ECM Thread

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have a rather large ECM collection and I'm going to share a few of the best albums I have.. The lable has an amazing group of artists. A few of my favorites Keith Jarret, Eberhard Webber, Jack De Johnette, chick Corea, Jan Garbarek and Pat Metheny. The side men are equally as good with players such as Jon Christianson (drums), Paul Motian (drums) Charlie Haden (bass), and Gary Peacock (bass) The music is produced by the visionary Manfred Eicher and the fidelity is superb.

The music is fusion, atmospheric jazz and modern classical.
3CED921D-9CD2-43CC-BFDC-D0B70868F77A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I have a rather large ECM collection and I'm going to share a few of the best albums I have.. The lable has an amazing group of artists. A few of my favorites Keith Jarret, Eberhard Webber, Jack De Johnette, chick Corea, Jan Garbarek and Pat Metheny. The side men are equally as good with players such as Jon Christianson (drums), Charlie Haden (Bass), and Gary Peacock (Horns.) The music is produced by the visionary Manfred Eicher and the fidelity is superb.

The music is fusion, atmospheric jazz and modern classical.
View attachment 48891
I fully agree with all you said above.
I also have a lot of ECM. Most on server and lot of cd’s. I prefer the earlier vinyl above recent vinyl of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Great thread idea. I really dig Nik Bartsch:

Me too :). I have been to this ^ acoustical concert of them, awesome!
Their best performance from the last 3 concerts of them i have been to.

I prefer the 24bit/96k above the vinyl..

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
One of the first searches I did when I started my new Quboz streaming was ‘Ecm.’ Plenty there to listen to. Great stuff!

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Great thread idea. I really dig Nik Bartsch:

Saw and heard him last Monday in his home base, the Exil in Zurich.
Very nice guy, very nice and energetic concert :cool:

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
We have been last friday to this great concert of the Tord Gustavsen Trio in Amsterdam.
Not a very large room but a great atmosphere and good sound.

Tord Gustavsen Trio concert Amsterdam.jpg

I have two vinyl records and 7 cd's of them, all ECM.
Tord Gustavsen Trio records.jpg

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
One of my favourite labels! You can't go wrong with just about anything they put out in the mid-70s!
Some highlights (for me):

Eberhard Weber "The colors of Chloe" (or just about anything this guy did for ECM!)

Julian Priester "Love, Love" - this one's like a lost Herbie session from the early 70s. Amazing!

Terje Rypdal "Odyssey" - one of the most highly recognizable guitarrists in jazz - you know it's him even if he plays underwater :) Incredible session, long form spacey jamming. Word on the street is that there's tons more material like this he recorded in the studio and live, that's in the vaults. Hopefully this will eventually be released!

Reactions: lasercd

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
ECM is one of my favourite labels, have been collecting for some time now and have around 100 vinyl pressings. In no particular order here are a few of my favourites on vinyl

Zakir Hussain - Making Music
Eberhard Weber - Later that evening
Ralph Towner - Solstice
Pat Metheny - American Garage, this was my first ECM vinyl that I brought
Keith Jarrett - Koln concert, just an incredible recording
Dominic Miller - Silent Light
Nik Bartsch - Continuum

For the guys that use Tidal the whole catalogue is available in excellent quality and well worth checking out

Lee

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
ECM is one of my favourite labels, have been collecting for some time now and have around 100 vinyl pressings. In no particular order here are a few of my favourites on vinyl

Zakir Hussain - Making Music
Eberhard Weber - Later that evening
Ralph Towner - Solstice
Pat Metheny - American Garage, this was my first ECM vinyl that I brought
Keith Jarrett - Koln concert, just an incredible recording
Dominic Miller - Silent Light
Nik Bartsch - Continuum

For the guys that use Tidal the whole catalogue is available in excellent quality and well worth checking out

Lee
Hi Lee
Thanks for your recommendations :cool:
The same applies for Qobuz ;)

Reactions: Lee Henley

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
One of my absolutely favorite artists on ECM is Nana Vasconcelos, the Brazilian percussionist, vocalist and berimbau player. The music will transport you to another dimension.

Nana Vas.jpg
With the extremely talented Egberto Gismonti

Nana Vas 2.jpg

Reactions: robertocrudo1967

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If you like the pairing Nana + Egberto, look up Egberto's "Dança das Cabeças" album, from 1977.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Y
If you like the pairing Nana + Egberto, look up Egberto's "Dança das Cabeças" album, from 1977.

Yes this is an excellent album , another one of my Egberto favourites and one I play quite often is Sol Do Meio Dia, the musicians on this include Nana, Ralph Towner, Colin Walcott and Jan Garbarek, its well worth checking out

Reactions: christoph

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
I have little doubt that a significant percentage of audiophiles are ECM lovers. Myself - since the mid seventies.

Which begs the question, and perhaps someone on this forum will know the answer: what makes the ECM house sound? Microphones, specific hardware, recording techniques? Whether one likes it or not it is as unique as their musical selections.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
I have little doubt that a significant percentage of audiophiles are ECM lovers. Myself - since the mid seventies.

Which begs the question, and perhaps someone on this forum will know the answer: what makes the ECM house sound? Microphones, specific hardware, recording techniques? Whether one likes it or not it is as unique as their musical selections.

Yes this is a question I've thought about myself over the years of collecting their albums. I don't have the answers but one thing is is that they are consistent no matter what studio they use for the recording, perhaps they use specific microphones, I will have to look into this further myself.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes this is a question I've thought about myself over the years of collecting their albums. I don't have the answers but one thing is is that they are consistent no matter what studio they use for the recording, perhaps they use specific microphones, I will have to look into this further myself.

In the book Pat Metheny: The ECM Years, 1975-1984 the ECM house sound is referred, considering that it was not an artificial creation but a natural consequence of the choice of musicians and style of production.

But some people consider that, in general, ECM recordings are "non-natural" - most are close miking with some added reverberation. Perhaps because I listened to them a lot for decades I really appreciate their sound quality - my ECM recordings shelves are long ... Please do not forget to see our old WBF thread on ECM https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/any-ecm-records-fans-here.7972/

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
One of my favorite albums. I saw them live in the NYC village in 1979.

FD6BAA99-65FB-41DB-A5A6-1AD11CDCF87D.jpeg

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, the ECM recordings are absolutely studio creations, won't mistake them for "live". But that's the point, I guess. The studio/production being used as a vehicle for artistic expression. Nothing wrong with that, if you ask me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing