Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

Fred Crowder recently replaced the stock Kimber power cords for connection to his pair of EMM Labs MTRX amplifiers with the Stage III Proteus power cables. He wrote an article that focuses on how they affected the sound of his system which includes the EMM Labs DA2 V2. He said, in part: "The Proteus contributes a last bit of transparency and musicality to the mix that helps me get to the point of not thinking about the format. ... Indeed, the Proteus, in keeping with the best gear, brings no attention to itself. The tonal balance is exemplary and, as much as I like the Kimber, what I hear now seems more full-bodied and authentic to the instruments and arrangements. The right amount of bass, midrange, treble, etc., with a full body to what I hear that is musically convincing. And, I can hear Miles’ tonal modulations down to the shifts in his lips, somewhat to my surprise, and his half valve gestures, and his tonal bends." (Dagogo, December 2020)

https://www.dagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Stage-III-Proteus-1.jpg

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I'm getting quieter sonics when the display on either the TSDX and TX2 are switched off. The difference is of such significance that I am compelled to leave them switched off regardless the inconvenience.

is there anyway to switch off the display on the DA2?

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Yes, on the emm Labs remote: top right button. It has 3 levels: display normal, display dimmed, display off.

Thanks!

I realize why I couldn't get the DA2 display off was - because I was using the DAC2X remote control!

The DA2 remote works perfectly for this.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Brought the NS1 home on Christmas Eve.
Found a bunch of cables inside that I won't be using.

Won't be using the RS232 cable. Can see every info I need to see on the handphone.
Besides, I wanted the DA2 display off anyway.

Connecting the NS1 by Toslink to the DA2.
DSD files played ok via Toslink.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Brought the NS1 home on Christmas Eve.
Found a bunch of cables inside that I won't be using.

Won't be using the RS232 cable. Can see every info I need to see on the handphone.
Besides, I wanted the DA2 display off anyway.

Connecting the NS1 by Toslink to the DA2.
DSD files played ok via Toslink.
You are using Toslink because the Optilink port is being used by the TSDX?

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
You are using Toslink because the Optilink port is being used by the TSDX?

Yes, the optilink is being used by the TX2

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The cat8 cable is phenomenal

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I have been using the the TSDX/DAC2X combo since around 2013. Over the years I have had to tear down and re-setup the system several times, and I've discovered that the ST optical cable that was supplied will only sound best when connected in one particular direction and not the other. The sonic differences manifest most specifically in soundstage size and height, plus imaging perspective. its not a subtle change.

The recent addition of TX2/DA2 allowed me to try the longtime incumbent ST optical cable on the new combo and, again, that particular direction which I have long been using prevails.

The interesting thing is that the new st optical cable that came supplied with the new combo also exhibit the same behaviour with directionality.

The cable clad in black is the original incumbent, which i find sounds better than the blue one. So naturally it goes with the TX2/DA2v2 combo.

The blue one initially sounds a bit softer, and slightly veiled. But after some swiping of the 2 tips over a piece of alcohol swab, the sound improved. I am more reluctant than before to plug in and out either of the ST optical cables if I need to use the NS1 streamer. So the streamer continues to be used with a glass fibre toslink cable.

Last edited:

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
I have been using the the TSDX/DAC2X combo since around 2013. Over the years I have had to tear down and re-setup the system several times, and I've discovered that the ST optical cable that was supplied will only sound best when connected in one particular direction and not the other. The sonic differences manifest most specifically in soundstage size and height, plus imaging perspective. its not a subtle change.

The recent addition of TX2/DA2 allowed me to try the longtime incumbent ST optical cable on the new combo and, again, that particular direction which I have long been using prevails.

The interesting thing is that the new st optical cable that came supplied with the new combo also exhibit the same behaviour with directionality.

The cable clad in black is the original incumbent, which i find sounds better than the blue one. So naturally it goes with the TX2/DA2v2 combo.

The blue one initially sounds a bit softer, and slightly veiled. But after some swiping of the 2 tips over a piece of alcohol swab, the sound improved. I am more reluctant than before to plug in and out either of the ST optical cables if I need to use the NS1 streamer. So the streamer continues to be used with a glass fibre toslink cable.
How would you characterize each direction?

I'm using the NS1 with the blue cable and it's been a little difficult to discern which direction is better, although they are different. One direction has a bigger and wider soundstage, but is also somewhat diffuse and dull. The other is more solid and present, more vocal forward, but the soundstage narrows and it seems a little more fatiguing. I'm in the process of auditioning new interconnects so it is hard to discern which is correct, or which is compensating for something else.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
How would you characterize each direction?

I'm using the NS1 with the blue cable and it's been a little difficult to discern which direction is better, although they are different. One direction has a bigger and wider soundstage, but is also somewhat diffuse and dull. The other is more solid and present, more vocal forward, but the soundstage narrows and it seems a little more fatiguing. I'm in the process of auditioning new interconnects so it is hard to discern which is correct, or which is compensating for something else.

Some of your description of the sonic differences is very similar to how I would describe what I heard, albeit with a bit of different interpretation.

One direction has a bigger, wider soundstage, that I agree.

I do find that the biggest differences especially, is the taller soundstage.
At times, with certain recordings, venue ambience cues reach all the way to the ceiling.
Voices are full length human standing sizes.
Certain sound effects - like in the case of the jet plane in the intro of Paul Hardcastle's "19" is vividly carved into the fabrics of space 2.5metres high up from the floor.
Perspective wise, the entire soundscape and imaging within it are placed in the space behind speakers baffles.
Imaging might not be that etched with razor-sharp outlines, but they are stable enough to not make my brain work as hard trying to localise them in the soundstage.

The other direction I would describe as making the soundstage more coagulated into a small bubble towards the center, in front of the speakers, such that soundstage is perceived to be narrow and very, very low.
The perspective is in front of speaker baffles, the jet plane in 19 now only hovers at the speaker tweeter height.
For me that's a big come down.
Voices no longer stand tall, all seem to be sitting down.
Overall, it's hard to listen for long as the sense of ease and musical flow that Meitner products are famous for seems to sound impeded.

It's easy for me to pick which one I want to listen to.

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The cat8 cable is phenomenal

How the hell would using a cat8 cable make a difference even when I'm playing from a USB stick?

Why ah?

Why LAN cable can still make such a big difference playing files from USB stick plugged into the back of the streamer as much as streaming files from Tidal?

Really don't understand...

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The whole chain being flummoxed - and the sonic differences are clearly audible - even if it is done just a day after the last one.

Nice

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Some of your description of the sonic differences is very similar to how I would describe what I heard, albeit with a bit of different interpretation.

One direction has a bigger, wider soundstage, that I agree.

I do find that the biggest differences especially, is the taller soundstage.
At times, with certain recordings, venue ambience cues reach all the way to the ceiling.
Voices are full length human standing sizes.
Certain sound effects - like in the case of the jet plane in the intro of Paul Hardcastle's "19" is vividly carved into the fabrics of space 2.5metres high up from the floor.
Perspective wise, the entire soundscape and imaging within it are placed in the space behind speakers baffles.
Imaging might not be that etched with razor-sharp outlines, but they are stable enough to not make my brain work as hard trying to localise them in the soundstage.

The other direction I would describe as making the soundstage more coagulated into a small bubble towards the center, in front of the speakers, such that soundstage is perceived to be narrow and very, very low.
The perspective is in front of speaker baffles, the jet plane in 19 now only hovers at the speaker tweeter height.
For me that's a big come down.
Voices no longer stand tall, all seem to be sitting down.
Overall, it's hard to listen for long as the sense of ease and musical flow that Meitner products are famous for seems to sound impeded.

It's easy for me to pick which one I want to listen to.
This makes a lot sense to me. In the end the mellow-wider direction was an easier listen.

But...I just got the Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus and it is way better than either direction (with NS1). Finally things are getting pretty close to analog, so much fluidity, more layers, more space, more width. More money too, ha.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
This makes a lot sense to me. In the end the mellow-wider direction was an easier listen.

But...I just got the Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus and it is way better than either direction (with NS1). Finally things are getting pretty close to analog, so much fluidity, more layers, more space, more width. More money too, ha.

Ok, now the question is - is the Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus also directional...?

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Yes! And fortunately they indicate which is the correct direction.

That's very good for Tommy to do the directionality marking.

No wonder the praises for his optic cables are unanimously outstanding from those privileged enough to have tried them.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
But why would optic fiber cables be directional?

Why would they sound different depending on which direction they are connected?

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
But why would optic fiber cables be directional?

Why would they sound different depending on which direction they are connected?
I don't know enough about glass, but the structure of the fiber material might effect light the same way grain/crystals in copper effect electricity.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I don't know enough about glass, but the structure of the fiber material might effect light the same way grain/crystals in copper effect electricity.

Someone has to grab hold of Tommy to get him to reveal how he arrive at each cable's directionality - by design/manufacturing or by listening?

Reactions: Ian B

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing