DYI Open-Baffle Speakers - is it hard to do?

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
An major audio reviewer visited Nelson Pass’s home and loved Nelson’s homemade Open-Baffle Speakers. I got a list of speaker transducers and crossover components but have no idea if I’ve enough ability or need help to construct.

Although I’m a fairly intellectual analytical guy, my knowledge of electronics is very rudimentary/non-existent.

Online research was fruitless - all I get when researching how to set up crossovers is subwoofer integration.

1) Is DIY Open-Baffle Speakers beyond just mounting on boards, wiring and fittings, adjusting the crossover, or...?

2) Is it difficult to set the crossover?

3) Should I try to get guidance/help especially with setting crossover?

Reactions: L3RD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
An major audio reviewer visited Nelson Pass’s home and loved Nelson’s homemade Open-Baffle Speakers. I got a list of speaker transducers and crossover components but have no idea if I’ve enough ability or need help to construct.

Although I’m a fairly intellectual analytical guy, my knowledge of electronics is very rudimentary/non-existent.

Online research was fruitless - all I get when researching how to set up crossovers is subwoofer integration.

1) Is DIY Open-Baffle Speakers beyond just mounting on boards, wiring and fittings, adjusting the crossover, or...?

2) Is it difficult to set the crossover?

3) Should I try to get guidance/help especially with setting crossover?

Not heard any but there are guys on audio circle and DIY forum with some excellent drivers who own them. All you need apart from the drivers seems to be a plane of wood cut to certain length and breadth with a slit in the middle. And borrow someone's crossover to start with. Assembling it should be simple but best you should visit some people who own them, as different drivers and crossovers will lead to very different sounds, and you should build the one you like the sound of

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Not heard any but there are guys on audio circle and DIY forum with some excellent drivers who own them. All you need apart from the drivers seems to be a plane of wood cut to certain length and breadth with a slit in the middle. And borrow someone's crossover to start with. Assembling it should be simple but best you should visit some people who own them, as different drivers and crossovers will lead to very different sounds, and you should build the one you like the sound of
Getting the bass right is a challenge...

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I watched a video last month where I think it was the manufacturer of an L-Baffle speaker explain the room loading differences for bass with open baffle. In short, no great disparity of pressure as with sealed boxes (he hated ports even more), so loading was more natural and akin to live instruments.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

In this design you can load a lot of woofers facing each other across the slit, so you can get a lot of natural bass. People have done as much as 8 to 16 pairs of woofers.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Sounded like bonzo75 has seen this specific design, so I did an image search.

A Pinterest image was sourced from an article, and it is for all to see if you follow the link below.

The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project
Article By Nelson Pass

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0911/slot_loaded_open_baffle_speaker.htm
REAR.jpg SYSTEM.jpg

If I were to try and make this with my own twist, I'd make it out of polycarbonate or acrylic so that I could see through it (and edge light it with LED's).

And also add a dipolar supertweeter, a ribbon or EMIT at the top for greater sense of air.

Don't get me wrong, I bet they look and sound great "as is", but I want to have just as much fun as the master.

EDIT:

Other opposing woofers like this I've seen do not have the back plate closing it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
@kach22i
When Stereophile's Herb Reichert visited famous amplifier designer Nelson Pass's home, he loved the sound of Nelson's open baffle speakers: https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-26-nelson-pass-harmonic-distortion-page-2

So I'm wondering if I got a list of the driver and crossover components, can I get close to constructing/duplicating Nelson's speakers? I'm more interested in owning than building.

My expertise lies along a analytical/logical home handyman with Youtube (future) skillset. My electronics background is limited to handheld flashlight electrical schematics and a handful of electronic symbol recognition (resistors, capacitors...). So I'm trying to gauge, Can I do it? Can I do it with further knowledge and/or assistance? Am I better off hiring someone to build for me?

Also, for speakers I was told, "Easy to get frequency response even but difficult to get phase response" - I'm not sure what this means/entails.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@kach22i
When Stereophile's Herb Reichert visited famous amplifier designer Nelson Pass's home, he loved the sound of Nelson's open baffle speakers: https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-26-nelson-pass-harmonic-distortion-page-2

So I'm wondering if I got a list of the driver and crossover components, can I get close to constructing/duplicating Nelson's speakers? I'm more interested in owning than building.

My expertise lies along a analytical/logical home handyman with Youtube (future) skillset. My electronics background is limited to handheld flashlight electrical schematics and a handful of electronic symbol recognition (resistors, capacitors...). So I'm trying to gauge, Can I do it? Can I do it with further knowledge and/or assistance? Am I better off hiring someone to build for me?

Also, for speakers I was told, "Easy to get frequency response even but difficult to get phase response" - I'm not sure what this means/entails.

You will be able to build it, but you will never be able to guess what driver and crossover combination to use unless you hear a few yourself.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sounded like bonzo75 has seen this specific design, so I did an image search.

A Pinterest image was sourced from an article, and it is for all to see if you follow the link below.

The Slot Loaded Open Baffle Project
Article By Nelson Pass

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0911/slot_loaded_open_baffle_speaker.htm
View attachment 66500 View attachment 66501

If I were to try and make this with my own twist, I'd make it out of polycarbonate or acrylic so that I could see through it (and edge light it with LED's).

And also add a dipolar supertweeter, a ribbon or EMIT at the top for greater sense of air.

Don't get me wrong, I bet they look and sound great "as is", but I want to have just as much fun as the master.

EDIT:

Other opposing woofers like this I've seen do not have the back plate closing it off.
Interesting, I have seen/heard something like this before but not with so many woofers (instead bigger woofers). I remember being fairly impressed with the sound but this was a long time ago now. The more standard way of doing the OB design with a couple of big woofers on the front also can work well but needs either a really wide baffle or side cheeks to help reduce midbass cancellation.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I could work with the vertical bass slot as a design element and continue the slot upward with open ribbons.

This would in affect look like two slimmer panels.

As far as crossovers and the like, I've avoided them in my prototypes. Just used a cap to protect the tweeter and ran the mid/woofer full range. Then used an L-pad to balance the tweeter output. Subwoofer added as part of a 3-piece system is perhaps easier to execute.

If your heart is set on adding electronics to your signal, there are published designs out there. Perhaps modifying one of those designs into the Pass configuration will work.

As I read the article, bass front and aft of the baffle was near equalized 9 feet out at listening position and starting to cancel each other out.

Is this what you want?

Could be worse I guess.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
From 2015 more Slot Loaded Open Baffle (SLOB).

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/open-baffle-epiphany.566879/page-56
The slot loaded woofer used by Mr. Pass is an Eminence 4015LF. PE's price is $225 each. It's 96 dbs which means it won't require massive power.

$225 X 12 = $2,700

I read somewhere that with conventional box speakers the enclosures are 75 percent of the costs.

So at least you save on most of that, plus the time.

EDIT:

I'm surfing through that AK thread above that I posted, and someone mentions a speaker I never heard of before. So different that I have to share.

http://www.vintagehificlub.com/quot...near/attachment/phase-linear-andromeda-iii-2/
phase-linear-andromeda-III-2.jpg

More images here:
https://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Speakers-Full-Range/Phase-Linear/Andromeda-III/30588

Better looking with clothes on.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/phase-linear/andromeda-iii.shtml
phase_linear_andromeda_iii.jpg

A Bob Carver design that last link says in the comments section.

EDIT-2:

Gotta love the $50 kitchen cabinet door speaker.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154866.0

Last edited:
Reactions: MRJAZZ

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Guess I’ll postpone this DIY speaker project until I get more knowledge/experience, which leads to:

How did you get your knowledge on building speakers?

Any suggestions on how I can increase my knowledge to the point on being able to build these open baffle speakers?

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Guess I’ll postpone this DIY speaker project until I get more knowledge/experience, which leads to:

Any suggestions on how I can increase my knowledge to the point on being able to build these open baffle speakers?
Not sure if you have been directed to linkwitz site
Read that first
Then look up diyaudio .. heaps of knowledgeable folks ... this guy being one of them
http://gainphile.blogspot.com/?m=1

Dont get fixated on slot loaded baffle and dont try to do a passive xover
It's a steep learning curve
P

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

You have to listen to a few to know what type of drivers you like, then understand the cross over. It's best to physically meet people who have done this, understand, see differences in their system. You will have to be patient till the virus eases and you can visit people

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
I agree with the suggestion to visit the Linkwitz website. It's an education. Also, Nelson Pass is famous for being friendly and helpful to DIYers. If you just ask him he might well send you a parts list and crossover schematic. You shouldn't borrow someone else's crossover unless it's for use with identical speakers. Speakers are very idiosyncratic.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
First of all, you need to tell us how big is the room that you plan to place speakers in.
Open baffles take up space at the back of the wall to play well.
second up to which frequency in the bass play physical it goes up to about 30Hz. deeper becomes difficult you can only rectify electronically(dsp)mostly sounds very modest.
In order to get the right bass up to the resonance frequency of the bass chassis, only those with a higher than Qts 0.8 are possible.
With smaller values there is too much level loss in the bass. which can only be picked up again on DSP.
So first find the right chassis then it goes to the baffle.
Do you want the speakers to work completely as a dipole also in the tweeter? Then there are two options a horn driver that can be opened at the back, or a foil tweeter like AMT.
Question after question ... here are a few chassis I can recommend - they work very well.
B&C de250 Horndriver really good near TAD you need no Frequency Correction
From 2khz-19 khz my Driver needs Lpad resistors and capacitor 12dB xover http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-Lpad.htm
For mids and upper bass
Alnico red ToneTubby 12"woofer16 Ohm works from 70hz -2khz really good near 100db needs no xover. Look at specs
For Bass a Ripol is best and easy Option.30hz to 80hz with active xover
amplifer modul Class D small and lot of power.
SubRStRipol.jpg
Exsample like this
3.jpg

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
From 2015 more Slot Loaded Open Baffle (SLOB).

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/open-baffle-epiphany.566879/page-56

$225 X 12 = $2,700

I read somewhere that with conventional box speakers the enclosures are 75 percent of the costs.

So at least you save on most of that, plus the time.

EDIT:

I'm surfing through that AK thread above that I posted, and someone mentions a speaker I never heard of before. So different that I have to share.

http://www.vintagehificlub.com/quot...near/attachment/phase-linear-andromeda-iii-2/
View attachment 66550

More images here:
https://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Speakers-Full-Range/Phase-Linear/Andromeda-III/30588

Better looking with clothes on.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/phase-linear/andromeda-iii.shtml
View attachment 66552

A Bob Carver design that last link says in the comments section.

EDIT-2:

Gotta love the $50 kitchen cabinet door speaker.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154866.0
The Andromeda III ( a Bob Carver design) was a very interesting speaker back in the day....definitely could compete with the better “ panel, dipole “ speakers than (“Maggie’s”, etc.), and with much better dynamics’s.....Was a very interesting design for it’s time...
Cheers.....

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The Andromeda III ( a Bob Carver design) was a very interesting speaker back in the day....definitely could compete with the better “ panel, dipole “ speakers than (“Maggie’s”, etc.), and with much better dynamics’s.....Was a very interesting design for it’s time...
Cheers.....
Just a suggestion, but there is a vintage section of the forum.

So it's not lost to the winds of time, maybe a more complete review of speakers we may never be able to hear in person because they no longer exist?

I'm sure it is more than fair criticism to dispute accuracy of 30-40-50 year old memories, but it could be a fun exercise for some to jog their own memory.

If I live another 40 years and make it to 100, will any of the young folk care to hear the old man go on about those ancient internal combustion engines that spewed filth into the air?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing