Electrical Power - Dedicated Runs

Sharok

Aug 11, 2019
No, my amp is an Anthem P5 (5 channel amp) which uses two power cords (120V maximum of 1800 watts per leg). My runs will be for 20 amp circuits with each circuit running a maximum of 15 feet wire from a breaker to outlet (8 circuits from a sub panel). The wires are cryo treated Romex 12AWG.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Can anyone in UK tell me what is the circled box in this picture? It's my mains set-up: FB - main fuse board; ME - meter; 100F - 100A fuse; M - incoming mains cable; H - Henley blocks to split mains tails into hifi consumer unit; HIFI - dedicated board with 2 radials out to double sockets. Thx.
I’ll s the main breaker after the utility meter
the terminal block in black is used to make more then one tap
Looks like two taps are being used

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Not sure if this is directly on point, @Audire, but when I moved to Austin I had what I would call an electrical "subsystem" installed for the hi-fi-- 60 amps coming off the main service panel to a secondary panel, which then ran 4 gauge into a 10kVa iso transformer. The output of the iso transformer was also 4 gauge and ran up to the second floor- a junction box was used but ultimately another "local" service panel was installed for the system where the electricians ran 4x 10 gauge dedicated lines. I never looked to see what fed that "local" service panel-- would 4 gauge normally fit or would the electricians have made the conversion from 4 to 10 at the last junction box?
In any case, it all sounded good if a little bright at first, but the system wasn't fully dialed in at this stage. The work was done by a commercial electrical company here that did large institutional, city and other far bigger projects than mine.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Can anyone in UK tell me what is the circled box in this picture? It's my mains set-up: FB - main fuse board; ME - meter; 100F - 100A fuse; M - incoming mains cable; H - Henley blocks to split mains tails into hifi consumer unit; HIFI - dedicated board with 2 radials out to double sockets. Thx.
Do you have any pics of the service entrance cable shown under the meter
It’s a black cable
The pic I’m looking for is what’s connected to that cable from the utility power
Specifically is it 3 wires or just 2 wires

Camfristed

Feb 14, 2023
Hey @ Bill Hart, The use of a dedicated electrical subsystem with a 10kVa iso transformer shows a serious commitment to quality power for your audio gear. As for the wiring size, it's not uncommon for electricians to use a larger gauge wire and then step down to a smaller gauge at junction boxes or subpanels to accommodate the needs of the circuit. This ensures that the circuit can handle the required current without overheating.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
... The wires are cryo treated Romex 12AWG.
Very smart. I did the same back in 2007 when preparing my new listening room. Did it help? No clue as this was a new room. The system had been down for 5 or 6 months so no way to confirm. But based on all my previous experiences with cryo-treating everything I could get my hands on electrical-wise, I've no doubt it didn't hurt.

Only problem was at that time I was only familiar with the more popular and restricted performance flavor of cryo-treating via the inferior vapor method and it wasn't until maybe 2013 that I was introduced to the sonically superior full-immersion method. As one expert told me, the difference is like eating half-baked cookies vs fully baked cookies and so it seemed performance-wise.

By 2006 I was having all my electrical wires and objects double-cryo'ed, including the 2007 Romex in my new room for even greater performance than the single-treated vapor method. But even the double-cryo'ed vapor method is sonically inferior to a single cryo-treatment via the full-immersion method.

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
A 75M roll of #12/2 NMD90 wire is $262.00 I can only imagine what a custom roll of Cryo treated wire would cost.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
A 75M roll of #12/2 NMD90 wire is $262.00 I can only imagine what a custom roll of Cryo treated wire would cost.
I guess it's all relative as I know some who spend many thousands more on a component whose sonic benefits are less than a handful of simple electrical objects cryo-treated via the full immersion method.

Back in 2007, my cryo'ing vendor in the mid-west (I'm west coast) purchased two rolls of 12g and 14g at 250ft per roll at his local hardware store and then double-cryo'ed and shipped to me for a total cost of about $600. Chump change really considering what it might bring to the mix.

Especially since it has to do with improving general electric current / input signal flow - which is really the only thing we care about regarding our playback systems, right? It's all 100% electric current / input signal flow and the quality thereof, isn't it? All the way from the power plant up to and including the speakers 'voice coils? Ok, 95% electrical if your source is analog.

IOW, every time somebody spends resources on genuine electrical improvements of any sort, all the angels of heaven rejoice... I mean, some might call call that performing proper due diligence.

Last edited:

Camfristed

Feb 14, 2023
Hey @ Bill Hart, The use of a dedicated electrical subsystem with a 10kVa iso transformer shows a serious commitment to quality power for your audio gear. As for the wiring size, it's not uncommon for electricians to use a larger gauge wire and then step down to a smaller gauge at junction boxes or subpanels to accommodate the needs of the circuit. This ensures that the circuit can handle the required current without overheating.

Additionally, if you're in Ottawa, you might consider contacting kanatautilitiesltd.ca for advice or assistance with your electrical setup. They could provide valuable insights and ensure everything is up to code.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing