Dune (2020) / Directed by Denis Villeneuve ... Starring Timothee Chalamet

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The original was suppose to be 20 some hours long but Jodorowsky got turned down for countless desires for it. There’s even a documentary about it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is Zimmer single handedly keeping interest in classical music alive for under 50s?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Interesting question. For me, there is a golden trio in the contemporary film music domain: Zimmer, Morricone and Williams. Zimmer's integration of the electronic music sounds with traditional orchestral arrangements will adequately represent Dune's climate.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I missed out on the book earlier. I am going to read the book so I can hopefully enjoy the movie a bit more.

i am rereading it for like the 4th or 5th time in the lead up to this movie...although I grew up with the 1984 visuals so I am mildly disappointed with how it looks in the trailers...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Interesting question. For me, there is a golden trio in the contemporary film music domain: Zimmer, Morricone and Williams. Zimmer's integration of the electronic music sounds with traditional orchestral arrangements will adequately represent Dune's climate.

Just a duo now. Sob. RIP Ennio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
i am rereading it for like the 4th or 5th time in the lead up to this movie...although I grew up with the 1984 visuals so I am mildly disappointed with how it looks in the trailers...
Brad, nothing can beat the look and feel of Lynch's film. I am 200% a fan. The trailer is leaving me a bit underwhelmed.

Reactions: morricab

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For me the look was ok for the time meaning sets. Costumes for everybody but the Imperial Court which looked like they were borrowed from a Napoleonic war movie were good too. The 2000 SyFi costumes were ATROCIOUS!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Just a duo now. Sob. RIP Ennio

I should have specified a bit more. Zimmer, Morricone and Williams are, in my opinion, the three most talented music composers last two decades. Morricone's compositions are timeless, so in a way, he is always going to be around.

Also, based on the trailer, I noticed that the Sandworms' interpretation looks very different from the Lynch's adaptation. It does not seem like you could use their teeth as knives any more.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Timothee Chalamet better nail it as Paul. I really rated Kyle McLachlan in 1984...despite him saying he had no real direction from Lynch.
And...Toto versus Pink Floyd LOL. At least Villeneuve didn't pick Lady GaGa. Or Billie Eilish, God forbid.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Btw, for all those dissers of Dune 1984, its combination of absolute straight as a die acting, overblown/camp balance, pre digital special effects, and strong hints that it could run off the rails at anytime, make it the joy that it is from start to finish.

Like Coppola's Dracula, another film that somehow succeeded despite the director not really being in directorial control, Dune 1984 succeeds despite all the things that should make it fail.

I'm suspecting Dune 2020 will not feel camp at all. The test may come on how they recast Sting...WHAT an extended cameo THAT was 36 years ago.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Btw, for all those dissers of Dune 1984, its combination of absolute straight as a die acting, overblown/camp balance, pre digital special effects, and strong hints that it could run off the rails at anytime, make it the joy that it is from start to finish.

Like Coppola's Dracula, another film that somehow succeeded despite the director not really being in directorial control, Dune 1984 succeeds despite all the things that should make it fail.

I'm suspecting Dune 2020 will not feel camp at all. The test may come on how they recast Sting...WHAT an extended cameo THAT was 36 years ago.

You hit iit right on the head. Watching it again a few times, man, its akin to the guilty pleasure of watching a NASCAR race. They nail some scenes as though you were reading the book then the camp comes in. Rabban and his fake ginger hair . OMFG. LOL. He was acting like a cross between Mongo and Brando's hilarious version of Ruprecht. The mix of distinctly accented actors all coming from anywhere. Untentional comic relief The Steampunk vehicle designs that they probably copied for the flop Wild, Wild, West LOL

No, I don't expect 2020 to have much camp besides maybe some Duncan Idaho antics. Not In these times. I'm certain they understand that the first two books is a parable warning against charismatic leaders because Herbert said it outright. The book is as timely as it can get. I see them following the central theme.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Yeah, this sort of gets to some of my caution about Villeneuve's take on Dune. He can be quite chilly in his approach. Quite straight-faced and, if one is being uncharitable, somewhat joyless. I think this works in Sicario, b/c we're being asked to take a real, global issue--the repercussions of the war on drugs, more or less--very seriously. Blade Runner 2049 is a fantasy world, something that we escape into, no matter how dark the fantasy. 2049 summons awe--Villeneuve, Deakins, and Zimmer do awe very well--but it's missing, I don't know, a certain funkiness, a certain wit or mischievousness.

The original Blade Runner is a perfectly imperfect movie. The plot doesn't hold up to a great deal of scrutiny and some of the dialogue is a bit hokey. (There's some great dialogue, too.) But Ridley Scott and crew brought a kind of expressionist quality, a kind of outsize, sometimes purely imagistic tilt to the shots. (I'm thinking of the glowing umbrellas in the rain.) There's even a fairytale aspect to the toymaker scenes. Ditto the Lynch Dune--not quite as successful as the original Blade Runner--but cranks up the bombast even more. (Witness every one of the Baron's speeches.) In contrast, Blade Runner 2049 seems to want to overwhelm us with scale and volume and the depth of Jared Leto's evil. It's meant to be the nightmare to the original's dream, if you will.

Another way to put this is that I'm afraid Villeneuve will present Dune too seriously. No, I don't want all of my sci-fi/fantasy done with a wink and a nod. But this is a story about magic dust and giant worms, etc. It can't be presented with utmost severity and solemnity. It needs a little looseness, a little funkiness. It can't be The Dark Knight, in other words. That felt fresh ten years ago. Now, I think, it's better to let a project like this breath a little.

Still, I remain optimistic that the new Dune will be excellent!

Reactions: JackD201

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm sure it will be excellent in many ways. And over three films, will have time to breathe and unwind. But just as FF Coppola's Dracula was a camp explosion of a movie that I can't see being excelled in any meaningful way, Dune 1984 feels the same.

Then again, I also love Flash Gordon 1980.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Jacobs, Jodorowsky, Scott and Lynch already gave Dune their best shot. I hope that Villeneuve gets enough spice melange to expand his consciousness to create this adaptation epic.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wish wee were able to watch it in the theatres but cinemas aren't allowed to operate here yet. I still enjoyed it on a tablet though.

Part 2 Greenlit for October 2023. :D

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I saw it on the big screen last weekend. I loved the first part, but then it slowed down a lot. I feel like you could squeeze the second half in 20 mins. However, when it comes to the cinematography, it was a masterpiece.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Since they now introduced that eye rolling to the back of the head for Mentats, I wonder if they will have Kwizat Paul roll back his big blues too. I will be very disappointed if they don't.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I saw it on the big screen last weekend. I loved the first part, but then it slowed down a lot. I feel like you could squeeze the second half in 20 mins. However, when it comes to the cinematography, it was a masterpiece.
Have you read the books?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing