Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I have read and reread Daniel B?ezina ' reviews of the Soulution 760 DAC (October 24, 2018, Hi-Fi Voice) and the EMM Labs DV2 (April 2, 2020, Hi-Fi Voice ) Just to share.

His description of the 760 sounds: the bass line is simply unbelievable, the pulse of the bass is sinfully hypnotic, perfectly contoured, stiff, flexible and pulsating, simply exceptionally authoritative and relaxed a the same time, it's unbelievable how pure, realistic, phenomenally transparent, fantastic openness and even the subtlest nuance is there, concrete, clear and focused, phenomenally harmonious whole, absolutely no coloration, absolutely no emphasis, supremely technically brilliant reproduction, barely believable resolution even in the highest band, those waterfalls of detail around the cymbal, the cymbal was famously delicate, it was light, relaxed, and at the same time absolutely perfect, perfectly clean, clear, you can hear the reverberation, absolute absence of limits, the dynamics was excellent, the converter literally screams if you allow that expression, there is no taming, perfect precision, it's captivating and breathtaking, but the most fantastic thing about this converter is its informativeness, a microscope, myriads of subtleties, immediate, you are there, great naturalness and exceptional realism, the 760 seems to add a bit in size to the voices, instruments, and soundstage, fantastically controlled, airy, and three-dimensional space, not coldly technical, but actually musical, ... He concludes: the Soulution 760 is one of the absolute best ... it will shoo you into the center of the musical universe in a captivating, absolutely excellent way....

His description of the DV2 sounds: huge, perfectly phrased, fantastically accurate and clean, luxurious, flowing, completely of different dimension, the ease, the wonderful complexity, the naturalness, revealing even the finest nuances, one of the most detailed converters, can dig into the deepest layers of the recording, not the slightest trace of being mechanical, simply present, practically the best you can imagine, fantastic resolution, seamless throughout the audio frequencies, continuous, it's hard to find the right words to describe the ever-present, subtle and yet convincingly specific tapping of cymbals, non aggressive, authentic, so magnificently phrased and explosive, does not loose agility or precision, perfectly top-notch, organic, clarity, absolutely fantastically detailed the presentation of the strings, their textures, reverberations and resonance, extremely convincing, natural, you're there, exceptional clarity and transparency, a sense of real spaciousness of the soundstage, the air around the instruments, between instruments, the recording space, the walls of the room from which the sound is reflected, its rhythm, fluency and fantastic purity, with relaxed musicality. He concludes: Ed Meitner is a man who obviously knows what he's doing. His latest converter is still the pinnacle of audio electronics in terms of resolution and naturalness, ... Fascinating transparency, extraordinary detail and lifelike to the maximum, that's what you can expect when listening with the DV2 ... It is an exceptional device ...for those who only need the best.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

Lately, I have been listening to many classical SACDs which I have not listened to since I upgraded all my signal cables to the Ansuz Acoustics D-TC Supreme and the D-TC2 cables and those listening sessions were extremely revelatory and satisfying. The EMM Labs DV2 certainly requires the best state-of-the-art sound system to perform flawlessly!

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
A few things i've noticed:

The TX2 and DA2 combination benefit sonically when they are plugged into separate power circuits.
(used to have them plugged into a wall duplex together)
The difference is so great to the extend that they are no longer listenable to me now, if they are to be powered from the same duplex outlet again.

Ever since i noticed that playing digital files with different sampling rates straight after one and another, there is always some very audible sonic aberrations, i now also make it a point to "climatize" the dac by playing groups of digital files with the same sampling rates. And I also make it a point to "climatize" the tpt/dac when playing optical discs with different sampling rates - changing from RBCD to SACD and vice versa.

The TX2 and DA2 is even more revealing of different sonic qualities (than the TSDX/DAC2Xv2) that can be had when using different playback methodologies - like powering down and power up sequences, and track-cueing procedures.

- For powering down, I need to switch off physically at the back panel at the dac first, then followed up by the tpt.
Then I need to powered off the tpt completely at the mains. Only by doing so can I ensure there is complete playback memory erase.

- For powering up, I need to power on the tpt first, wait for it to settle, load the optical disc, let it read TOC and settle, then power up the dac.

(I also find very audible sonic differences if their display screens are switch off at this point. After play has commenced, shouldn't have no fiddling with the remote, because inputting infrared codes into them at that point does cause some audible sonic degradation.)

TX2/DA2v2 mutual interface sync are now more stable compared to the TSDX/DAC2Xv2.
Noticed no sync unlock issue when playing RBCDs when both the tpt and dac are freshly powered up.

The TX2 front face button interface is more responsive compared to the TSDX.
However it is even more important to ensure that the skip forward] button and [play] button are not pressed too closely in succession.
The TSDX tpt would go into pause mode when the [skip forward] button and [play] button are pressed too closely in succession.
OTOH, the sound will be very different, and can be very much less sonically satisfying if the timing gap between the 2 buttons are even just a split second longer.
The timing gap needs to be so very carefully input, the timing must be just right.
Then the sound is so much satisfactory.
The difference is so good, so compelling that I need to do it right.

Mgperdices

Aug 30, 2019
A few things i've noticed:

The TX2 and DA2 combination benefit sonically when they are plugged into separate power circuits.
(used to have them plugged into a wall duplex together)
The difference is so great to the extend that they are no longer listenable to me now, if they are to be powered from the same duplex outlet again.

Ever since i noticed that playing digital files with different sampling rates straight after one and another, there is always some very audible sonic aberrations, i now also make it a point to "climatize" the dac by playing groups of digital files with the same sampling rates. And I also make it a point to "climatize" the tpt/dac when playing optical discs with different sampling rates - changing from RBCD to SACD and vice versa.

The TX2 and DA2 is even more revealing of different sonic qualities (than the TSDX/DAC2Xv2) that can be had when using different playback methodologies - like powering down and power up sequences, and track-cueing procedures.

- For powering down, I need to switch off physically at the back panel at the dac first, then followed up by the tpt.
Then I need to powered off the tpt completely at the mains. Only by doing so can I ensure there is complete playback memory erase.

- For powering up, I need to power on the tpt first, wait for it to settle, load the optical disc, let it read TOC and settle, then power up the dac.

(I also find very audible sonic differences if their display screens are switch off at this point. After play has commenced, shouldn't have no fiddling with the remote, because inputting infrared codes into them at that point does cause some audible sonic degradation.)

TX2/DA2v2 mutual interface sync are now more stable compared to the TSDX/DAC2Xv2.
Noticed no sync unlock issue when playing RBCDs when both the tpt and dac are freshly powered up.

The TX2 front face button interface is more responsive compared to the TSDX.
However it is even more important to ensure that the skip forward] button and [play] button are not pressed too closely in succession.
The TSDX tpt would go into pause mode when the [skip forward] button and [play] button are pressed too closely in succession.
OTOH, the sound will be very different, and can be very much less sonically satisfying if the timing gap between the 2 buttons are even just a split second longer.
The timing gap needs to be so very carefully input, the timing must be just right.
Then the sound is so much satisfactory.
The difference is so good, so compelling that I need to do it right.
Thank you for your observations.

I own the DA2 V2 and NS1 and was hoping you could help me by answering the following questions:

1. Have you compared SQ between the Tx2 and NS1? In other words is there a significant difference between a file streamed through the NS1 vs. the same track played from a disc?

2. Is the Aural Symphonics cable significantly or just marginally better than the included one?

Thank you!

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011

I own the DA2 V2 and NS1 and was hoping you could help me by answering the following questions:

1. Have you compared SQ between the Tx2 and NS1? In other words is there a significant difference between a file streamed through the NS1 vs. the same track played from a disc?

2. Is the Aural Symphonics cable significantly or just marginally better than the included one?

Thank you!

Before answering your question, here's a couple of things you need to check first:

1) Listen to your reference test tracks with the emm labs optilink cable (that cheapo orange colour rubber band) connected one direction first, and then later, the other direction.

It is always a good idea to refresh your streamer/dac

Always shut down the dac first, followed by the streamer
When powering up, always power up the streamer first, followed up by the dac

Do you hear any sonic differences with both directions?

Can you describe what you hear?

If you can hear the difference, then proceed to the 2nd thingy....

2) Pick the direction which provided the larger, and taller soundstage.
Listen to 1 reference test track for a couple of minutes.
While it is playing, select this same track again and play it from the beginning.
Notice any change?

Now, from the same album/folder, select another track to play for a few seconds.
While it is playing, come out of the album/folder, go to another album/folder and select something to play for a few seconds (preferably this should be a track with very low level, quiet and long intro)
Then, come out and go back into the first album/folder and play that first reference track.
Notice any sonic change compared to the 2nd time you play that track?

Repeat:

While it is playing, select this same track and play it from the beginning.
Notice any change?

Now, from the same album/folder, select another track to play for a few seconds.
While it is playing, come out of the album/folder, go to another album/folder and select something to play for a few seconds (preferably this should be a track with very low level, quiet and long intro)
Then, come out and go back into the first album/folder and play that first reference track.

This whole exercise is to check if you can hear any sonic differences when you repeat a track that you are still playing at that moment. The other thing is to check whether you hear any difference when you play another track from this same album/folder, and then go playing something else before coming back to play that reference track. By doing this you are erasing playback memory to allow the streamer/dac to perform at its optimum.

If you can hear sonic difference by doing this, then we can go on and discuss the merits of optical transports vs streamer....

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018

Thank you!

Hi,

Is the Aural Symphonics optical cable significantly better than the AT&T? My answer is Yes! But you'll only notice this if the rest of your system is transparent enough.

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
Hi,

Is the Aural Symphonics optical cable significantly better than the AT&T? My answer is Yes! But you'll only notice this if the rest of your system is transparent enough.
Agree. The Aural Symphonics takes the TX2/DV2S2 to a new level.
I also have the NS1 but found SQ is acceptable but TX2/DA2S2 is magical so NS1 is not being used now. Please note my NS1 is probably not optimized as its not paired with any LPS/audiophile switches etc. So my experience with the NS1 may not be fair.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
We either connect the TX2 or the NS1, but not both.

...and we all know why...

...their stupid, short sighted product planning policy....

Mgperdices

Aug 30, 2019
Before answering your question, here's a couple of things you need to check first:

1) Listen to your reference test tracks with the emm labs optilink cable (that cheapo orange colour rubber band) connected one direction first, and then later, the other direction.

It is always a good idea to refresh your streamer/dac

Always shut down the dac first, followed by the streamer
When powering up, always power up the streamer first, followed up by the dac

Do you hear any sonic differences with both directions?

Can you describe what you hear?

If you can hear the difference, then proceed to the 2nd thingy....

2) Pick the direction which provided the larger, and taller soundstage.
Listen to 1 reference test track for a couple of minutes.
While it is playing, select this same track again and play it from the beginning.
Notice any change?

Repeat:

While it is playing, select this same track and play it from the beginning.
Notice any change?

This whole exercise is to check if you can hear any sonic differences when you repeat a track that you are still playing at that moment. The other thing is to check whether you hear any difference when you play another track from this same album/folder, and then go playing something else before coming back to play that reference track. By doing this you are erasing playback memory to allow the streamer/dac to perform at its optimum.

If you can hear sonic difference by doing this, then we can go on and discuss the merits of optical transports vs streamer....
Thank you for your reply.

I tried to flip the cable and did not hear too much of a meaningful difference. Perhaps a little bit of a wider soundstage one way but nothing that was very pronounced.

I do agree that there are some benefits to clearing playback memory. I also have an Aurender attached to the DA2 and each time I clear the cache or restart the unit, I do notice an improvement. Most of the time, however, I just let it play between formats and sample rates.

Mgperdices

Aug 30, 2019
Hi,

Agree. The Aural Symphonics takes the TX2/DV2S2 to a new level.
I also have the NS1 but found SQ is acceptable but TX2/DA2S2 is magical so NS1 is not being used now. Please note my NS1 is probably not optimized as its not paired with any LPS/audiophile switches etc. So my experience with the NS1 may not be fair.
Thank you both for your replies.

The primary streamer(s) that I use with the DA2 is an Aurender W20/ACS10. My original intention for the NS1 was to use with Roon and other DLNA programs primarily for cloud based streaming (Tidal, Qobuz, etc.).

The NS1, however, sounds very (positively) different from the Aurender units and I find Roon such a joy to use. As such, it is worth investing in to maximize the unit's SQ.

Based on your replies, it seems that the AS cable is superior and I will likely purchase one .

Mgperdices

Aug 30, 2019
We either connect the TX2 or the NS1, but not both.

...and we all know why...

...their stupid, short sighted product planning policy....
I actually tried to purchase a TX2 but was told they were discontinued. So I bought another transport instead and the NS1 mainly for cloud based streaming. Since the single optilink connection is already taken by the NS1, I suppose the transport is definitively out for me...although I really would have loved to have one!

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Thank you for your reply.

I tried to flip the cable and did not hear too much of a meaningful difference. Perhaps a little bit of a wider soundstage one way but nothing that was very pronounced.

I do agree that there are some benefits to clearing playback memory. I also have an Aurender attached to the DA2 and each time I clear the cache or restart the unit, I do notice an improvement. Most of the time, however, I just let it play between formats and sample rates.

You can hear differences with change of directionality with optical cables!!

Congratulations, you are truly one of those unique individuals with superhuman level listening acuity!

There are those who play with much more expensive hifi and optical measuring equipment than all of us on this thread that claim that optical cables have no directionality, and even if there is, humans are not supposed to hear it

That's a very good start. We can go on to discuss the merits of optical discs playback vs streaming.....

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I have the DV2 and interested in optical cable upgrade options.
The Aural Symphonics cable is way too expensive for me to consider.
Any other company make optical cables to look at???

Mgperdices

Aug 30, 2019
I have the DV2 and interested in optical cable upgrade options.
The Aural Symphonics cable is way too expensive for me to consider.
Any other company make optical cables to look at???
LIfatec USA apparently make a very good and significantly cheaper alternative.

Ive copied a link below from the Roon forum where the poster confirms the Lifatec cable is "better than the original" stock NS1 cable.
LIfatec Optical Cable

I believe the cable costs approximately $150.00.

Reactions: gfroman

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi folks,

I can't help but share with you guys what I have just heard via the EMM Labs DV2, Constellation Audio Centaur, Magico M2, Magico Q-Sub 15. I was transported to the splendid acoustic of the Heinz Hall in Pittsburgh, PA, when listening to this recording: Dvorak Symphony No. 8, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Manfred Honeck (Reference Recordings SACD). Stunningly played and recorded. Here is Dvorak and Honeck doing everything they can to whip up excitement! Instrumental timbre was warm, rich and resonant; the dynamics and tempo were thrilling! But, for me, this level of performance is possible only when using the Ansuz Acoustic D-TC Supreme and D-TC2 signal cables.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I have not listened to J. S. Bach 's Goldberg Variations by the Britten Sinfonia (harmonia mundi SACD) since I upgraded my signal cables to Ansuz Acoustic d-tc supreme and d-tc2 until now and the outcome was extremely satisfying. The timbre of the string instruments was exactly right. I especially loved the woody, resonant sounds from the body of the string instruments!

Reactions: tonytsui

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

If you want to show off your EMM Labs DA2/DV2, and the rest of your sound system is transparent enough, I recommend this recording of demonstration quality: Shostakovich Symphony No. 5, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Manfred Honeck, Reference Recordings SACD. The brass timbre was pure, brassy and just right. The flute was airy, poetic, brilliant, silvery, clear and ethereal. The solo violin was so sweet. The tempo and dynamics were off the chart. Imaging and the soundstage were excellent.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
shm sacd vs regular sacd

but first, wipe with alcohol on these recent acquisitions...

Disc to disc comparison is of course not a trivial activity, made complicated by the need to refresh both the transport and the dac to clear off playback memory retention before playing any disc.

The meitner dac makes this task much harder by not allowing the display function to be set to off permanently.

The tpt does allow this, but why not the dac?

Another feature that Meitner overlooked?

Turning off the display off either of the tpt and the dac results in dramatically much quieter background, more stable imaging, and definitely more relaxing sound to the ears.

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
My dealer just msg me say there is a new firmware update for the NS1.

Anybody knows what improvements are supposed to come with the new fw update?

Frankly, I'm enjoying the TX2 and DA2 combination so much I very reluctant to unplug the tpt to switch to the streamer unless it is really worth it.

Unless there is MQA support via the emm optilink, otherwise, hmm....,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing