bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
As an Emia LR owner, I concur; it is indeed in a separate class. It is fantastic. I've demoed several others at home also, but not a list as long as yours - though some of the same including Lamm, Allnic, and VdH.

Happy listening!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bruce, are you using the Trinnov listed in your system in the two channel?

BruceBW

Nov 9, 2021
systems.audiogon.com
Hi Bruce, are you using the Trinnov listed in your system in the two channel?

no , the phono system and theater are completely separate except for the L-R speakers. I have relays to switch them from the tube amp for phono to a multichannel SS amp for the theater.

my phono chain is pure as I can make it

cartridge >> SUT >> Emia LR >> Slagelformer volume >> 6SN7 transformer coupled to WE 300B >> output transformer >> speaker

all the tube amp power supplies are LCLCLC based on designs from Jeffrey at Emia, transformers are from Intact (Slagle) as well as most of the power supply chokes

adding anything else doesn't make any sense to me

The Trinnov has analog inputs so it could be used as a preamp, but it digitizes everything. I have tried it , but all my experiments with digitizing vinyl have resulted in a loss of life. I've also tried the Channel D Pure Vinyl software with various top level pro-audio ADCs and high end DACs with the same result. It sounds very, very good like high end digital does, but ultimately it just doesn't sound real. It doesn't sound analog.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
no , the phono system and theater are completely separate except for the L-R speakers. I have relays to switch them from the tube amp for phono to a multichannel SS amp for the theater.

cartridge >> SUT >> Emia LR >> Slagelformer volume >> 6SN7 transformer coupled to WE 300B >> output transformer >> speaker

all the tube amp power supplies are LCLCLC base on designs from Jeffrey at Emia

The Trinnov has analog inputs so it could be used as a preamp, but it digitizes everything. I have tried it , but all my experiments with digitizing vinyl have resulted in a loss of life. I've also tried the Channel D Pure Vinyl software with various top level pro-audio ADCs and high end DACs with the same result. It sounds very, very good like high end digital does, but ultimately it just doesn't sound real. It doesn't sound analog.
i use a Trinnov in my Home Theater. it's the ultimate tool for what it's designed to do, which is not ultimate music reproduction. fantastic for object based surround and room integration of multi-channel. music is plenty fun with the Trinnov, just not as real as other approaches can be.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

all the tube amp power supplies are LCLCLC base on designs from Jeffrey at Emia

thanks. Regarding Allnic 5000 Vs EMIA, had you rolled the recti or were you using the stock one?

BruceBW

Nov 9, 2021
systems.audiogon.com
i use a Trinnov in my Home Theater. it's the ultimate tool for what it's designed to do, which is not ultimate music reproduction. fantastic for object based surround and room integration of multi-channel. music is plenty fun with the Trinnov, just not as real as other approaches can be.
completely agree, for movies or listening to things like Abbey Road or Dark Side of the Moon in Atmos surround the Trinnov is phenomenal, using it in the vinyl playback chain not so much.

thanks. Regarding Allnic 5000 Vs EMIA, had you rolled the recti or were you using the stock one?

I never got the Allnic to quiet down to my satisfaction so gave up and sold it before I had any chance to play with the tubes.

So far have only used the tubes they sent with the Emia but working on getting a pair of D3A for the corrector

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
but all my experiments with digitizing vinyl have resulted in a loss of life. I've also tried the Channel D Pure Vinyl software with various top level pro-audio ADCs and high end DACs with the same result. It sounds very, very good like high end digital does, but ultimately it just doesn't sound real. It doesn't sound analog.
Great explanation. Thank you. IMHO more digital processes lead more departure from original analog sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing