Dune (2020) / Directed by Denis Villeneuve ... Starring Timothee Chalamet

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Have you read the books?
Many times...perhaps why I am not dying to see it...I know it too well already I loved Blade Runner 2049 though by him...great sequel.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Many times...perhaps why I am not dying to see it...I know it too well already I loved Blade Runner 2049 though by him...great sequel.
Everything Denis touches is gold: Prisoners, Arrival, Blade Runner.......Dune is just as good.

Reactions: MTB Vince

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I read them a long time ago. I feel like in the 2021 adaptation the dialogues are more direct than in the book. I am happy that they omitted much of what was going on in the book to keep the storyline clear and consistent.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I'm rereading the book now while waiting for the Blue Ray release.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Just back from seeing it on the BIG screen with Dolby Atmos and it’s stunning Both visually and aurally, best cinema sound I’ve heard.
Didn‘t feel like 160 mins long and just moves along at a great pace. I don’t understand people saying it was confusing but I’ve not read the book or seen the other version in full. I rank it up there with Avatar, Arrival and 2001.

Blue58

Reactions: jeff1225

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Just back from seeing it on the BIG screen with Dolby Atmos and it’s stunning Both visually and aurally, best cinema sound I’ve heard.
Didn‘t feel like 160 mins long and just moves along at a great pace. I don’t understand people saying it was confusing but I’ve not read the book or seen the other version in full. I rank it up there with Avatar, Arrival and 2001.

Blue58
Totally agree. Saw it yesterday in NYC. Excellent cinematography, casting, acting, directing...everything!! Didn;t look at my watch once! As far as Timothy Chalumet, i didn't particular like him in 2017's Call Me By Your Name for which he was nominated for an Oscar, but he's riveting here. No doubt he will have a long and successful career.

Only one thing I don't get about Dune, The year is 10,000+ something. So let me see if I got it right. In all the fight and battle scenes where thousands are engaged in hand to hand combat, everyone uses knives and swords. WTF? Nobody ever heard of a gun 8000 years in the future? I guess some sort of ban on firearms occurred in the late 21st century that must have persisted for thousands of years into the future. You might want to buy a few shipments of AK-47's now and keep them in storage for a few millennia. You'll make a fortune!!

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
A bit too simplified and quick, making it more of a main stream 'shoot end kill' movie. Beautifully shot, though.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Totally agree. Saw it yesterday in NYC. Excellent cinematography, casting, acting, directing...everything!! Didn;t look at my watch once! As far as Timothy Chalumet, i didn't particular like him in 2017's Call Me By Your Name for which he was nominated for an Oscar, but he's riveting here. No doubt he will have a long and successful career.

Only one thing I don't get about Dune, The year is 10,000+ something. So let me see if I got it right. In all the fight and battle scenes where thousands are engaged in hand to hand combat, everyone uses knives and swords. WTF? Nobody ever heard of a gun 8000 years in the future? I guess some sort of ban on firearms occurred in the late 21st century that must have persisted for thousands of years into the future. You might want to buy a few shipments of AK-47's now and keep them in storage for a few millennia. You'll make a fortune!!

In this universe' future they developed personal shield technology that rendered projectile weapons obsolete. These shields also react to lasers by going nuclear if they meet. With the shields a fast attack is repelled but a slow moving object can get through. The art of combat then is quick defense, smooth offense. So guns are still present but used only by "primitive" folks like the Fremen where a gun figures in the last few scenes of Part 1 where Paul gets a hold of one but Channi says thee would't have let him fire it. :)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
In this universe' future they developed personal shield technology that rendered projectile weapons obsolete. These shields also react to lasers by going nuclear if they meet. With the shields a fast attack is repelled but a slow moving object can get through. The art of combat then is quick defense, smooth offense. So guns are still present but used only by "primitive" folks like the Fremen where a gun figures in the last few scenes of Part 1 where Paul gets a hold of one but Channi says thee would't have let him fire it. :)
Excellent. Thanks Jack. Somehow I missed that in the movie.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Shields make projectile weapons obsolete. Only slow weapons can get through the shields like correctly timed attacks with knives and swords. Laser weapons exist as well (Lasguns) but they are not commonly used because interactions with shields can create Nuclear weapons levels of explosions from the interactions (according to the book).

The year is actually 10161 AG (after Guild). The real time is more than 25,000 years from now. What is interesting is that on Dune the shields are not very effective due to the sand storms. Baron Harkonnen uses artillery to trap the remnants of Duke Leto's army in caves. He considers this a stroke of genius because no one considers projectile weapons (even big explosive ones) a valid way to fight in that era and he revives it due to the local situation on Arrakis. This is probably not shown in the movie.

Also, the Fremen have some kind of projectile weapons that they use (called Maula pistols) in the book because shields in the desert are useless.

Since the Sardukar know that in the desert it is largely unshielded they go crazy (again in the book...haven't seen this version of the movie yet) with Lasguns and launch a pogrom to obliterate the Fremen. The Fremen use some tricks with shields to fight back by planting one where it is likely to be set off by a lasgun to kill a bunch of Sardaukar (again in the book).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
A bit too simplified and quick, making it more of a main stream 'shoot end kill' movie. Beautifully shot, though.
THey tried a mini-series for this but it was too low budget and not that interesting. If Denis could have done it...

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
The Syfy production of children of dune is very good with a decent budget and great cast.
the new film adaption is superb and flew by. The second part has been approved to be made which hasn’t always been true for “first parters”

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

Dune is set in the year 10191. Before that the humanity waged an epic war for survival against A.I. called the Butlerian Jihad (as it was a holy war led by a woman named Serena Butler). To avoid this mistake people resigned from any sort of AI and ingested Spice to expand their own mental capacities to serve as human computers called “Mentats.” Thufir Hawat and Piter de Vries are two such beings. Paul received Mentats training too btw, but it is not mentioned in the film.

Shields (either personal shields, or those used to protect ships/buildings) are basically forcefields. They will stop anything fast, but are vulnerable to slow objects. Hence, maula pistols or other rifles are ineffective. Only a slow-moving, close blade or a slow-moving dart can penetrate the shield. In fact, a lot of sword/knife fighting is ineffective, unless the fighters slow their weapons down to penetrate the shield - otherwise it will bounce off.

There are some guns in Dune, but not many. They are sometimes used by Fremen a) because they are not that technologically advanced b) as the shields are not working properly on Arrakis due to excess of sand.

Reactions: Lagonda and HenryD

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
That's the thing, without all the inner plots and reasoning, it's just another Star Wars (well, better, but still)...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Yes its the shields that have removed the effectiveness of personal projectile weapons.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Dune is set in the year 10191. Before that the humanity waged an epic war for survival against A.I. called the Butlerian Jihad (as it was a holy war led by a woman named Serena Butler). To avoid this mistake people resigned from any sort of AI and ingested Spice to expand their own mental capacities to serve as human computers called “Mentats.” Thufir Hawat and Piter de Vries are two such beings. Paul received Mentats training too btw, but it is not mentioned in the film.

Shields (either personal shields, or those used to protect ships/buildings) are basically forcefields. They will stop anything fast, but are vulnerable to slow objects. Hence, maula pistols or other rifles are ineffective. Only a slow-moving, close blade or a slow-moving dart can penetrate the shield. In fact, a lot of sword/knife fighting is ineffective, unless the fighters slow their weapons down to penetrate the shield - otherwise it will bounce off.

There are some guns in Dune, but not many. They are sometimes used by Fremen a) because they are not that technologically advanced b) as the shields are not working properly on Arrakis due to excess of sand.
Thanks for that information. I am a Dune dodo. Totally forgot anything I thought I knew years ago from the book and movie.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks for that information. I am a Dune dodo. Totally forgot anything I thought I knew years ago from the book and movie.
Honestly, I was kind of surprised I remembered those things. It's funny how you sometimes store so much of utterly irrelevant information, but you cannot remember what your wife told you to get in the store 20 minutes before.

Reactions: Lagonda and marty

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing