtering leaves its mark. Even though it is not decimated, it has an impulse response of around 96khz, which is very much PCM like. And there is 'gentle' frequency filtering applied in the conversion. I do not know the cutoff. I do have the tap/coefficient information. Some one much more knowledgeable than I could figure it out.

So in the end, you get filtering/ringing anyway, even if there is no actual decimation applied. It is possible, though, that this CAN be minimized with gentler filters that have better impulse response. But in the case of DSD-wide, that impulse response leaves me worried...

Thanks as always, though, Tom for your great work. All the above is purely academic. The bottom line is the results you guys get from your efforts to record in pure 1 bit speak for themselves. Great stuff!!

Andrew

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
For those of you that haven't done it and still want to listen to the files, please PM me your email address and I can send a link.

My new website SA doesn't like public ftp access! Go figure?? LOL

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
Bruce
Since the original 9/2013 shoot out of A to D processors, have you gotten anything new and is Grimm still at the top of the list? This was a great thread that you started.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce
Since the original 9/2013 shoot out of A to D processors, have you gotten anything new and is Grimm still at the top of the list? This was a great thread that you started.

I sold the Grimm after many head to head test with the Horus. The Horus is my primary A/D converter now and so far, nothing has gotten close. I still have my EMM Labs ADC8 IV for color and also the Tascam/Korg for portability.

I'm dying to try the new Playback Designs A/D converter. Nothing really new has come on the market lately.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I sold the Grimm after many head to head test with the Horus. The Horus is my primary A/D converter now and so far, nothing has gotten close. I still have my EMM Labs ADC8 IV for color and also the Tascam/Korg for portability.

I'm dying to try the new Playback Designs A/D converter. Nothing really new has come on the market lately.

Bruce,
Can you tell us what is the price of such unit?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce,
Can you tell us what is the price of such unit?

The Horus is just the same as the Hapi with just more slots. The base Horus is $5500 with each Premium I/O about $2700. So 8channel I/O with mic pre's will cost just north of $10k. The Horus can be outfitted with 32-channels of I/O.

I think the Hapi with 8-channel I/O in Premium mode is about $6.5k

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
I'm enroute in Amsterdam returning from Budapest where Channel Classics recorded the Budapest Festival Orchestra playing Mahler Symphony 3, recorded both with the Grimm AD1 at 64fs and the Horus at 256fs. The microphones and their placement used for each setup were very different, for the end product on the Grimm is a milti mic'ed commercial SACD, and the five mic multichannel is a purist surround recording.

The mics used for the Grimm were both DPA 4006's and Scheops both omni and cardioid, and the Horus DPA 4041's with 4006's for the sorrounds. The sonic differences were primarily mic selection and placement, but both very distinctive. Stunning is more like it.

We hope to have samples of both on NativeDSD soon, so you all can judge.

Tom

microTone

Nov 21, 2016
New technology in DSD256 Analog to Digital Converters (not ARDA chip):
RME ADI 2 PRO: DSD256 + 768 kHz PCM AD/DA, plus Sound It! Software for recording (AKM new chip)->https://twitter.com/SounReco/status/798740214235549696
Mytek Brooklyn ADC DSD256 in Stock (ESS new chip?)-> http://mytekdigital.com/storeus/index.php/professional/converters/brkl-adc-b.html
Playback Designs Pinot ADC (FPGA) DSD256 ->http://positive-feedback.com/audio-...-music-server-brief-notes-pinot-quad-dsd-adc/
Time for a new Battle is coming!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
New technology in DSD256 Analog to Digital Converters (not ARDA chip):
RME ADI 2 PRO: DSD256 + 768 kHz PCM AD/DA, plus Sound It! Software for recording (AKM new chip)->https://twitter.com/SounReco/status/798740214235549696
Mytek Brooklyn ADC DSD256 in Stock (ESS new chip?)-> http://mytekdigital.com/storeus/index.php/professional/converters/brkl-adc-b.html
Playback Designs Pinot ADC (FPGA) DSD256 ->http://positive-feedback.com/audio-...-music-server-brief-notes-pinot-quad-dsd-adc/
Time for a new Battle is coming!

I will be receiving the PD Pinot in just a couple of weeks. So far, only the Horus has been in the stable the longest, but time will tell!!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing